Southern Caribbean on Victory

scarlet4897

Hey Everybody!!

This will be my 4th Carnival cruise and my bf's 1st - I'm so excited and have already started planning my excursions - I'm posting here b/c I can't really think of another place to post this question.....

I'm trying to plan my excursions at each port - St. Thomas, Barbados, Dominica, Antigua, St. Lucia, and St. Kitts.

Is there anyone who has done a Southern itinerary who can tell me which port is known for what - as in which is the best beach day, which is best snorkel, which is the best zip line, which is the best hike/bike interior.....

Thanks for any help anyone can provide (and I've been looking at each port page)

Thanks!

I'm actually sailing on the repo cruise on the Victory on Oct 26... I did the Southern Caribbean cruise last April and stopped at most of those ports...

St. Thomas - we went biking on Water Island and shopped in the afternoon

Barbados - my absolute favorite port!!! We did the Jolly Roger Pirate Ship. Sooo much fun. Yes they dress like pirates and there is a plank and rope swing and plenty of rum punch. A great fun relaxing day! :D

Dominica - never been

Antigua - I found this island to be very dry. It was such a difference from St. Lucia (where we went instead of Dominica). We just hopped in a cab and went to a beach. Really nice (a little rocky) but there was a restaraunt and clean bathroom there. I think there was no charge for the use of chairs on the beach.

St. Lucia - another one of my favorites (I"m going back for a week of allinclusive right after the cruise). It is very lush and green. I went on an island tour and catamaran. Personally, I liked the catamaran but could have done without the island tour (especially the volcano).

St. Kitts - This will be my first time to St. Kitts so I can't help there.

Let me know if you have any other questions that I can help with.

Hey Everybody!!

This will be my 4th Carnival cruise and my bf's 1st - I'm so excited and have already started planning my excursions - I'm posting here b/c I can't really think of another place to post this question.....

I'm trying to plan my excursions at each port - St. Thomas, Barbados, Dominica, Antigua, St. Lucia, and St. Kitts.

Is there anyone who has done a Southern itinerary who can tell me which port is known for what - as in which is the best beach day, which is best snorkel, which is the best zip line, which is the best hike/bike interior.....

Thanks for any help anyone can provide (and I've been looking at each port page)

Thanks!

HI scarlet4897, it is Joan from the Triumph, as you can see there is a bunch of us going in 2010, so make sure you write a review when you get back, Happy Sailing

sailorwife:)

Hey sailorwife!! How are things going? This cruise will be just my bf and myself - and I'm so excited to go on this one - right now I'm trying to figure out where to do what - I'm starting to figure it out! I will def write a long review afterwards - Victory has the same layout as Triumph so I think I'll be familiar with it! :) take care!

We've done the Southern a couple of times - those islands are the BEST!! Great first cruise for your boyfriend.

St. Thomas - been to Coki and Sapphire beaches - like Coki for snorkeling better. Have heard St. John is awesome if you don't mind taking the time to get there and back.

Barbados - Silver Moon catamaran trip both times - it's that great. Hop on over the The Boatyard for a couple of cocktails afterwards if time allows.

Dominica - did a tour with Beno - both the Falls and Emerald Pool. I could have done with one or the other but not both.

Antigua - Went to Darkwood beach - hoping to snorkel but the water was too cloudy.

St. Lucia - Chartered Hackshaws fishing boat for the day (seven of us) OMG! what a blast. Fished a little, snorkeled a little, dolphin watched a little, drank a lot. If you can find a small group that wants to split this I HIGHLY recommend it. St. Lucia is best seen by water IMHO.

St. Kitts - on my wish list.

Have fun planning - my favorite part!!

Hey Everybody!!

Thanks!

I see you are sailing in Feb. I am taking the exact same cruise on the same ship in November. I've done almost all of my research on all of the ports and although this is my first cruise, this is what I've gathered: St. Thomas and Antigua supposedly have the best beaches. I think we're going to go to the beach in Barbados too. You definitely want to book an excursion in Dominica rather than go out on your own (we are doing the 4-wheeling excursion with a side trip to Trafalgar Falls). I've found the best rates booking excursions through local tour companies rather than Carnival. There is a lot to do in St. Lucia but most of it is in Soufriere and the ship docks in Castries so you probably want to book some sort of organized tour there too. Most of these tours give you sightseeing as well as time at the beach. I think St. Lucia is the only spot we are booking an excursion with Carnival. And as far as St. Kitts goes, I don't see a whole lot there that interests me so we will probably go to the beach for a couple hours then head back to relax on the ship since it's our last day. I will try to remember to post when we get back with a long review!

scarlet4897,here is what I have found for the Gang;

St Lucia: cosol tours

Antiqua : Laurenceofantiqua orGordon tours of Antiqua

Barbados : www.scenicbarbados.com or Crane Beach(you will have to take a cab there),

that is what I have so far and in St Thomas Ken & I are just walking about and having lunch, of course there is always Sunny again,

Take care

sailorwife:)

Thanks for all the help - I've started reviewing the boards - and I think I've started to narrow down which islands would be the best for which type of activity - but haven't decided which tour - I always like contacting outside tour guides over going thru carnival....

Antigua - beach - is the general consensus - on the antigua board i learned about

The Xtreme Circumnav So we'll see about that -

Dominica - i heard that its all about the rainforest here - and found something called

Fredos tour

Barbados - i think its all about turtles here - and I some cc'ers were talking about a catamaran tour with

shasa catamaran cruises

St. Lucia - is the two mountains and the volcano right?? Here's a tour i found:St. Lucia Frank

St. Kitts - not sure maybe a beach or maybe a biking tour through carnival?? I want to do some bike tour at least (need the exercise after all the lounging)

St. Thomas - Sailorwife you might remember how my friends and I missed the top of the mountain and met up with the tour at Drake's seat - !!! - so Sunny's might be a good option since I missed half of it last year and my boyfriend's never been (and its pretty economical).

Finally, from what I've gathered ZIP LINING is available in St. Lucia and Barbados - I wanted to do this badly until I read about the accident a year back or so with the woman who fell and died - not sure if I want to risk death ! :( So I'm not sure if I want to do that.

I know that its only Sept, but i'm so excited for February already! I always do this to myself as soon as I book a cruise -

We are taking the Victory on Feb 15. Like you I am really excited and have been reading the boards and Frommer's for information on what to do. In St. Thomas (Third Time to St. Thomas) we are going on a boat trip over to St. John's with lots of beach stops for snorkling. In Dominica we are doing an island tour and tubing and I believe stopping at a black sandy beach. I am still toying with the island tour as what exactly are "must see/do". In St. Lucia we are doing a half day at the Rendezvous Resort and massage. (Second time to St. Lucia). St. Kitts we are doing an island tour and Cockleshall Beach. Still working on Barbados and Antigua. For Barbados, leaning towards Raggae Beach, however, would love to see Crane beach. It is so much fun planning, but it is sooooooo far away. The only time I wich time would fly by!

Hubby and I will be sailing this itinerary on the Victory in Sept 2009. This will be our first cruise so have no clue what to expect. I've purchased a guide book that lists the different islands and have been reading these boards on a daily basis. I know we'll definitely want to snorkel...even though we have never done this. The Trafalgar Falls and Emerald Pool sounds nice. Eli's Eco tour sounds like fun.

Please post a trip report when you return!

• 1 month later...

Not yet... still looking. I think I figured out what we are going to do in Barbados... The Boatyard offers catamaran cruises that include breakfast, lunch, open bar, snorkeling and swimming with turtles for $75/pp. I know its a little pricey but for all that it includes it sounds llike a good deal.

Hey guys, I'm doing the same cruise in December. Here are our plans.

St. Thomas - skyride, never done it.

Dominica - Bumpiing Tours with Levi Baron, hits a LOT

St. Lucia - Land and Sea to Soufriere through Carnival, looks a lot like Cosol, but it includes a catamaran and snorkel

St. Kitts - St. Kitts Scenic Railroad

Barbados - Concorde Experience and Harrison's Cave or a beach

Antigua - undecided! Probably snorkelling and kayaking.

Looks like an awesome itinerary, and I can't wait!

• 1 month later...

In St Kitts, I loved the catamaran snorkle tour through Carnival.

it was a blast.

I didn't like the boatyard too much in Barbados . I thought the beach was kind of dirty, with cig butts all over it, and crowded.

They include 1 drink, which because the bar is so packed it was hard to get. There was also a huge line to get food. And when I saw them mixing up rotgut-liquor to make shots, and then jacked up the music, I started to think of Senor Frogs and realized I had spent enough time there.

Next time I might try the lobster place next door, the food looked great.

Or go to a different beach.

we're going for anniversary July 09, here's what we're thinking about right now:

San Juan- walking tour

St Thomas- Magan's Bay, SkyRide

Dominica- snorkel at Champagne Reef plus some sort of tour/hike in the island.

Barbados- probably just walk around Bridgetown

St Lucia- Volcanic Island Experience & Mud Bath

Antigua- walk to beaches, shopping, maybe cab to Dickinson Beach

St Kitts- maybe see the green monkeys, mostly just hang out

Archived