Print Advertising?

sail7seas

Actually, I've been seeing quite a bit more of HAL advertising (even the 2nd page fold over kind) for HAL and have been surprised. They usually don't do large advertising.

It has been in the travel magazines that we subscribe to, like Travel and Leisure.

Here is a link to samples. http://www.ddbseattle.com/work/clients/holland_america_line/index.php

My favorites are the ads that have a larger picture, then a tiny little HAL ship coming out from a portion of the picture.

Based on the little that I know about HAL, I would imagine that they do not do many print or television adverts simply because they do not need to. With the high number of repeat passengers, they truly have a great following and also have a great network of past passengers "working" for them for free.

I work for a very large financial services company and they do not spend a great deal of $$ on print or television adverts in my geographic area because they do not need to do it here, we have our customers working for us.

If they do not need to spend these dollars on adverts, they can spend them elsewhere...and I'm sure that is why we can see the improvements to the ships that they have made over the years (and continue to make).

Remember...a happy customer tells a few...but an upset customer tells everyone (as we can see for certain on here)...so they put their dollars in trying to keep everyone happy.

This is just my two cents...and who knows if it is anywhere near the mark...but just my thought on the subject.

I started seeing lots of HAL print ads around 2005-2006, but that's dropped off significantly. I can't remember the last time I saw one.

Conversely - I see quite a few for Celebrity, Princess, Regent, Crystal etc. Advertsing isn't the be-all-end-all, but there is still a direct effect on profits - people who have cruised HAL don't need to be told, but people who have not, and are just looking casually, can be influenced by them.

Sail, I always look for HAL ads as soon as Conde Nast Traveler arrives. There was at least one issue in the last year that had NO HAL ad -- but plenty of other cruise line ads -- and I was kind of annoyed. Then the ship sailing out of a martini glass, or flower began gracing the pages again. HAL may not NEED to advertise, but with all the other ads, a new cruiser might not even think of HAL when deciding to book. And I admit to a feeling of pride whenever I find one of those lovely fold-out ads. I save them to paste the little ship in my next scrapbook.

The best print ad for HAL, in my opinion, is the current one, which I found in Traveler and in Architectural Digest. It's a glorious blue butterfly! Kudos to whoever produced it.

HAL is probably living off the fruits of others advertising dollars. This is not true for Doritos and Pepsi, but when people want to go on a cruise, they don't go to CelebrityCruises dot com.... they go to one of the big travel sites. They want to go on a 7-day to Alaska leaving on a Saturday returning on a Saturday, in the middle of July... hmm, these Holland America folks have a better sounding pitchline ... let's try them.

Really, the vacationing American public has much less differentientation between cruise lines than the "10,000+" club on CC.

I was just leafing through a Cooking Light magazine and noticed and ad by NCL. I cannot remember the last time I saw a print ad from HAL. Any idea why they do so little print /tv advertising?
I've seen HAL print ads ... I believe in Travel & Leisure, Cruise Travel Magazine and Vacation Agent. Not sure what other publications they advertise in, though ... but probably not many. After all, they want to attract people who like to travel, so where better to advertise than in travel magazines?

Blue skies ...

--rita

I've seen HAL print ads ... I believe in Travel & Leisure, Cruise Travel Magazine and Vacation Agent. Not sure what other publications they advertise in, though ... but probably not many. After all, they want to attract people who like to travel, so where better to advertise than in travel magazines?

Blue skies ...

--rita

Speaking of Cruise Travel.......

What happened to that magazine? I used to enjoy it so much and now I barely glance at it anymore. It's half the thickness and little of interest to read. IMO

Speaking of Cruise Travel.......

What happened to that magazine? I used to enjoy it so much and now I barely glance at it anymore. It's half the thickness and little of interest to read. IMO

Cruise Travel magazine has really changed over the years -- that is for certain.

It is very thin!!

We dropped PortHole a couple of years ago.

Now we are thinking about dropping Cruise Travel. I know that costs for printing a magazine has gone up over the years -- but there is very little in there to read anymore.

Other than Travel and Leisure -- I haven't seen any other ads for HAL.

I agree! This is the only place that I ever see HAL ads.

I know that HAL has a strong customer base, but I think that any business want to bring in even more customers to enjoy their product.

Happy sailing!!

Archived