How/What to Pack for a three week trip/cruise to Europe

Our family (my wife, our nine year old daughter, myself and my parents) will be taking a three week trip to Europe - Sunday, June 21, 2009 to Sunday, July 12, 2009. We will be spending three nights at a Holiday Inn in Paris before taking an overnight train to Barcelona to spend one night at a Hilton before our 12-night Eastern Med/Greek Isles cruise aboard the Brilliance of the Seas. Post cruise we'll spend two nights in Barcelona at the Hotel Continental before taking a day train back to Paris for a one night stay at a Hyatt prior to our flight back to the U.S.

Any thoughts and/or recommendations on how/what we should pack for this trip. My wife and I sailed the Western Med out of Rome in 2006, but this will be the first european trip/cruise for my parents and our youngest daughter. Obviously, we'd like to pack as light as possible but still take everything we'll need for the trip. Any insights on types of clothes, make/kind of luggage, packing techniques, etc. would be very helpful.

Thanks,

chester

Our family did almost the same thing in June. We flew into Paris a week ahead of our 14 day Italian Med cruise on Independence OTS out of Southampton, and took the EuroStar from Paris to London before the cruise. We stayed at the Meurice in Paris - a fabulous hotel right on Jardin de Tuilleries. After the cruise, we spent some more time in England before flying home out of Gatwick.

For us, the only time luggage was an issue was during the rail travel. We knew ahead that it could be a problem, so we booked the business/executive class on the train so we would have more luggage space.

Since you've travelled in Europe before, you know that the best way to dress is in lots of understated basics but not too casually, especially in Paris. It is definitely different dressing for Europe in the summer than for a Caribbean cruise. In the cities, you're not going to see many Europeans in shorts and t-shirts, only tourists. DD and I took several pairs of plain (mostly black) crop pants, a few longer lightweight crinkly skirts, and several tops (mostly knits). For your 9yo DD, I'd recommend some cute casual skirts if she'll wear them. We did see the kids in shorts. For sea days, you just need your swimsuit, a cover, and something to wear for meals.

On our cruise, people really went all out on formal nights (we had three of them). This includes the kids. The crew told us that they typically see much more formal dress on European cruises, So I wouldn't skimp on formal wear - just take something that is lightweight and doesn't wrinkle). For other nights, I took some basic black pants and skirts and again mixed it the tops (think Chicos' Travellers type clothes). Dress in the MDR seemed less casual, even on "casual" nights than we had seen in the Caribbean. DH can always rent a tux on board if he wants to dress up but doesn't want to pack a suit. For non-formal nights, DH took a couple a pairs of semi-dress slacks and some silk polos or long sleeve shirts, which he had laundered and wore again later in the cruise.

Keep in mind that the laundry service on board is fast and reasonable priced. In addition, once each week, they will run a deal where you can stuff a laundry bag full and have it done for something like $20. Make sure you take advantage of that for underwear, tee shirts, sox, etc.)

One area that we tried to save space on that ended up backfiring was on toiletries. We thought we would wait and buy sunscreen once we got onboard. Once onboard, we found that they only had some obscure brand in the shop. I got fried on the first sea day. Coulddn't wait to get to the first port, where we were able to good suscreen at a Sephora. Same goes for shampoo and conditioner. We were in a JS, and on past cruises, have always gotten small bottles of shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, etc. in our JS. Not on this cruise. Once again, the onboard shop had a minimal selection, so we stocked up onshore.

The good news is that with the miserable exchange rate and their already higher costs, you won't be tempted to load up on lots of European goods. We did a lot of "shopping", but we had done our homework in the US, and didn't find any bargains. Instead, we spent on some fabulous meals in Paris and some of the more typical souvenirs. Since I always have the need to buy something in every port, I decided save space and buy a unique pair of earrings everywhere we went. I now have 12 great pairs of earrings - its fun to explain where I got them when someone comments on them.

For our luggage - we have multiple pieces of the luggage sold by Jos A Bank Clothiers. We have found them to be well made and sturdy. They are a little pricey, but right around Christmas, they always put them on sale at a great discount. We took one rolling garment bag with all our formal wear, and then each of us had one 25 or 27 inch suitcase, plus one hands-free carry-on (i.e. backpack) each. For my carry-on, I took a big Vera Bradley tote that we could use as a beach bag, etc. in port. Keep in mind that if you take lots of smaller suitcases, you have to manage them on your own (including going through customs) at the train station.

Hope this helps - have a great trip!

PS - where in Ohio are you from? We live in Bath (NE Ohio). Love the non-stop flight to Paris and Gatwick on Continental out of Cleveland.

Our family did almost the same thing in June. We flew into Paris a week ahead of our 14 day Italian Med cruise on Independence OTS out of Southampton, and took the EuroStar from Paris to London before the cruise. We stayed at the Meurice in Paris - a fabulous hotel right on Jardin de Tuilleries. After the cruise, we spent some more time in England before flying home out of Gatwick.

For us, the only time luggage was an issue was during the rail travel. We knew ahead that it could be a problem, so we booked the business/executive class on the train so we would have more luggage space.

Since you've travelled in Europe before, you know that the best way to dress is in lots of understated basics but not too casually, especially in Paris. It is definitely different dressing for Europe in the summer than for a Caribbean cruise. In the cities, you're not going to see many Europeans in shorts and t-shirts, only tourists. DD and I took several pairs of plain (mostly black) crop pants, a few longer lightweight crinkly skirts, and several tops (mostly knits). For your 9yo DD, I'd recommend some cute casual skirts if she'll wear them. We did see the kids in shorts. For sea days, you just need your swimsuit, a cover, and something to wear for meals.

On our cruise, people really went all out on formal nights (we had three of them). This includes the kids. The crew told us that they typically see much more formal dress on European cruises, So I wouldn't skimp on formal wear - just take something that is lightweight and doesn't wrinkle). For other nights, I took some basic black pants and skirts and again mixed it the tops (think Chicos' Travellers type clothes). Dress in the MDR seemed less casual, even on "casual" nights than we had seen in the Caribbean. DH can always rent a tux on board if he wants to dress up but doesn't want to pack a suit. For non-formal nights, DH took a couple a pairs of semi-dress slacks and some silk polos or long sleeve shirts, which he had laundered and wore again later in the cruise.

Keep in mind that the laundry service on board is fast and reasonable priced. In addition, once each week, they will run a deal where you can stuff a laundry bag full and have it done for something like $20. Make sure you take advantage of that for underwear, tee shirts, sox, etc.)

One area that we tried to save space on that ended up backfiring was on toiletries. We thought we would wait and buy sunscreen once we got onboard. Once onboard, we found that they only had some obscure brand in the shop. I got fried on the first sea day. Coulddn't wait to get to the first port, where we were able to good suscreen at a Sephora. Same goes for shampoo and conditioner. We were in a JS, and on past cruises, have always gotten small bottles of shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, etc. in our JS. Not on this cruise. Once again, the onboard shop had a minimal selection, so we stocked up onshore.

The good news is that with the miserable exchange rate and their already higher costs, you won't be tempted to load up on lots of European goods. We did a lot of "shopping", but we had done our homework in the US, and didn't find any bargains. Instead, we spent on some fabulous meals in Paris and some of the more typical souvenirs. Since I always have the need to buy something in every port, I decided save space and buy a unique pair of earrings everywhere we went. I now have 12 great pairs of earrings - its fun to explain where I got them when someone comments on them.

For our luggage - we have multiple pieces of the luggage sold by Jos A Bank Clothiers. We have found them to be well made and sturdy. They are a little pricey, but right around Christmas, they always put them on sale at a great discount. We took one rolling garment bag with all our formal wear, and then each of us had one 25 or 27 inch suitcase, plus one hands-free carry-on (i.e. backpack) each. For my carry-on, I took a big Vera Bradley tote that we could use as a beach bag, etc. in port. Keep in mind that if you take lots of smaller suitcases, you have to manage them on your own (including going through customs) at the train station.

PS - where in Ohio are you from? We live in Bath (NE Ohio). Love the non-stop flight to Paris and Gatwick on Continental out of Cleveland.

Thank you very much for the great recommendations and insights. They will be a big help. It is greatly appreciated. We'll be flying from Columbus to Houston and meeting my parents. We'll all fly together from Houston to Paris non-stop via Air France. It should be a great trip.

We live in Grove City (just outside of Columbus).

Thanks,

chester

I think the real secret is the clothes - I only take 'travel' clothes purchased from Travel Smith, Chicos, & others. Some are silky-type materials, some are thin but warm material for colder times. But all are thin enough to fold small, liteweight, & don't wrinkle. I found some absolutely gorgeous slacks at Carson Pirie Scott that are such; bought several pairs in dark brown, black, navy. I only wear dark slacks; don't have to worry about spots I can't remove.

Here's the packing list for DH & I. Each of us takes a 22" wheelie & a medium size, soft sided backpack - even for extended trips. The backpack is so great for having your hands free when checking in, boarding trains, climbing stairs, walking around the airport, etc.

7-8 pairs of slacks, 10 tops, 1 sweater (or sweatshirt, or slacks-type outfit jacket), underpants for every day up to 21, good thick ankle high walking socks up to 14 pairs, walking shoes (wear nice Naturalizers on plane to look better), nitegown, thin cotton knee length robe. I do not bring specific dressy wear; if needed, it can be made from my slacks & tops with scarf, & my Naturalizers are dressy flats. My husband wears dressy shoes on the plane also. Note: If going to cool/cold climate, wear 1 sweater or slacks-type outfit jacket over a top & under unlined, hood attached, big pockets, water proof raincoat with winter scarf & gloves in pockets. So far, winter coats only in Alaska. Always carry/wear our above described raincoats.

Then, hubby & I split the following between our 22" bags - personal toiletries & items, travel clock, flashlite (in case of hotel/ship emergency), disposible wash cloths (if going to Europe), extra tour books & maps, extension cord & 3way plug, converters & adapters (if Europe), hats, hankies, very small shoulder bag for touring, food treats (:p ), duct tape (in case bag rips), lots of baggies of all sizes, Walmart plastic bags for dirty clothes.

Our backpacks - RX & over the counter drugs, glasses (sun, reading, RX), pen, paper, soft rollup duffle bag for each of us (for dirty clothes in case we buy too much), extra top, extra underpants, extra pair of socks (in case we check bags & lose them!), my makeup (couldn't dare lose that; liquids to security baggie), eye glass repair kit, safety pins, hotel size sewing kit, all travel docs, camera, batteries & charger, small compass, cell phone & charger, mints, cough drops, bandaids, hankies, small calculator, tour book & map for arrival location.

I don't use the vacuum bags, but I do group items in 2 gallon baggies so if a bag ruptures, or security decides to empty my carryon, I don't have personal items spilling all over the place! It also keeps things organized & with the air squeezed out, I think it saves a little room.

With this list, I have never felt "deprived" of anything. What little hand washing I do is such a great exchange for the pleasure of not hauling around multiple & heavy luggage.

Good luck on your packing! Sounds like a wonderful trip & how great that all of you will have this wonderful family memory! :)

Edit Note: When we decided to try the 22" wheelie, we bought one with the thought of returning it if our "stuff" didn't fit. Found that not only did our stuff fit, we had some extra room! Bought another one.

Thank you very much for your kind thoughts and insights. Your information will be invaluable for our trip.

Thanks,

chester

Be careful about the 2 bags per person - We traveled American Airlines to Barcelona no problem. On the way home we had to go Venice to Barcelona on an Iberia flight to catch the American Airlines back to the US. They only allow a max of 23K PER PERSON (50 lbs), so that's only 1 bag per person - we had to pay 40EU for each additional bag.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got back a week ago from a short cruise, and I used a new product for the first time: wrinkle-free.

This is a spray that freshens your clothes and takes all the wrinkles out, and iS VERY good. I bought mine on ebay or amazon.com.

I agree with packing your first stop clothing on top of the suitcase, but only if you know what the weather is like. I always check my weather conditions just before I pack, because weather.com can give you a 10 day forecast. Then, add or subtract clothes and accessories as needed.

I think I said this before, but pack to the lowest weight allowance for any of your transportation, and then you won't have to worry about how much your luggage weighs. Be sure to weigh each one on the bathroom scale after you pack.

Invest in really good walking sandals to keep your feet happy. There are threads about this on the Fashion board here on CC.

I wear SAS sandals, because they can also be worn with slacks in the evening in the dining room or a restaurant.

Take one or more of the Tide cleaning "pens", too.

I cannot emphasize enough that you need to keep your feet happy!! Take Bond's powder, toe "sleeves", band-aids, and MOLESKIN!!! Do not let any irritation go unattended, or you'll end up with someone being miserable.

Noise cancelling headphones for the plane are a huge comfort. It's amazing how much more relaxed you are just listening to your favorite calming music is great. I have an hour of rain forest sounds that puts me to sleep.

And, last, ENJOY!!!!

Sorry, one more thing. We had to take two cars to the port for four adults because we all had so much luggage. The car couldn't hold everything. Something else to consider when packing.

You are a women after my own heart!! I too make lists for everything - it is the only way in my busy life I manage to get anything done. I forget things all the time and it just makes life so much easier!!

On Saturdays I even list out everything I need to do - even the order in which I will clean my house that day!

Now how crazy is that!!

You are a women after my own heart!! I too make lists for everything - it is the only way in my busy life I manage to get anything done. I forget things all the time and it just makes life so much easier!!

On Saturdays I even list out everything I need to do - even the order in which I will clean my house that day!

Now how crazy is that!!

I used to do that, too, when my sons were at home, and I lived in a two story house. Saves lots of time if you do it that way.

I'm on the "overkill" side of attentive myself. We have a joke: nothing gets purchased until I check with the MSS: Magic Spreadsheet. The MSS knows all!! :D :D

I love to take everything with me, but for our last two trips, I had to pare down. The first year I had to adjust to a 70# limit, the second year it was 50#. (I bought a scale at Radio Shack, and it really helped.) Also in Rome transfers/taxis discouraged or charged for extra luggage.

We used one large bag and one wheeled carry-on each, but if you have to help others with luggage, it would be easier to skip the wheeled carryon and take a duffle shaped bag and attach it over the handles of the large bag when on the move.

Both ships offered cleaning and had laundry specials as mentioned about halfway (or later) through the cruise. This year on our 4th day in Rome we went to a laudromat, so we could start fresh. Maybe you can have it done at your hotel or nearby.

I second what people said about comfortable shoes. We end up walking so much on and off the ship. I took 2 pairs of walking shoes for Rome. (There are whole threads under Fashion about which are the most comfortable!)

Also I know you were primarily interested in packing information, but this will be such a memorable trip for each of you. Be sure to take enough memory cards (or cards with large enough memory) and batteries/charger for your cameras.

My husband and I put some clothes in each other's suitcase, and he gave me about 1/3 of his space on the way over. On the way back he had already packed and gone to bed, and after I packed and looked in the closet I found the laundry:eek:. I managed to squeeze a little into his bag, then went through and threw out things I didn't need to avoid excess baggage fees.

Have a wonderful time with your family and enjoy Paris. We hope to go there soon, maybe this year!!

My husband and I put some clothes in each other's suitcase, and he gave me about 1/3 of his space on the way over. On the way back he had already packed and gone to bed, and after I packed and looked in the closet I found the laundry:eek:. I managed to squeeze a little into his bag, then went through and threw out things I didn't need to avoid excess baggage fees.

Ah, yes, the "packing at the airport" routine happens to us frequently. Seems the same stuff just doesn't weigh the same going back. We're to the point where we head for an empty check-in position at the end of the counter and weigh them ourselves. Then, we redistribute if we got the weight lopsided between the two suitcases.

I agree: one manageable rolling suitcase per person, and a carry-on that can be attached or hung over the rolling suitcase.

Ah, yes, the "packing at the airport" routine happens to us frequently. Seems the same stuff just doesn't weigh the same going back. We're to the point where we head for an empty check-in position at the end of the counter and weigh them ourselves. Then, we redistribute if we got the weight lopsided between the two suitcases.

I agree: one manageable rolling suitcase per person, and a carry-on that can be attached or hung over the rolling suitcase.

I bought a digital luggage scale that you hook onto your luggage, hold it up on the floor and it beeps when the weight is set and when you put your luggage back on the floor you look at the digital read-out and it shows the weight of your luggage. Better than your bathroom scale and you can take it with you.

It was $20 at a luggage outlet store but I'm sure you can get it anywhere.

Som

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes it is difficult to get the carry-on to stay on top of the roll-on, so I take a bungee cord and wrap it around to anchor it. So far, it has worked well.

Also, instead of a flashlight, a friend told me to use my cell phone. I can see as much if not more with it.

If you pick 3 colors and everything goes together, you can make a lot of outfits with fewer items. You can accent with scarves, jewelry, etc. (which I buy as souveniers while on pre-cruise stays).

Wrinkle-Free has been used for the last 10 years; I have some and have used it.

There is a material which looks like polished cotton, streetches, quickly loses wrinkles, is comfortable to wear, and washes easily and dries quickly. I have two pair of the slacks and love them. I took them on a river cruise which ended up being a bus/cruise because there was no water in the river and they were great.

Take things to amuse yourself and others in your party. I usually take origami paper and fold; everyone likes to do it and we have fun. You can get an easy book and some paper and try it. Also, I take some cards. You can get small ones that don't weigh much and fit on the airplane trays.

We've had great flights on Air France, but all airlines can have bad flights; on our flight to Singapore on Singapore Air (ranked the best in the world) we had one of the worst experiences.

Have fun and if you have questions I can answer, my email is

< soccerjudy@earthlink.net >.

Thank everyone for all of the great advice.

Judy

Everyone has posted such great tips and information.

Now I've got to find some of that wrinkle-free stuff and check out Cool Max clothing.

I have one question about carry-on's. Would like to carry-on but not sure what size is best with the airline's (don't know which airlines the cruise line will be booking for us to Europe) flying into & out of Barcelonia, Spain.

Also would like to pack a bag/purse that will fit under the airline seat in front of my feet to use as a foot rest on the long flight. Any suggestions will be appreicated.

Thanks,

Marcy

Everyone has posted such great tips and information.

Now I've got to find some of that wrinkle-free stuff and check out Cool Max clothing.

I have one question about carry-on's. Would like to carry-on but not sure what size is best with the airline's (don't know which airlines the cruise line will be booking for us to Europe) flying into & out of Barcelonia, Spain.

Also would like to pack a bag/purse that will fit under the airline seat in front of my feet to use as a foot rest on the long flight. Any suggestions will be appreicated.

Thanks,

Marcy

I have a great leather packpack (it has been all over the world with me!), that if packed correctly, I have found to be a great footrest for overnight flights. (Just don't pack delicate items, like sunglasses or reading glasses in the side pockets. They tend to get broken.) My backpack holds all the items I will need during flights and even a change of clothes, just in case. I also keep a sweater or jacket in there and comfy socks to wear to sleep in.

I also plan out my outfits for the locations and temperatures (looked up ahead of time on weather.com). Mix and match with several basic colors in easy care/wrinkle resistent fabrics is definitely the key. I pack four or five outfits neatly folded outfits with under garments and sleep wear together in space bags, and vaccum or roll out the extra air. I can stack four of these in my medium wheeled case and still have room around the sides for shoes or other items. My suitcase remains very neat and organized and if it gets "inspected" the plastic protects my things from someone rummaging through my clean clothes, yet everything is perfectly visible. I unpack everything on the ship and just reuse the space bags, rolling out the air for the return packing. I also pack a list of outfits and mix and match combinations with accessories and then every night lay out what I will wear the next morning. I have used this method for the past five years, with both summer and winter wear, and find it works great for us.

Hey Marcy- something to keep in mind too-- a lot of European carriers have lower weight limits that American companies. For example, United says I can have a bag weight up to 50 lbs, but my connecting airline, Lufthansa, only allows 44 lbs.

Make sure you double check all your bags!

• 1 month later...

Thank you for the great recomendations and suggestions. The information has been very helpful. My wife printed out all the responses for future reference and to share with my parents.

With the after Thanksgiving sales yesterday we were able to purchase at a very good price a nice three piece luggage set for my wife and daughter and a rolling duffel bag for myself. We also picked one up for my Dad that we'll give him for Christmas. We already have luggage that I travel with for business or that we use when we go back to Texas but it was going to be too big, heavy and/or bulky for our european trip. Our goal is for each traveller to have their own 25 inch or less lightweight roller/spinner suitcase or roll duffel bag along with a backpack/carry-on bag. We've never rode on a train in Europe but understand that space is a premium. We'll be taking an overnight train from Paris to Barcelona. It should be a lot of fun.

We're hoping it all works out . . . we'll see. The exchange rate has gotten much better in the last few months so purchases like food, souvenirs, hotels expenses, etc. will not be quite as expensive, but the overall economy is still an overriding concern. This trip is intended to help our family celebrate three life events: my parents 50th wedding anniversary (October 2008), my dad's 70th birthday (April 2009), and my 50th birthday (July 2009). We had initially hoped that our oldest daughter and our son-in-law would have been able to join us as well, but they are expecting their first child (our first grandchild and my parents first great-grandchild) in January 2009. My parents, mother-in-law, my wife and I and our two daughters all took a caribbean cruise in 2001 together to help Cheryl and I celebrate our 20th anniversary. We really enjoyed the trip. As my mother keeps saying, this european cruise will be a trip of a lifetime.

Again, thank you for the insights. They have been very helpful.

chester

P.S. We live in the Columbus region. Our current plans are for my wife, youngest daughter and I to fly from Columbus to Houston to spend a couple of days with our oldest daughter, grandchild, son-in-law, wife's mother, etc. before flying with my parents from Houston Intercontinental to Paris CDG on Air France.

One of my problems with using RCI on longer trips/cruises is that their ships (including the Brilliance) do not have any passenger laundramats. If you use the ships laundry, it can get quite expensive although they usually will have some "bag specials" where you pay $20 for a bag (you can fill it with underwear and other small items). On most of our European trips (we generally do two long trips a year) we tend to pack heavy since most of the airlines still allow 2 bags (50 pounds each bag) per passenger. But these luggage rules are always changing and one must carefully check to make sure you do not have to pay excess luggage charges.

Hank

When packing, be sure to take photos of the contents and make a list, If you have bought new clothes, keep the receipts. This can be done if you have a cell phone that takes photos. Now you might need to check with your carrier to be sure the phone works in Europe, but if you are trying to claim/prove something, pictures are worth a thousand words.

Also, if you are tossing out clothes, be sure to do it on the day of your departure. DH put a suit in the trash and lo and behold when we returned for dinner, there it was, having been cleaned and returned to the closet!

Also,pack some empty baggies for the 3-3-3 use, sometimes the one you start out with gets used for something else, or it gets ripped or soiled if something leaks.

And, check the rate charged on your CC for foreign transactions. Best rate is using an AYM and try to pay cash when you can.(Yes, it's OT but I couldn't resist the reminder.)

This discussion has provided some great suggestions, thoughts and insights. There are five in our group (two senior adults (my parents), two adults (myself and my wife) and one child (our youngest daughter) -- nine years old). We'll be in europe (June 22 - July 12) for a total of three weeks (land and cruise). We'll be flying from Houston to Paris. We'll spend three nights in Paris before taking an overnight train to Barcelona. We'll spend one night in Barcelona before departing on our cruise ship for a 12-day cruise. We'll return to Barcelona and spend two nights before heading back to Paris via train we're we'll spend one additional night before our flight back to the states.

This is the first time we've attempted to do something like this together on this scale. My wife and I did cruise the mediterranean in 2006. We flew to Rome boarding the cruise ship on the same day that our flight arrived from the states. When the cruise ship returned to Rome we boarded a flight back to the states on the same day.

My parents and our youngest daughter have not cruised europe before. However, we cruised the caribbean together in 2001. For this trip, we're trying to limit our baggage to one 28" or smaller spinner/roll bag and one carry-on/backpack person -- that's it.

The recommendations from this tread have been very useful in helping us achieve our goal of keeping our luggage to a minimum.

Thanks,

chester

Archived