extra day(s) at sea due to weather

wawapeg

Hi All,

I cruise next week - the Miracle. I am just curious....what happens when the ship cannot return to port on schedule and stays out to sea for an extra day or two? Is there enough food and drinks? I remember reading a few years ago about all the food and drink that is brought on-board and it seems like a pretty exact science. 3000 plus passengers and crew would require a lot of food/drink for extra days at sea. How do the cruise lines handle this??

Thanks, Peg :)

We had no problem with food and drink aboard our Conquest cruise. I did notice that on the last night (night 8 on what was supposed to be a 7-night), they repeated the first night menu in the dining room - they were set up for a 7-day rotation.

We were on the Fantasy and had to have two extra days because the port of New Orleans was closed. We were treated great, same great food, same great entertainment. But please don't do what 40-50 people on our cruise did.They were lined up at the purser's desk complaining because we were being charged an extra $10 a day for tips. UNBELIEVABLE.

We were on the Fantasy and had to have two extra days because the port of New Orleans was closed. We were treated great, same great food, same great entertainment. But please don't do what 40-50 people on our cruise did.They were lined up at the purser's desk complaining because we were being charged an extra $10 a day for tips. UNBELIEVABLE.

Wow i can`t believe the mentality of some people!!!

Just pay the $10 and shut the hell up with the moaning lol.

Thanks for the insights! Unbelievable that people would protest the gratuities for the extra days at sea. I would look at it as a bargain....$10 for a full day/night of sailing! I am really surprised they had plenty of food for the extra days. I would love to see the behind scenes of the kitchen and food storage areas....it must be quite the operation!

Thanks for the insights! Unbelievable that people would protest the gratuities for the extra days at sea. I would look at it as a bargain....$10 for a full day/night of sailing! I am really surprised they had plenty of food for the extra days. I would love to see the behind scenes of the kitchen and food storage areas....it must be quite the operation!

Watch your capers events...they sometimes offer a galley/kitchen tour !!:)

I thought it was really interesting...

Unbelievable that people would protest the gratuities for the extra days at sea. I would look at it as a bargain....$10 for a full day/night of sailing!

I totally agree! It makes me sick to hear about people taking away money from the crew members who obviously work so hard. Not to mention the fact that Carnival has absolutely no control over the weather. Don't get me started... :eek: :D

Keep in mind they already have to have at least a day or two of food in storage for the next cruise. It takes time to properly defrost food products, so they would have to start while the previous weeks passengers were on-board.

The Cruise lines have been doing this for years, and realize this could happen during hurricane season so may even have more food on-board than during non-hurricane season.

There may be spot shortages of certain items (maybe fresh fruit) but I would worrry about going hungry.

They have severla day's more provisions than they need. They might run out of fresh produce and milk, but they'll have plenty of food for everyone. Keep in mind that if for some reason it did look liek they were going to run low, they could always port somewhere else to reprovision.

Hey I would love to be on the boat for an extra day :D. It almost happened 1 time but it didn't..oh well. But I've watched the Travel Channel and they did a whole week on cruise ships and they said they stock extra food on each week for those types of emergencies.

A couple of years ago, we stayed out to sea an extra 4 days due to the

port of Miami being closed due to Hurricanes. Plenty of food, but I think

they did run out of Michelob Lite. Carnival was great, they let all passengers make a free phone call home to family, and they set up extra

shows/games for everyone. I'd say 99% of the passengers were thrilled with the extra 4 days, but your alway going to have the small percentage of people complaining. I purposely book cruises during hurricane season

hoping that I'll get an extra few days at sea!!!!!

Archived