Malibu beach and Folkstone Marine Park?

GLCAS

Are these places in the same area? And how is the beach at Folkstone Park? Is there swimming and snorkeling? We are looking for a nice beach, relatively calm so we can swim and snorkel? We don't need party atmosphere. Any suggestions. Where can I find a map of the different beaches in Barbados?

Are these places in the same area? And how is the beach at Folkstone Park? Is there swimming and snorkeling? We are looking for a nice beach, relatively calm so we can swim and snorkel? We don't need party atmosphere. Any suggestions. Where can I find a map of the different beaches in Barbados?

If you want an easy entrance, sandy bottom, beach area where non snorkeler can swim and sun bath; also you can swim to the reef (not far) to snorkel, then Folkstone is it. But it is very basic, no beach bar, no music. The day we were there, it was calm like swimming pool, I did not notice any trash, the beach was clean, but I am not sure what your determination of "nice".

MTV

I liked Folkestone, but I'm not sure it is for everyone. First of all, it's a public park. When we were there it had a little store, a tiny beach concession that sold drinks, a souvenir vendor and public changing/rest rooms. It also had tall trees and lots of filtered shade just off the beach, which was in the bright sun and a children's play area. You could rent chairs and snorkeling equipment.

Folks, I have to tell you about Folkstone.

If you want the best offshore snorkeling on the island (notice that I didn’t say the best snorkeling in the Caribbean!) , Folkstone is the spot.

It sits a little above St. James Parish Church in Holetown, about 6-7 miles north of the dock. Maybe 15-20 minutes in a taxi (US$12-15?).

Here is the beach you hear mentioned so often …..

folkstone.JPG

Yes, it is minimal and rocky, sorry.

Here is the area so you’ll get an idea of the theme…..

folkstone-picnic.JPG

Now, before you non-snorkelers and beach-lovers balk, here is the beach below it (Sandy or N. Paynes Bay beach):

sandy bay beach.JPG

Not bad, yes? Walk there from Folkstone in a few minutes. Umbrellas, and drinks available.

Here is but one friend that you can see underwater at Folkstone:

folkstone-eel.JPG

Folkstone isn’t everything to everybody. Dottins Reef comes closest to the shore here, hence the abundant underwater life. Below it a few hundred meters is a great, long beach. The best of both worlds, yes?

Expect decent snorkeling most days (a north swell nixes this), and a good beach south of Folkstone proper. There are better beaches (Crane and the East coast), but offshore snorkeling is the best here.

Please give it a try. Most are pleased. :) :)

• 3 months later...

Folkstone isn’t everything to everybody. Dottins Reef comes closest to the shore here, hence the abundant underwater life. Below it a few hundred meters is a great, long beach. The best of both worlds, yes?

We are a group of four with two non snorkelers (more beach people) and two snorkelers. This sounds like the best of both worlds.

We are looking for a turtle only excursion off of Folkestone I hear tell of glass bottom boats coming to shore - this would be good for the non swimmers? and the swimmers can dive in with the turtles?

I fwe don't luck into an excursion, how far out do you have to swim to encounter the turtles?

How long a trip by bus from Bridgetown?

Folks, I have to tell you about Folkstone.

If you want the best offshore snorkeling on the island (notice that I didn’t say the best snorkeling in the Caribbean!) , Folkstone is the spot.

It sits a little above St. James Parish Church in Holetown, about 6-7 miles north of the dock. Maybe 15-20 minutes in a taxi (US$12-15?).

Here is the beach you hear mentioned so often …..

folkstone.JPG

Yes, it is minimal and rocky, sorry.

Here is the area so you’ll get an idea of the theme…..

folkstone-picnic.JPG

Now, before you non-snorkelers and beach-lovers balk, here is the beach below it (Sandy or N. Paynes Bay beach):

sandy bay beach.JPG

Not bad, yes? Walk there from Folkstone in a few minutes. Umbrellas, and drinks available.

Here is but one friend that you can see underwater at Folkstone:

folkstone-eel.JPG

Expect decent snorkeling most days (a north swell nixes this), and a good beach south of Folkstone proper. There are better beaches (Crane and the East coast), but offshore snorkeling is the best here.

Please give it a try. Most are pleased. :) :)

Barbados, you are a god send to this site. Could I ask you one question. How far are you talking when you say "offshore" snorkeling?

Archived