On board computers

stellaB

I know there are limitations when it comes to using the on-board computers in relation to downloading photos but what facilities are there for reading memory sticks or CDs containing document files? I have a new camera and rather than haul the very large instruction manual with me if I upload it onto a memory stick or CD do the computers give you access to drivers and ports to read them? If so I can think of quite a few other uses I can put this system to which would amount to a very handy way of carrying info with us.

The computers that passengers have access to have no inputs of any description.

I guess they are frightened of viruses.

Last year on I had all my access passwords saved on a memory stick, couldn’t plug it into the computer so couldn’t access my web sites.

I had to plead at the pursers desk for them to plug it into one of their machines and print it off for me.

They didn’t want to do it but they did it after I pleaded that I really did need them quite urgently.

I know there are limitations when it comes to using the on-board computers in relation to downloading photos but what facilities are there for reading memory sticks or CDs containing document files? I have a new camera and rather than haul the very large instruction manual with me if I upload it onto a memory stick or CD do the computers give you access to drivers and ports to read them? If so I can think of quite a few other uses I can put this system to which would amount to a very handy way of carrying info with us.

No, No and No. You have access to the monitor, keyboard and mouse only. You can not upload a CD or driver to the ships computer. If this needs to be done, take your own laptop onboard and use the WiFi.

Another option for saving your pictures is to get another memory card. The prices have come down. You can get a 4G card for $30.00. doubtful you would fill that unless your taking alot of movies.

As far as accessing information that you will need while on vacation, what I do is forward all my conformations for hotels, airlines, booked excursions, etc. etc. to my Yahoo email account. There you can save all that info to a file and have access to it anytime.

Jay:D

Maybe its yet another ship-specific issue.

I just got off the Sea Princess yesterday. There were universal memory card readers on the computers in the computer lab but not on the computers in the Explorers Lounge (coffee bar).

Princess has the computers locked down to prevent viruses. You have no access to any drive (hard, cd, dvd or 3 1/2 inch) and no access to USB ports. So you cannot use a cd or a flash drive on them. You also cannot download any files from the internet.

I have a new camera and rather than haul the very large instruction manual with me...
How large is this instruction manual that you can't bring it with you? Are you saying you don't have an actual printed manual, but instead have it in electronic form?

A couple of options:

• Get a compact printed manual from the camera manufacturer. For instance, my Canon manual is pocket size.

• Access camera information on the manufacturer's web site if you need it.

Lew

Last couple of ships we have been on have had “some” card readers.

If you were foolish enough to plug your card into a ship computer with original photos, there’s not a whole lot you can do. You MIGHT be able to open a photo and delete it from the card if you’re lucky. Lose everything if you’re not.

There are very few programs on these CPU’s; most are for E-mail or word processing.

Don’t know what kind of camera you have. Just got my wife an 8 Meg camera. Picked up a 4 gig card for $17 at Best Buy. At the highest resolution, that’s over 3000 photos. Don’t know about you, but if my wife gets 200 shots during a week I’ll be surprised.

Last couple of ships we have been on have had “some” card readers.

If you were foolish enough to plug your card into a ship computer with original photos, there’s not a whole lot you can do. You MIGHT be able to open a photo and delete it from the card if you’re lucky. Lose everything if you’re not.

There are very few programs on these CPU’s; most are for E-mail or word processing.

Don’t know what kind of camera you have. Just got my wife an 8 Meg camera. Picked up a 4 gig card for $17 at Best Buy. At the highest resolution, that’s over 3000 photos. Don’t know about you, but if my wife gets 200 shots during a week I’ll be surprised.

Did you read the OP's question? You missed the point completely.

Lew

The computers that passengers have access to have no inputs of any description.

I guess they are frightened of viruses.

Last year on I had all my access passwords saved on a memory stick, couldn’t plug it into the computer so couldn’t access my web sites.

I had to plead at the pursers desk for them to plug it into one of their machines and print it off for me.

They didn’t want to do it but they did it after I pleaded that I really did need them quite urgently.

As well they should be. People do really stupid things; just ask anyone managing an Internet cafe or shared computers.

No, No and No. You have access to the monitor, keyboard and mouse only. You can not upload a CD or driver to the ships computer. If this needs to be done, take your own laptop onboard and use the WiFi.
True. Some ships have universal photo memory card readers but not all so don't count on your ship having them. As an FYI, the I.E. installed on the ship's computers is a modified version so you will not have the same access or capability. As Toto says, if you must have or maintain your own information, bring your laptop.

Thanks to everyone who responded. Just to clarify - I am not concerned about photo memory cards or their capacity. The camera did not come with a handy size manual. I downloaded the 100 plus page document from the manufacturer's web-site onto my own computer and just thought that instead of printing it out I could put it onto a memory stick for easy access but that is obviously not to be. Oh well, I have 3 more weeks to find my way around the new camera, print out a few vital pages or, in case of emergency, use the on-board computer to access the website again if necessary. Having just regained the use of my own computer after picking up a virus last week I can understand the restrictions Princess impose.

While you'd rather not bother carrying the owner's manual with you on the cruise, I went the oposite way. I printed out the manual, for both my laptop and my digital camera, on three-hole punched paper (8.5x11), put each one in a binder and take both binders on my cruises. There's always been something that pops up that I'm not familier with, so I go to the appropriate binder & refresh my memory on that issue.

While you'd rather not bother carrying the owner's manual with you on the cruise, I went the oposite way. I printed out the manual, for both my laptop and my digital camera, on three-hole punched paper (8.5x11), put each one in a binder and take both binders on my cruises. There's always been something that pops up that I'm not familier with, so I go to the appropriate binder & refresh my memory on that issue.

Now that IS going over the top!! Just what I am trying to avoid- but thanks for sharing.

Since we are on the subject of obboard computers - I'm debating whether to bring my laptop - it is quite large and not easily carried - So, I am wondering if there is usually a long wait to use a computer at the internet center - are they open during shore hours(when they might be less busy). Any ideas on when would be the best time to try for one.

Thanks for your help.

Since we are on the subject of obboard computers - I'm debating whether to bring my laptop - it is quite large and not easily carried - So, I am wondering if there is usually a long wait to use a computer at the internet center - are they open during shore hours(when they might be less busy). Any ideas on when would be the best time to try for one.
Depending on whether there's a satellite signal (never guaranteed), the Internet computers are usually available 24/7, including when the ship is docked or at anchor. I often go after dinner when it's a lot less busy.

Thanks to everyone who responded. Just to clarify - I am not concerned about photo memory cards or their capacity. The camera did not come with a handy size manual. I downloaded the 100 plus page document from the manufacturer's web-site onto my own computer and just thought that instead of printing it out I could put it onto a memory stick for easy access but that is obviously not to be. Oh well, I have 3 more weeks to find my way around the new camera, print out a few vital pages or, in case of emergency, use the on-board computer to access the website again if necessary. Having just regained the use of my own computer after picking up a virus last week I can understand the restrictions Princess impose.
Suggestion: if you have a question or get stuck, go to the Photo Desk and ask them to help you. Chances are very good that they'll be able to answer your question. They also almost always give a (free) seminar on using digital cameras during the cruise.

Archived