Questions on Elite Perks

ccrain

Our 16th and 17th cruise has now been paid for and we received the coveted black cards on Friday along with our membership guides.

I've read all the literature about the new perks, but I have some questions and I'm sure there are a few tips and tricks to getting the most out of them. Here are a few questions:

1 - For priority tendering do you just go down to the tender, flash the card and get on?

2 - Deluxe Canapes? - Do you order them and they get charged, then credited to your bill?

3 - Mini-Bar Setup - What's in it and what can you trade out?

4 - Complimentary wine tasting - There are typically two, which one? Or Both? Just show up and flash the card?

5 - Free Laundry (Oh YEAAHHHH!) - Do you get the priority "day of" at no additional charge? How long do you typically wait for laundry to come back? With free laundry, how many days of clothes do you pack now?

6 - Priority Disembarkation - I assume if you have a transfer you still have to get off when the transfer is called? I assume you can't get off with the self help crowd if you have luggage waiting on shore?

7 - Traditional Afternoon Tea - Is this different from High Tea or is it delivered to your stateroom.

Any other tips, tricks or suggestions are welcome!

Our 16th and 17th cruise has now been paid for and we received the coveted black cards on Friday along with our membership guides.

I've read all the literature about the new perks, but I have some questions and I'm sure there are a few tips and tricks to getting the most out of them. Here are a few questions:

1 - For priority tendering do you just go down to the tender, flash the card and get on?

2 - Deluxe Canapes? - Do you order them and they get charged, then credited to your bill?

4 - Complimentary wine tasting - There are typically two, which one? Or Both? Just show up and flash the card?

5 - Free Laundry (Oh YEAAHHHH!) - Do you get the priority "day of" at no additional charge? How long do you typically wait for laundry to come back? With free laundry, how many days of clothes do you pack now?

6 - Priority Disembarkation - I assume if you have a transfer you still have to get off when the transfer is called? I assume you can't get off with the self help crowd if you have luggage waiting on shore?

7 - Traditional Afternoon Tea - Is this different from High Tea or is it delivered to your stateroom.

I made Elite at the end of my last cruise, so these are my understanding.

1. Tendering - You get a priority ticket, and then just go to the tender gangway when you are ready. You can get additional tickets if you are traveling or touring with others. A friend got about 15 in one port where we all had a private tour together.

2. Yes, you have to order.

3. I think you get 4 minibottles plus some sodas. You have some choice, but I don't think you get the top of the line stuff.

4. There is a separate winetasting for Elites. You will get and invite.

5. Normally, laaundry comes back the next day. Not sure about charge for same day.

6. If there are multiple times for your destination, you can get the time you prefer. For self-debarkation, you still must carry off.

7. You can have afternoon tea surved in your cabin.

1 - For priority tendering do you just go down to the tender, flash the card and get on? Depending on the ship, sometimes our black card is all we have needed, other times they issue priority tender passes. You just go directly to the tendering area/deck and join the back of the line, no need to get numbers and wait for your number/group to be called in the lounge.

2 - Deluxe Canapes? - Do you order them and they get charged, then credited to your bill? The charge does not show up anywhere and is not deducted. These are only available on formal nights and you put a card out (much like your breakfast card) by a certain time that morning if you want them delivered that evening.

I posted a picture below of what the mini bar, one time set up includes. I have heard some have been able to switch out items, but honestly, we have never done that.

4 - Complimentary wine tasting - There are typically two, which one? Or Both? Just show up and flash the card? Again, never done this before.

You can check the one day service at no additional charge. Just remember, items must be in very early to get them back for same day service.

What happens here is Princess sends a sheet to your stateroom asking YOU what time you would like to disembark. You fill it in and drop it off and that will be the color tags you receive.

This is afternoon tea that is delivered to your stateroom. Just like you would get in a full suite, only it doesn't matter what type of stateroom you are in to order it as an Elite member.

Picture of complimentary mini bar set up:

2641111070046132864vUJewR_th.jpg

For a larger shot of the mini bar, follow this link: http://family.webshots.com/photo/2641111070046132864vUJewR?vhost=family

CONGRATS on making Elite Status in the Captain's Circle!

Sometimes you get a priority temder card the night befpre and sometimes you use your card - do not push to tje start of the line, however, you can go with any line.

Again, sometimes they give you a standard fare and sometimes you get to choose - it is not put on your bill.

Yes, you can trade out - just call room service and tell them what you want traded. It is a mix of liquors, beer water and soda.

Usually the first one which is the cheaper of the two - just use your card.

If you mark the card express and get it to your steward by 8 - 8:30 you usually get it back by 5:30.

You can have it delivered to your room.

Ron

CONGRATS on making Elite Status in the Captain's Circle!

A picture's worth a 1,000 words. That will substantially cut down on the bar bill - that's about $60 - $70 worth of stuff. 8 shots, two beers, 4 sodas, 2 sparkling and 2 plain water.

What a deal!

I think we're going to like this!

A picture's worth a 1,000 words. That will substantially cut down on the bar bill - that's about $60 - $70 worth of stuff. 8 shots, two beers, 4 sodas, 2 sparkling and 2 plain water.

What a deal!

I think we're going to like this!

Princess has some very nice perks for Elite members, and it spoils you big time. I KNOW you will like this, no doubt in my mind. DH loves the complimentary bar, and I love the idea of not having to spend my vacation time in the self service laundry rooms. lol

Remember also, you can send things out for 'press only' which is also included, so no more long hours of ironing and trying to get the wrinkles out once you get onboard.

Enjoy your first cruise as an Elite Member.........................! :)

Good information.

It looks like the full elite package is worth close to a couple of hundred dollars per cruise. That's a significant chunk of change!

I suspect, as Princess does as well, that I will now hesitate booking a cruise on another line as a "normal" passenger - and they are right!

As a United and Hilton Elite as well, the perks and freebies do make one hesitate before booking a with a different company.

Just flash your black card & mingle in with the tender line although we were once on a Sun Princess ship where the person at the stairs denied us getting on until ALL the Princess tours had disembarked. This was an uniformed new employee I later found out.

Ask you cabin steward & he can make some changes if you don't like the standard setup.

The one included is the first tasting session of the two. They'll give you each a complementary shot glass.

http://inlinethumb14.webshots.com/36685/2596830950103243266S600x600Q85.jpg

The newer design are the two on the outside - the center glass is the older.

Watch out for some major shrinkage if you use the laundry option. The dry cleaning seems to be OK.

I also forgot to mention that on some Princess ships, in some ports, they're collecting the cruise cards upon disembarkation. If you had any intention of keeping your cards as a souvenir, plan on misplacing :rolleyes: yours during the week so that you can get a replacement to turn in at the gangway.

Good information.

It looks like the full elite package is worth close to a couple of hundred dollars per cruise. That's a significant chunk of change!

I suspect, as Princess does as well, that I will now hesitate booking a cruise on another line as a "normal" passenger - and they are right!

As a United and Hilton Elite as well, the perks and freebies do make one hesitate before booking a with a different company.

You are so correct. Those wonderful perks are what keep a lot of us coming back, back, and back. Difficult to give up those perks to go on another line. Not that I will ever say never; but it's a major factor. Enjoy! You will love your Elite package. :p :p

You are so correct. Those wonderful perks are what keep a lot of us coming back, back, and back. Difficult to give up those perks to go on another line. Not that I will ever say never; but it's a major factor. Enjoy! You will love your Elite package. :p :p

Lynda,

Did you notice that we are on the same ships just a few weeks apart?

Great minds think alike?

You've received answers to pretty much all of your questions. The perks do add up to $100s, so they are great perks. On my 31-day Sapphire cruise, I figured that my Elite perks added up to almost $500 between Internet, mini-bar set-up and laundry.

For the laundry, I set it up to go out before leaving my cabin for dinner and it's back the next evening. I've also had almost all of my mini-bar set up switched out for vodka, water and Diet Sprite. Your cabin steward will put a form in your cabin the day before formal night with the list of canapes that you can order. Just fill it out and it'll come between 4 - 5:00pm or thereabouts the next day. There's a list of about 8 - 10 options; they are not charged and then credited to your onboard account, they're just delivered. My last two cruises, on the Sapphire in April/May and on the Crown in July, no tender tickets required; just use your black card to disembark. When we were disembarking in St. Petersburg for a private tour, we were supposed to go to a lounge to get a disembarkation ticket but several of us were Elite so I told everyone to relax and leave when we wanted to. There were no problems since we were obvioiusly a group and several of us were Elite.

When you meet your cabin steward you can ask for the high tea tickets (a listing of what you want, but you must order 4 hours before, The same with the canapes (which include the option of chocolate covered strawberries yumm!). The last two times my steward swapped out the liquor selections for me like absolute vodka from a somewhat limited list. The laundry and dry cleaning can be done same day, but should be out by 8:30 or so. The wine tasting is the "grapevine" not the Maitre'd. I prefer the Maitre'd and there is no credit towards it. Finally one of the best benefits is the 10% off in the stores (including on jewelry). Enjoy!:)

When you meet your cabin steward you can ask for the high tea tickets (a listing of what you want, but you must order 4 hours before, The same with the canapes (which include the option of chocolate covered strawberries yumm!). The last two times my steward swapped out the liquor selections for me like absolute vodka from a somewhat limited list. The laundry and dry cleaning can be done same day, but should be out by 8:30 or so. The wine tasting is the "grapevine" not the Maitre'd. I prefer the Maitre'd and there is no credit towards it. Finally one of the best benefits is the 10% off in the stores (including on jewelry). Enjoy!:)

Skellis. . .do you mean you were able to swap out the standard Smirnoff's Vodka for Absolute? What ship were you on?

Good information.

And we haven't mentioned the internet credit, since it is for both platinum and elite members. That is another $75 to $200 per Elite member.

We have always switched out the alcohol for bottled water.

as we take medicine and shouldn't be drinking..and if I'm gonna be wild..

it will be at the free wine tasting or I will pay to order a caiparenia! :D

switching out the entire set up will net you 20 16 oz bottled waters..give or take 1 bottle.

Regarding laundry/drycleaning, I've always been told and done this..

Write Elite on your ticket and then mark express..it's always back the same day!

Canapes..my favorite is a breadstick with cantaloupe and then prosciutto holding the 2 together ..and of course the chocolate covered strawberries

you fill out the card request for the canapes..and you can say..bring only chocolate covered strawberries or whatever your choice..and I always say 2 Elite passengers in cabin..so then they bring enough

Tenders...lately we just have flashed the black card...in fact you are suppose to walk to the front of the line, that is straight from Captain Lupo himself...you don't ever have to wait for shorex to clear ..and if say blue/gold card holders give me attitude I just smile sweetly and say...it's part of the Elite benefit package just keep sailing with Princess and you will receive this wonderful benefit too...

sadly it doesn't give you priority coming back to the ship

I'm the highest ranking with Celebrity, RCCL and 138 days with Holland America...I've asked and pleaded with supervisors from their programs to match my Princess benefits...I've told them my loyalty is for sale...but no one has budged on their no match policy...so I keep returning to Princess...

internet and laundry...that's all I really need!

Yes. We were able to swap out liquor on the on both the Golden and the Dawn. Your cabin steward has a list of available mini bottles which included Absolute and Johnny Walker Red, and the beers can also be swapped.

Canapes are only available on formal nights, Tea and cookies/scones are available every day (possibly even embarkation day).

Yes, that does add up as well, but I have stuck to my promise to not use the internet since they limited it a while back (to Judy's absolute delight - we ballroom dance instead), but that may change (don't tell her)...our business is growing so rapidly, and becoming so competitive, that I may have to start taking a laptop.

And one of Princess's new perks is the inclusion of wireless into the package, something I asked for in my internet "protest" letter.

Fortunately company policy forbad me to take a laptop out of country - unless its hard drive is encrypted. This has provided me an excellent excuse over the past 18 months.

Unfortunately, I just ordered 5 new laptops for my group with encrypted hard drives.

You win some, you lose some...

Archived