stupid question about Mercury 4 night cruise

gingergal

Sorry if this is daft question but can't seem to find an answer.

We are looking to go on our 1st cruise - Mercury 4 night PNW.

Wasn't until after I booked it I realised Mercury didn't have alternative restauarants (didn't say that on x website) and its the dining room or the grill/buffet.

I know they put table covers on the tables in the buffet in the evenings but if it is by the pool (looking at the diagram of the ship) is it outside?

It sounds lovely and romantic if you are in the caribbean but end of Sept, out at sea of shore of Canada can imagine it would be freezing LOL if it was outside in the evening!

Also if it was undercover and warm enough I read you had to make reservations for the buffet in the evening but had conflicting reports as some said it shut at 6pm.

Just was wondering if it was open on the formal night ( so to have an alternative if we wanted one) and we could go there later in the evening (7-8pm) and if it was open the other nights, and was it even open in the evenings for the shorter 4 night cruise.

thanks

I dont know about Mercury but Galaxy also has no alternative restaurant but the buffet became a very nice alternative with table cloths and waiter service inside. They just set a few tables in the middle of the room. We made a reservation but it wasnt necessary. We went on the 2nd of our 3 formal nights and really enjoyed it. Hope that helps as I am sure Mercury would be pretty similar.

--------

Helen

I dont know about Mercury but Galaxy also has no alternative restaurant but the buffet became a very nice alternative with table cloths and waiter service inside. They just set a few tables in the middle of the room. We made a reservation but it wasnt necessary. We went on the 2nd of our 3 formal nights and really enjoyed it. Hope that helps as I am sure Mercury would be pretty similar.

--------

Helen

thanks for you reply. Was it outside? I think it sounds great just don't know if it will work being cold etc.

also if anyone has done the same cruise can you tell me what time muster is? Someone over in the 1st time crusier said celebrity did it the following morning? If it is, is it very early as we like to lie in :o

Hi,

For the OP, no, it will not be outside.

The Palm Springs Cafe is an indoor venue.

If you look closely at the deck plans for Mercury, that fine line aft of the Palm Spring Pool is a glass wall. The pool here is only "open" to the outside if the roof above is rolled back.

Have a great cruise! We love these weekend getaways here in the PNW.

CM

Hi,

For the OP, no, it will not be outside.

The Palm Springs Cafe is an indoor venue.

If you look closely at the deck plans for Mercury, that fine line aft of the Palm Spring Pool is a glass wall. The pool here is only "open" to the outside if the roof above is rolled back.

Have a great cruise! We love these weekend getaways here in the PNW.

CM

thanks thats great to know and an unexpected welcome surprise that the pool is undercover so 'doable' in the PNW in autumn :)

Hello,

I do not want to get into any arguments about formal nights, but since this is your first cruise it isn't going to cause you or your whatever problems to take some dress up clothes. This does not mean a tux or a long gown. A jacket and a tie for him and a pair of black pants and a nice top for her is reasonable.

I am suggesting that you do attend the formal night because I want you to experience cruising at its best and formal nights on the Mercury are special (at least to my wife and I).

Also, after you board the Mercury, go see the Manhattan Dining room, which is the main dining room on the Mercury. If you can, climb the circular staircase and look out over the Manhattan dining room from upstairs.

The alternative dining room is indoors and it is a sit down dinner with service. It is nice enough but not nearly as nice as having dinner in the Manhattan Room.

My DW and I have sailed on the Mercury twice for a total of 20 days at sea, and the Mercury is a very nice ship in all aspects.

Fred

We have taken two 4 day cruises on the Mercury out of Seattle. The main dinning room is extremely nice. On the 4 day cruise the formal night was not really formal. Sport coat and tie was the norm. No tuxedos that we noticed. It is a great cruise. Nanimo is a great little town that is growing by leaps and bounds. Just a walk along the harbor for the day with stops in some of the eateries is great! Victoria is very walkable nad a great place to just explore. No need for any ship excursions.

We also live in WA in the Seattle area. Great cruise since we had no air.

Dick

thank you. I agree with the poster re formal night (it was my husband who isn't gungho about dressing up but he is doing so - suit and tie - for my sake :))

I just wished to know if there was an alternative dining bit which I am pleased there is (and I didn't know it wasn't a buffet so thats a nice addition)

Just some questions still :o-

# I take it is open every evening (the one at the pool) and do we need reservations. And is it of good standard (better than a standard buffet line)?

#so if the pool is undercover (I think) will it be warm enough to swim in at that time of year?

#And is the muster drill usually on the a'noon/early evening sailing at 5pm or is it the following morning?

thank you so much the info and the help on this site has been invaluable (far better than the cruises own website!)

Hi Gingergal,

We have done 4 cruises on the lovely Mercury.

The dining experience is wonderful in the main Manhatten Dining Room, so don't miss the experience.

Up in the Palm Springs Grill there is good alternative dining. You must reserve a table though because it is not a big dining area. It is still a la carte with full service. What we found was the staff who served us there were under training, but they where still excellent. As well as the a la carte choice there was always a theme of Asian, or whatever plus the pasta bar is always a casual option too. There you can have them make your choice of a fresh pasta or pizza.

You won't go hungry over your four days that's for sure.;)

Enjoy the Mercury she's a lovely friendly and happy ship.

Jillybean:)

For the nightime Alternative Dining, they put table clothes on the tables, have a menu, and have waiter service. There is a $2 per person tip charge that you can put on your Sign and Sail card. Reservations are recommended.

The menu is not the same menu as what is in the Main Dining room and it doesn't really vary from night to night. During our cruise in August, the appetizers included Shrimp Cocktail and Escargot. The entree's included a Strip Steak, a Pasta, Salmon, etc. It was a nice menu but not overly exciting. On your first night on the ship, I would recommend wandering over to the Alternative Dining area and taking a look at the menu.

Another tip is that if there is something on the Alternative Dining menu that you like and you happen to be in the main dining room and don't like the Main Dining Room choices, you can ask your waiter if you can have something that is on the Alternative Dining menu. 9 times out of 10, he'll be able to get it for you. They also post the Main Dining Room menus daily just after lunch outside the Main Dining Room, you can check that out early too.

Have a great cruise.

Just some questions still :o-

# I take it is open every evening (the one at the pool) and do we need reservations. And is it of good standard (better than a standard buffet line)?

#so if the pool is undercover (I think) will it be warm enough to swim in at that time of year?

#And is the muster drill usually on the a'noon/early evening sailing at 5pm or is it the following morning?

thank you so much the info and the help on this site has been invaluable (far better than the cruises own website!)

Hi,

Taking your questions:

Open every evening? Your daily program/newsletter in the stateroom will list the times that Alternate Dining is open.

Is it of good standard? Yes, the food served in Alternate Dining is excellent. Being in an 'alternate' location doesn't mean it comes from a different kitchen/galley or is of lesser quality.

Will the covered pool be warm enough this time of year? Yes. Enjoy it!

Muster drill? The SOLAS drill will likely be held just prior to sailaway on the afternoon you first board the vessel.

You're gonna have such a fun time!!

CM

Just want you to know that you can have dinner served in your room. It is the same meal choices as in the main dining room. We did this on our last Mercury cruise. If you have a balcony, this is extra nice.

We did it because some of our group were having trouble with seasickness and the dining room was very rough.

I am going on the 4 night on the Mercury with my husband this time. We may enjoy a dinner on our balcony.

Not 100% sure but I think on Merc when we did the alt dining (by res there was a basketball court somewhere nearby--very distracting...

The alternative dining on Mercury is up on 'Resort' deck where breakfast and lunch is served, if you don't have it in the Manhatten dining room. The tables for dinner are set exactly the same as they are in the Manhatten but the menu is different. It's nice there because you can sit by the window looking out of the bay window at the ocean.

This is inside so there isn't a basketball court there.

Jillybean:)

Archived