Acapulco All questions answered.

Tacos&Beer

Museums in Acapulco ? Nope.

Cab to Hard Rock from Port - 35 pesos.

Vinyl Records - Pretty certain Gallerias Diana shop named Vinyl

Wobble..... do you have any suggestions for a nice all inclusive resort to spend the day?

This one question gets repeated, but seldom gets answered.. thanks in advance!

Our last experience in Acapulco was not good. We got led by some guy down dirty alleys. They were trying to get us to buy jewelry. It was horrible.. :eek: and very, very, scary!!!

4bolts, what museums are you wondering about? There are museums in Acapulco....but are you talking about some kind of museum at the Hard Rock?

Here's some info, not sure if it's what you're looking for or not:

http://www.enjoymexico.net/acapulco-museums-mexico.php

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g150787-Activities-c6-Acapulco_Pacific_Coast.html

http://www.homeandabroad.com/c/72/Site/170250_Naval_History_Museum_of_Acapulco_visit.html

No, I was responding to the comment about a museum near the fort of san diego. As we don't have much time I would like to go to the cliff divers early in the

morning (don't need to see them) and see something else near there before heading to the hard rock cafe and back to the ship. I will look at these websites though, thank you.

Can the fort be seen in 2 hours and then catch a cab to HR?

Diane

Museums in Acapulco ? Nope.

Cab to Hard Rock from Port - 35 pesos.

Vinyl Records - Pretty certain Gallerias Diana shop named Vinyl

Is Diana Gallerias near the ship? already sounds lucky with a spinoff of my name. Would the cab driver know of this?

No, I was responding to the comment about a museum near the fort of san diego. As we don't have much time I would like to go to the cliff divers early in the

morning (don't need to see them) and see something else near there before heading to the hard rock cafe and back to the ship. I will look at these websites though, thank you.

Diane

The fort can be seen in 15 minutes. just walk to it from the port. There is a direct bridge at the port over the Costera. Then exit to the cotera - hail a BLUE & WHITE VW Taxi.. No port taxi drivers - they are insane and try to burn you on price because they think you are an idiot.

YOU WILL NEVER PAY MORE THAN 50 PESOS FOR A TAXI IN ACAPULCO - THE NORMAL COST IS 25 PESOS AND COVERS MOST OF THE COSTERA.

The fort can be seen in 15 minutes. just walk to it from the port. There is a direct bridge at the port over the Costera. Then exit to the cotera - hail a BLUE & WHITE VW Taxi.. No port taxi drivers - they are insane and try to burn you on price because they think you are an idiot.

YOU WILL NEVER PAY MORE THAN 50 PESOS FOR A TAXI IN ACAPULCO - THE NORMAL COST IS 25 PESOS AND COVERS MOST OF THE COSTERA.

Is the fort worth the 30 dollars?

So for the hard rock we should do the blue and white also? Will it be easy to find the same one when we return?

Is the fort worth the 30 dollars?

So for the hard rock we should do the blue and white also? Will it be easy to find the same one when we return?

Always use the blue and white vw bugs... there are more than 1200 in acapuclo ... Taxi drivers rent them for 250 pesos a day from the company.

The fort on your own is not $30 US - It is 30 Pesos.. last time i was there it was 25 pesos. i definately would not pay for a tour guide for the fort. Waste of money.. but on your own - great place to visit.

fact is - you can do just about anything you want to do in Acapulco without a tour guide. Taxi cabs are very economical. for 500 pesos - a driver will stay with you for the entire day. you paid for his cab and he made a profit. win win for you and him. And he will show you acapulco ....

Tip - buy him lunch and 50 pesos in gas... then pay him after he returns you to the port - Not in Advance.

Always use the blue and white vw bugs... there are more than 1200 in acapuclo ... Taxi drivers rent them for 250 pesos a day from the company.

The fort on your own is not $30 US - It is 30 Pesos.. last time i was there it was 25 pesos. i definately would not pay for a tour guide for the fort. Waste of money.. but on your own - great place to visit.

fact is - you can do just about anything you want to do in Acapulco without a tour guide. Taxi cabs are very economical. for 500 pesos - a driver will stay with you for the entire day. you paid for his cab and he made a profit. win win for you and him. And he will show you acapulco ....

Tip - buy him lunch and 50 pesos in gas... then pay him after he returns you to the port - Not in Advance.

thanks for the information. The fort, the cliffs, hardrock and then the Gallaria.

• 2 weeks later...
What activities would you suggest with a toddler who just started walking? Any toddler-friendly beach you'd recommend that would be easy to get to? Or some place where he could have a nice stroller ride (maybe the fort)?

Caleta beach has very calm waters, although the sand IMO may not be suitable for a toddler since it's not even and the grains of sand are not as soft as other places. La Roqueta island has much smoother sand and calm waters, you take a boat ride from Caleta pier in a glass bottom boat.

For a stroller ride the fort is a good option, the show rooms have few steps to access, the roof is nice and even for a stroller.

The Zocalo (main square) and the Malecon (fishers warf) are about 3 blocks away from the cruise terminal.

I have gone with my 1 year old godson to La Isla mall and took her on the gondola rides (it's far away; about 45 minutes, but, we love the place) Good option if you interested in shopping, very stroller friendly.

Thanks for the great info. One quick question....Do these cabs hold only two people or could four fit? Thanks

Just finished reading all the posts in this thread. Thank you to everyone who has participated in this thread.

We were not sure what to do while in Acapulco, but have decided to contacted Rudy (tour by van) for a tour. Goldfi8h - Thanks for your review of your tour with him.

We also want to see the cliff divers, but were not sure of going during the day or night. Thanks to everyone's input it looks like the day show might be better.

I applaud you for reading the posts before you posted. As I was reading this morning, I was struck by all the questions asked that had already been answered in earlier posts. Good for you taking the time to read and learning that on your own.

Diane

When we were in Acapulco in January of 2008, our guide took us to the cliff divers for a show that was not posted. Since we got there just as a show was ending, we were able to get front row standing. Perhaps, this show was not as long or as extravagant as the "regular" shows, it met our needs and we would do it again.

I read thru all 10 pages here and it seems nobody wants to fully answer the question about a Day Pass to a hotel for the day. We have been to the Acapulco Princess in the 80's and 90's and would love to return for the day while we are in port. First of all,how long a taxi ride is it from the pier and how much should it cost (ballpark figure)? If it's A 45 minute drive we'll forget it as that's too far. Does the Princess offer a day pass or is it just pay as you go for lunch and drinks? Are there any other hotels closer to the pier that would sell a day pass or just allow you to use the facilities and pay as you go? Please can someone answer this!!!

If I don't get a response we will be booking an excursion thru the ship (Coral Princess) to raft the Papagayo River. Has anyone done this and would you recommend it?

Thank you!

Ronnie

Ronnie,

Most people have decided to got to closer locations for a day use, the Princess (last I heard) charged 350 Pesos per person, plus food and drinks. it's about a 40 to 50 minute drive depending on traffic and a port cab will charge 35 USD one way. Street cabs may charge you anywhere from 100 pesos to 200 pesos, you have to negotiate before you hop on.

I went to both the rafting and shotover and IMO, well worth the trip, it's a 6 hour excursion with the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

We will be in Acapulco on Christmas Eve from 12pm-1am and are looking for suggestions on what to do... I would like a unique experience especially since its Christmas Eve... perhaps a Festival, market or even a church service. Just something that is truly a tradition in Acapulco for Christmas

Any Suggestions????

PJ,

We used Sebastian Hernandez to show us the highlights of Acapulco when we were there in September. I am sure he would be able to suggest some unique excursion of interest for New Year's Eve. I originally found him on TripAdvisor, where he came highly recommended. He was very easy to contact, and responded to all of our e-mail inquiries quickly. If you have never been to Acapulco, Sebastian will definitely make your first visit to Acapulco an enjoyable one.

As he promised, he was waiting outside the terminal for us with a sign with my name on it. He had informed us that he could handle a small group (we were a party of 4) by Lincoln Towncar or a larger group by van. We visited all of the highlights you would want to see in Acapulco in three hours. We visited the Chapel of Peace, had lunch while watching the Cliff Divers, and Diego Rivera's mosaic mural. We also did some shopping. We much prefer going on a private tour instead of the crowded ship excursions. Sebastian can take you to places the big ships' excursion buses cannot get to.

Sebastian took care of our every need. You will not regret for one moment using his services. He can be reached at eskp_rsh at hotmail dot com.:)

We will be in Acapulco on Christmas Eve from 12pm-1am and are looking for suggestions on what to do... I would like a unique experience especially since its Christmas Eve... perhaps a Festival, market or even a church service. Just something that is truly a tradition in Acapulco for Christmas

Any Suggestions????

I second the recomendation for contacting Sebastian. We used his services last March and he did a great job. I don't know if the chapel of Peace will have any special services, but it would be a beautiful place to go on Christmas Eve. The onyx windows are beautiful.

do we need to bring pesos for the cab drivers & street vendors or will they accept dollars?

also what is the current rate of exchange?

thank you!!

Hey Mar,

All of the taxi drivers and vendors accept the US dollar. The Bank of America web page has an excellent currency converter. Currently, you can purchase a peso for about 8 cents.:D

arlodog & essjay,

Thanks for the recommendations,

I will contact him and see if he is available.

We have been to Acapulco once before with some friends but only went to the beach and Senior Frogs, (not really my thing) so this time I want to see Acapulco and experience some of their customs at Christmas.

We will be visiting Acapulco via the Carnival Spirit which leaves San Diego Nov 19th :)

We are a group of 8 and would prefer not to use a taxi to the beach , but would like to avoid the beach nearest the dock

Is there a beach within walking distance which offers a great place to swim and soak in the sun before we head back to visit the Fort of Diego, Zocalo and the Cliff divers. Possible with jet ski rentals, shade etc...

or should we just catch a VW taxi , if so which beach ?

Thanks

:)

countdown.pl?name=Itsmecatrina&date=11-19-2009%E2%84%91=Beach-10&text=&ship=Carnival%20Spirit

• 1 month later...

Archived