Acapulco All questions answered.

Tacos&Beer

Hi..going on Radiance Feb. 22nd and am interested in deep sea fishing for my DH in Acapulco. Has anyone done this? Can you give me so information? Did you go with a ship tour or private? Thanks for your help...Nancy:confused:

Have you considered either Cabo or Manzanillo. Those might be better choices. Acapulco is probably fine, but it is world class in Cabo and Manzanillo comes in second.

Best thing to do is go to the Cabo forum board at TripAdvisor (parent company of CruiseCritic). They have fish fanatics on that board like "Yacht Merchant" and "Fish4Brains" (as well as many others) who will be happy to provide you with the best guidance. Just give them your ship, port call date, and port call hours and I'm sure they'll do their best to help you. You will have to join to ask questions (just like here), but you maybe even able to use the same screen name and password. That's what I do. Here is the link.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g152515-i84-Cabo_San_Lucas_Los_Cabos_Baja_California.html

Hope you have a great cruise. We just got back from Acapulco, Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo, and Manzanillo last Saturday.

Darrell

• 3 weeks later...

First of all, happy new year and thank you for all the helpful information you provide. I am going to be in Acapulco on the Spirit next Saturday (1/9/10) and am considering doing the cruise ship excursion to La Perla for drinks and cliff divers, from 8-11 (ship time.) Do you think this is a good way to go, even though it is more expensive than doing it on our own?

Thanks,

Deborah

Take a cab to the divers, much cheaper and you see the same show. At the divers you can pay 35 pesos Per person for a upclose view at the lower observation platform or 16 USD PP at la Perla restaurant with 2 domestic drinks included. Cabs are always available to return or go some where else.

First of all, happy new year and thank you for all the helpful information you provide. I am going to be in Acapulco on the Spirit next Saturday (1/9/10) and am considering doing the cruise ship excursion to La Perla for drinks and cliff divers, from 8-11 (ship time.) Do you think this is a good way to go, even though it is more expensive than doing it on our own?

Thanks,

Deborah

We were there on Christmas Eve and almost returned to the ship right away when we were surrounded by drivers and tour guides... It was overwhelming and since we have been to ACA before I think that was a our last time as a result of the harrassement... We asked kindly to be left alone but one group would leave and another would swarm to us, my teenage daughter was scared and in tears....

If you are not timid about the drivers go on your own, you will save money and enjoy the same show. If you are easily stressed out the drivers will be sure to send you over the deep end so you should go with CCL.

If you do go on your own negotiate the price before getting in the cab and if you walk a block the taxis especially the VW Bug Cabs are very inexpensive compared to the ones waiting at the port.

If you have some questions about Acapulco, post 'em here and i will answer all i can.

Is Cici Waterpark a good place to go? I have read reviews about hiring Roberto Alarcon for tours.. Do you have his information?? Can you tell me what would be nice to see for a family that has lots of young children with them. We are cruising on Carnival Spirit which will dock on Saturday at 12pm.

Take a cab to the divers, much cheaper and you see the same show. At the divers you can pay 35 pesos Per person for a upclose view at the lower observation platform or 16 USD PP at la Perla restaurant with 2 domestic drinks included. Cabs are always available to return or go some where else.

Thank you both for the info. I haven't yet decided which way to go.

BTW, which would be the best beach to take a 5 y.o. to and what is the best way to get there.

Many thanks,

Deborah

We were there on Christmas Eve and almost returned to the ship right away when we were surrounded by drivers and tour guides... It was overwhelming and since we have been to ACA before I think that was a our last time as a result of the harrassement... We asked kindly to be left alone but one group would leave and another would swarm to us, my teenage daughter was scared and in tears....

If you are not timid about the drivers go on your own, you will save money and enjoy the same show. If you are easily stressed out the drivers will be sure to send you over the deep end so you should go with CCL.

If you do go on your own negotiate the price before getting in the cab and if you walk a block the taxis especially the VW Bug Cabs are very inexpensive compared to the ones waiting at the port.

Thank you PJ and Aca. I haven't decided which way to go or whether or not to go for sure. I appreciate the input from both of you.

BTW, which would be the best beach to go to with a 5 y.o. and what is the best way to get there.

Many thanks,

Deborah

• 3 weeks later...

My cousin and I are going to Acapulco in March. What are the best bars/beaches with a great crowd durning day time hours. Also, does anybody know of any resorts/beaches that have all inclusive bars/ activies that has a fun party vibe. Heck any places that anybody can recomend that has a party vibe with fun people would be great.

Omar

How far is Senor Frogs from the cruise terminal? How much would a taxi cost to get there?

It's probably a good 20 minute drive from the dock. Traffic is CRAZY so that's what takes the time plus it's clear across on the other side of the bay from the boat. It was around 15 bucks total for the four of us and our cab driver stayed there while we ate and took us back downtown for some shopping and then to the beach. All together we probably spent $70 split between the four of us, and had him as our own personal tour guide. I'd suggest getting through the gauntlet of cab drivers until you find someone low key and no pressure to take you around. We probably walked for about a 1/4 mile before we quit getting hounded and then a very nice guy walked up to us and handed us a map and told us he'd take us anywhere we wanted to go. He said "I'll be standing over here by my cab if you decide to go."

How much of a walk is it from the cruise ship terminal to the Zocalo. Trying to time a mass at the Cathedral.

Thanks

It's a very quick walk. Right around the corner to the left. Give yourself 10-15 minutes from the ship. If you're a fast walker, it might only take 5 min. Stay on the left hand side of the road until you get down to the Zocalo. At that point, there is a wide area which is used for pedestrian crossing.

Q. How easy is it to go see the cliff divers on your own from the cruise dock?

A. As easy as catching a Taxi.

Q. How much is the taxi?

A. Negotiable. Prices start at 20 Pesos per taxi or person. Not more than 100 pesos. This question is complex and depends on many factors but the bottom line is how much you are able to negotiate with a driver ($2.00 - $10.00). Then the ride back to port ($2.00 - $10.00)

Q. Admission to the divers, etc. PRICE

A. 35 pesos for the show fee plus the tip you give to the diver that just jumped off a cliff for your amusement (3.50 + 1.00 Tip = $4.50).

Total DYI price: 7.50 - Ad Infinitum

city_tour.jpg

Q. How long is the show?

A. About 30 minutes

Q. Are there any tours that just do this, or are the cliff divers part of longer tours?

A. Yes and Yes. The cliff diver show is an Acapulco tradition and common attraction.

IMO: Given many factors, price, familiarity with surroundings, time factors; whatever: You are probably better booking this or any tour with an agency. Your not in Kansas. Getting around in Acapulco could freak out the common traveler. "Why don't you go play in traffic" has a whole new meaning in Acapulco. Getting mugged, mobbed or bothered in Acapulco is really not an issue - getting run over by a bus, car or vehicle with no brakes is. Imagine having to tell your friends back home you got run over by a chicken truck in Mexico. A good agency will get you to and from your excursion safely and on time.

;)About taxis i just want to clarify something, the taxis charging 20 pesos or so are the small vw, as we say, what you pay is what you get.

Taxis a the ship terminal are a/c vans and are operated by tour guides who speak english, most of the taxi drivers from outside terminal do not speak english. the taxis inside the ship terminal have the shuttle service to the cliff divers so you wont have to take a long tour.

The divers place is located 30 to 35 mints. walking distance:) but the best to do is to take a taxi, no buses pass by..

Our experience was certainly different. We caught a VW Taxi outside the port area and he spoke English very well. He was also quite proud to point out various points of interest along our route to Playa Condesa.

It is true that the VW's do not have air conditioning and if you get stuck in stop and go traffic (which is quite common) it can get a little uncomfortable, especially in the back seat. A cheap magazine or even the daily ships paper will suffice as an emergency fan during those situations.

Thanks so much!!

It's probably a good 20 minute drive from the dock. Traffic is CRAZY so that's what takes the time plus it's clear across on the other side of the bay from the boat. It was around 15 bucks total for the four of us and our cab driver stayed there while we ate and took us back downtown for some shopping and then to the beach. All together we probably spent $70 split between the four of us, and had him as our own personal tour guide. I'd suggest getting through the gauntlet of cab drivers until you find someone low key and no pressure to take you around. We probably walked for about a 1/4 mile before we quit getting hounded and then a very nice guy walked up to us and handed us a map and told us he'd take us anywhere we wanted to go. He said "I'll be standing over here by my cab if you decide to go."

We have a group of 6 that will be cruising on the Spirit later this month. How easy is it to get a snorkeling tour on the pier? Do you think this is something that we can easily arrange that day when we arrive, or should it be booked with an excursion ahead of time?

Many thanks!

• 6 months later...

We would like to do some kayaking while in Acapulco - there are two excursions offered, one is La Roqueta and the other is Coyuca - can anyone tell me the difference in these two trips? Is one better than the other?

Thanks!

ldarcy

Archived