Can we bring a fan on board for noise?

hollon

I know this is probably a dumb question, but can we bring a box fan onboard the ship? I have to have noise in my bedroom. Also, I booked a guarantee cabin, where on rccl can I look up to see what cabin that I got assigned? Thanks so much :)

I have read where other people have brought fans onboard.

We packed one once, in our carry on and it was confiscated. They gave us a claim check and it was waiting for us at a table next to the terminal exit when we returned. It was the only fan, but there were a whole lot of full sized irons, travel sized irons, travel steamers, toys that looked like weapons and a bunch of bottles of booze.

Perhaps the others have packed them into checked luggage?

I know this is probably a dumb question, but can we bring a box fan onboard the ship? I have to have noise in my bedroom.

I bring a noise machine with me.

If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?

Scott Adams

US cartoonist (1957 - )

I know this is probably a dumb question, but can we bring a box fan onboard the ship? I have to have noise in my bedroom.

I bring a noise machine with me.

If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?

Scott Adams

US cartoonist (1957 - )

We always pack a fan in our carry-on because DH can't sleep without one. It helps to drown out any hallway noises on the ship while we're sleeping.

I'm shocked to hear that someone had one confiscated. Why in the world would they do that? A fan is no more of a hazard than someone's laptop or digital camera battery charger. I've never read anything in the cruise contracts or documents about a restriction on fans.

They are great and easy to pack. Runs on batteries or plug in wall. There is different cards you can add for different sounds.

Mine was packed for our Bermuda trip last fall and it takes up such a small space of the suitcase.

We use ours at the Atlantic City cainos/hotels and it drowns out all the outside and hallway noise.

I have the luxury of working in a hospital that has an MRI machine, and when patients have the test done they give them disposable ear plugs. They buy them by the case. The technician handed me a handful, and the fit just great and really soften the noises. and I was just barely able to hear anything.

Later

Oh my goodness. This is like therapy!!!

I thought I was the only one needed noise to sleep..... I always sleep with the radio on..... unbelievable. I had no idea such a thing existed. I had no idea that this was a common 'problem'. Are these boxes available in the UK?

Homedics Sound Spa Classic SS-4500

from

http://www.soundmachinesdirect.com/white-noise-sound-machine/sleep-sound-generator/homedics-sleep-therapy-products~1.cfm

We found 24 results for White Noise Machines

from

http://www.epinions.com/White_Noise_Machines

Ever since we started using an air filter, I can't sleep without the hum. When the power goes out during the night, I'm awake in an instant at the silence. When I've been in a hotel that's quiet, I don't sleep well due to frequent wake ups.

I was thinking about recording the sound of my fan and making an MP3 file out of it, then play it on my iPhone in repeat mode. But I recently downloaded a 99-cent ambient noise application for the phone. You can choose from a variety of sounds, such as birds, rain, waves and yes...even a fan noise!

Scott

Yup, we are fan fans too! Last month on the Grandeur we brought one of those white clip-on types and it worked great. I also have the "Hawaiian Breeze" one from Target but the noise of the clipon one was better.

D has a white noise machine too but for cruises I think we'll keep bringing the little fan. Why the heck would they confiscate it? We brought it (along with everything else) in our carry-on.

Cheers!

D&L

depending on what airlines you are travelling with -- taking the box fan might be costly.

We invested in one of those noise machines-- it works great.

Get the kind that plays non stop- some shut off after 60 minutes

I was thinking about recording the sound of my fan and making an MP3 file out of it, then play it on my iPhone in repeat mode. But I recently downloaded a 99-cent ambient noise application for the phone. You can choose from a variety of sounds, such as birds, rain, waves and yes...even a fan noise!

Scott

That is a great idea!

We have a small fan that we always take with us on cruises, vacations, etc. It does take up about a 1/4 of a suitcase so something smaller would be great.

I have the same issues as most. I need the noise and I get hot when I sleep so the air is nice also. I have called Royal Caribbean and have asked twice if I can bring a small fan on board (just to make sure, because it seems like some of these people know what they are talking about and some don't 044.gif ) and both times I have been told yes. The last person I talked to said the only things they don't like being brought on board are irons. I would pack it in my checked luggage though. Hope this helps:) .

My 12-year-old daughter and I cannot sleep without a noise machine going of some kind. We like the kind that makes a blowing noise rather than the ones that do rain, etc. The noise machine stays permanently packed in the suitcase. The only problem is my husband claims he can't sleep while it's on. So...we simply wait until he starts snoring loudly then we turn it on full blast.

I am another that needs something to lull me to sleep. However, on our July cruise on the Explorer, the motion at night rocked me to sleep easily. Never needed anything else.

On my Liberty cruise, the ship didn't rock at all on deck 7, and we were in the middle of three hurricanes! :( The only time I felt the slightest bit of motion, was one night in the theater.

lovetocruise99 - That's what a "white" noise machine is. My sister said that she didn't think she could sleep with it when we cruised together, however, she slept like a baby. :D

Archived