Mariner vs Freedom.

zebra

We have just been on the Mariner this past week. We've cruised 18 times on various cruise lines and we rated the Mariner as the BEST ship we have ever been on!! The Captain was outstanding (& funny) and the staff were the bst at sea, in my book.

Now saying this, we know she is moving to LA in January and the Freedom will take her place but only in May.

For those who have cruised both - please compare and rate them for me - I am particularly interested to hear how the Freedom compares to the wonderful Mariner.

For those who have only cruised the Freedom, please tell me what you thought of the ship and the cruising experience.

Do you think we should try the Freedom, or follow the Mariner over to the Mexican Riviera?????

We have sailed both ships and love the Voyager class ship Mariner. The Freedom is larger and in many aspects just a larger Voyager class ship. Clearly there are many additions but for us similiar and bigger.

We are glad we tried Freedom. We are currently sailing more with Celebrity on longer cruises. :) Everyone will have opinions. Yours is what counts so I say try her!

Oasis is even bigger and it looks like it will be a much different cruise experience.

Haven't done Freedom yet (will have done in about 3 weeks!), but have done both Liberty (Freedom's Sister Ship) and Mariner.

We enjoyed both immensely! They were both our favourite cruises so far! They are both very smilar, but slightly different.

My suggestion is to give the Freedom Class a try at some point.

Boo

Haven't done Freedom yet (will have done in about 3 weeks!), but have done both Liberty (Freedom's Sister Ship) and Mariner.

We enjoyed both immensely! They were both our favourite cruises so far! They are both very smilar, but slightly different.

Boo

Ditto !

IMHO: Freedom is Mariner on steriods :cool: ..........just a few more options and a little longer walk from one set of elevators to the other ...:p ....really longer :rolleyes:

There aren't many Captains out there like Cpt Johnny and no crew/staff has the same presentation as another, but every ship is yours if you enjoy what you choose to do ........ or is it if you choose to enjoy what you do ? My DW said Splendour was her favorite ship for lots of reasons and then Voyager was favorite for lots of reasons and then Freedom was favortie for lots of reasons ....... my favorite ship is the one I'm on right now 'cause any day on RCI is better than any day at work :D

I also have done both and also think the Freedom is just a larger version of the mariner with a few extra features (waterpark and flow rider, etc) To me personally it was the staff on the mariner that made me keep returning.

I think you would enjoy either ship, we had a great time on the freedom, but my heart was with the mariner.

Boo

Ditto on Boo Boo, also. Have done Liberty this past May and Mariner several times and agree 100% with the above comments. Was suppose to Mariner this past week (August 31st), but SO's child in accident and had to cancel. Wanted to do Mariner one last time before she headed to LA. Glad I had insurance BTW.

Dave

We've sailed the Mariner twice and Freedom just last month.

We prefer the staff and the food onthe Mariner.

The Freedom is very similar to the Mariner, except more shops, the Flowrider, H20 Zone and more people. but it never seemed crowded.

I wish I could be more specific, but Freedom is the Mariner, but on a bigger scale. I never noticed walking more or waiting longer for the elevators.

I say give it a try, especially if you have kids who would enjoy the H20 Zone.

We have sailed both, and like some other poster have said, it's a "bigger" version of Mariner. Basically the same, accept for the Flow Rider.

We loved both, But we enjoyed Freedom a little more. Maybe because we sailed on her 12th voyage, inaugural year and it was brand spanking new, maybe because of the Flow Rider.... not sure, just a better cruise for us.

I do have to say though, the Windjammer on Freedom was not not always easy for us to find a seat. It took us so long to find a table, others as well.

Probably just bad luck, but I felt that the WJ on Mariner was a better experience. I am sailing Liberty in June, maybe I will have better luck in the WJ this time :)

Whatever ship you choose, have a great time....they are both great!

One thing Mariner had that was not on Liberty (haven't been on Freedom, but assuming the same applies) was the large hottub just off the gym. Nice to wind down in after a workout in the gym (after a quick shower of course :) ). For the Freedom class, this was replaced with the boxing ring. The Liberty of course had the cantilevered hot tubs.

Have been on Mariner and Freedom. My son loves H2O zone and teen loves Flowrider. The roller blading is on Mariner but not Freedom, but no big loss, it is such a short track to skate around.

So with kids, would prefer Freedom. That being said, I'm sure we will be on the Mariner when she comes over here to West Coast.

Enjoy!

The best answer is to do both!

We also love the Mariner. There's an almost magical aura on that ship! Both Capt Johnny, and Captain Per who alternates with him on the schedule, are very special and unique. They command a certain camaraderie and respect amongst their crew, and this trickles down to the extraordinarily friendly and attentive service the crew provides. These captains run a tight, happy ship! It's so hard to explain to those who haven't experienced Mariner yet.

Having said that, the Freedom class is very special too, for other reasons.

We hope to sail the Mex Riviera on Mariner as well as Freedom from Port Canaveral sometime in the future! Such lofty dreams I have! :)

Well said Donna - there certainly was a magical aura about that ship - I have never experienced a Captain and staff like on the Mariner, this made our cruise ultra special ..... that's probably why I'm nervous to book the Freedom. That's a tough act to follow!!!

Thank you for this thread, and all the good news about the Mariner. We have a surprise family cruise booked on her for 4/25/2010, and the prices are pretty good, too. We've got 3 balcony cabins reserved, and with each of us in the family getting the Diamond balcony discount (sons got to be Diamond way back when they were still living at home), it's $749++ per person.

We are really excited about sailing on her, even though we've been on the Mexican Riviera itinerary before. It's a great cruise, and I highly recommend it.

Thanks again everyone.

One thing Mariner had that was not on Liberty (haven't been on Freedom, but assuming the same applies) was the large hottub just off the gym. Nice to wind down in after a workout in the gym (after a quick shower of course :) ). For the Freedom class, this was replaced with the boxing ring. The Liberty of course had the cantilevered hot tubs.

I prefer the Mariner for many little reasons I can't put into words, but I'm very glad you mentioned the great hot tub in the gym on this Voyager-class ship.

I was floored when I saw that the boxing ring took the place of it on the Freedom. On the Mariner, that water feature in the gym gives the whole place a spa-like quality; I really feel that it is a "healthy" place. The gym on the Freedom sorely lacked that feel--and the lighting around the boxing ring was awful.

I am looking forward to cruising on the Mariner in the near future; I don't care if I ever see a Freedom-class ship again.

Leslie

Archived