Is Phu My, Vietnam a tender port?

Denverite

The Pacific Princess is about the size of the Seabourn/Silversea ships. They have room to dock. No comparison to the Diamond/Sapphire.

The Pacific Princess is 3 times the size of the Seabourn sisters and twice the size of 2 of the Silverseas ships but there is a HUGE advantage in many ports ( St Petersburg, Bangkok, Ho Chi Minh City and countless Mediterranean ports ) to be in a non monster theme park type ship. (:eek: )

The Pacific Princess is 3 times the size of the Seabourn sisters and twice the size of 2 of the Silverseas ships but there is a HUGE advantage in many ports ( St Petersburg, Bangkok, Ho Chi Minh City and countless Mediterranean ports ) to be in a non monster theme park type ship. (:eek: )

Thank you for the correct info. I KNEW the Pacific Princess was considerably smaller than the Diamond or Sapphire. I didn't realize it was that much larger than either the Seabourn or Silverseas ships. But as you point out, ships the size of the Pacific/Tahitian Princess/Oceania can get into a lot more docks than the behemoths.

We have just returned from the Diamond Princess Beijing to Bangkok cruise. At Nha Trang we were tendered ashore using the Diamond's own tenders. At Phu My we docked and were able to walk off the ship. My review of this cruise is on the Princess board. The only other tender was in Hong Kong which was an absolute nightmare. Ship had to move to safer waters due to swell which had resulted in long delays in leaving the ship on the first morning. Thereafter, it took 45 minutes from the ship to the pier and vice versa. Local tenders were used.The queues from the pier to the ship on the last afternoon were indescribable as all the coaches arrived back at the same time. We queued for an hour before getting on a tender.

We have just returned from the Diamond Princess Beijing to Bangkok cruise. At Nha Trang we were tendered ashore using the Diamond's own tenders. At Phu My we docked and were able to walk off the ship. My review of this cruise is on the Princess board. The only other tender was in Hong Kong which was an absolute nightmare. Ship had to move to safer waters due to swell which had resulted in long delays in leaving the ship on the first morning. Thereafter, it took 45 minutes from the ship to the pier and vice versa. Local tenders were used.The queues from the pier to the ship on the last afternoon were indescribable as all the coaches arrived back at the same time. We queued for an hour before getting on a tender.

Again, were you TRULY in Phu My (Skyscraper City/South Saigon/Ba Ria Serece) or were you in Ba Tai Ratoi, which is also called Phu My?? Just curious, as I received this email from Vietnam last evening. We need to buy mangosteen and dragon fruit and I contacted a new vendor. They informed me we had to trans-ship via Hong Kong UNLESS I wanted to pay the higher price from Ba Tai Ratoi, which IS a docking port. Ba Ria Serece, which is closer to Saigon by about 15 miles and has cheaper shipping rates, is the port they have been working diligently on to get it deep enough for the larger ships. I will be there in about three weeks, so guess I will see if the company is trying to rip me off.

Here is the email. Please note the 5th paragraph.

"Dear Ms XXXXXX,

Thank you for your email.

From the picture and your email we know that you have a favor for our products - BiMin and we are very happy to know this. Thanks again.

Please let us know what is the quantity would you like to purchase this time? As our MOQ is now 1500 cartons per size/quality. And the MOQ for an order is over 5000 cartons. We are sorry that with a small quantity we could not take shipment or transfer.

About the price condition, we export under FOB price, not CNF to your country. Could you accept this? And certainly the size, the quality, the confirmation samples will be made at your expectation and ship via air. We only take wire or letter of credit.

We trans-ship at Hong Kong. Ba Ria not finished on today’s date. Ship out of Ba Tai Ratoi is higher price than tranship. If ship via Phnom Penh, Cambodia, we not pay export tariff.

For the shipping arrangment, we will work under FOB term. So, please confirm us, do you agree with all points as above. If yes, we will quote the best price for you.

Many thanks and best regards,

Alicia (Ms)

(Vietnamses name: Ngo Thi Huong Thao)

Export Marketing Executive

TRANG TIEN HUNG CORP.,PTE.,LTD.

22 Chieu Hoang St. , Dist.6

Ho Chi Minh City , Viet Nam

Direct line : 84-8-3420614

Tel : 84-8-6754513 Ext: 206 - 294

Fax :84-8-6753443

Mobile : 84-809 103 273"

As I am a Travel Agent I was able to talk directly to Princess Cruise today. They have confirmed a tender will take passengers to Phu My.

I watched Diamond Princess's Bridge Cam and it came alongside at Phu My ie NO tender

Again, were you TRULY in Phu My (Skyscraper City/South Saigon/Ba Ria Serece) or were you in Ba Tai Ratoi, which is also called Phu My?? Just curious, as I received this email from Vietnam last evening. We need to buy mangosteen and dragon fruit and I contacted a new vendor. They informed me we had to trans-ship via Hong Kong UNLESS I wanted to pay the higher price from Ba Tai Ratoi, which IS a docking port. Ba Ria Serece, which is closer to Saigon by about 15 miles and has cheaper shipping rates, is the port they have been working diligently on to get it deep enough for the larger ships. I will be there in about three weeks, so guess I will see if the company is trying to rip me off.

Here is the email. Please note the 5th paragraph.

"Dear Ms XXXXXX,

Thank you for your email.

From the picture and your email we know that you have a favor for our products - BiMin and we are very happy to know this. Thanks again.

Please let us know what is the quantity would you like to purchase this time? As our MOQ is now 1500 cartons per size/quality. And the MOQ for an order is over 5000 cartons. We are sorry that with a small quantity we could not take shipment or transfer.

About the price condition, we export under FOB price, not CNF to your country. Could you accept this? And certainly the size, the quality, the confirmation samples will be made at your expectation and ship via air. We only take wire or letter of credit.

We trans-ship at Hong Kong. Ba Ria not finished on today’s date. Ship out of Ba Tai Ratoi is higher price than tranship. If ship via Phnom Penh, Cambodia, we not pay export tariff.

For the shipping arrangment, we will work under FOB term. So, please confirm us, do you agree with all points as above. If yes, we will quote the best price for you.

Many thanks and best regards,

Alicia (Ms)

(Vietnamses name: Ngo Thi Huong Thao)

Export Marketing Executive

TRANG TIEN HUNG CORP.,PTE.,LTD.

22 Chieu Hoang St. , Dist.6

Ho Chi Minh City , Viet Nam

Direct line : 84-8-3420614

Tel : 84-8-6754513 Ext: 206 - 294

Fax :84-8-6753443

Mobile : 84-809 103 273"

Hi Greatam

Not sure is the answer to your question. However, this is what was written in the Log of the Cruise which was distributed to every stateroom on the last night of the cruise.

Sarturday October 18th 2008 - Phu My

At 0519 this morning we boarded our Viatnamese pilot and began our transit up the Song Saigon River. We made our final approaches towards our river berth where we were all fast alongside by 0720.

Hope this helps. It was certainly a port area as it was very unattractive and industrial.

Ros

• 1 month later...

I am doing the Bangkok to Beijing cruise next March on Diamond Princess and would like to read your review. You refer to the Princess board - where can I find that. Thanks for your help.

Roger

• 1 year later...

We will be arriving in Phu My instead of Vung Tau (for Ho Chi Minh City)on the QM2 in a few weeks. Has anyone been there recently? It sounds like a large ship like the QM2 may be a challenge, but maybe they have upgraded the port. Is it likely to be a tender port? How long does it take to get to HMC? The reason given for the change was that it would be easier to get to HCMC.

We will be arriving in Phu My instead of Vung Tau (for Ho Chi Minh City)on the QM2 in a few weeks. Has anyone been there recently? It sounds like a large ship like the QM2 may be a challenge, but maybe they have upgraded the port. Is it likely to be a tender port? How long does it take to get to HMC? The reason given for the change was that it would be easier to get to HCMC.

That will be a sight to see, QM2 sailing up the Mekong. Legend seemed big sailing up the river last year so can't imagine what QM2 will be like. Dock was very basic but that was the same for both Vietnamese and the Cambodian ports. Can't imagine it will be tender as river doesn't seem wide enough for QM2 to be anchored and allow other ships to pass. Took about two hours I think to get from port to Saigon, not that far but roads ordinary and very crowded so bus couldn't speed along. We swung around 180 degrees as we left wharf so that we could sail back down the river - it is a long way back out to sea - and I imagine QM2 will have to do the same. Wow!

• 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived