Jamaica Ocho Rios Margaritaville?

MOTHEROFONE

I am thinking of booking a tour through ochoriostour.com for our family some of us want to climb the falls with a stop at margaritaville and some of us want to climb falls with horseback riding. I was just wondering if anyone has ever used this company? Is margaritaville family friendly cause we are traveling with kids. How's the horseback riding is it worth it? I have heard that you have to be careful in Jamaica but this company is a lot cheaper than booking through the cruise line. any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in Advance.

I can only help with the Margaritaville part. I've been several times and there's always kids there. While there is a lot of drinking going on I've never seen it too crazy. At least not during the day when the cruisers are there. They have a small pool with a slide that kids and adults seem to love. There's also a jacuzzi on the upper level.

Terri

It does get a little crazy downstairs. We had a fabultastic time in the upstairs more laid back dining room. The food was just great, and when we told the waiter, he brought the chef out for us to meet. I didn't see the need to go any further than the enclosed shopping area at the foot of the cruise ship dock. Everything we needed was right there. The dude on the bicycle even offered us some funny looking handmade cigarettes. They were too harsh for me, though. He didn't want to give me money back, and thought I was nuts when I asked him if he had any filtered ones. Oh well. Then I bought 2 sixpacks of Red Stripe as I headed back to the ship, and three nice crewmen even helped me transport it to my cabin. Funny how I started out with twelve and ended up with only nine. I guess it must be called a carrying charge.

We walked down to Margaritaville from the dock in OR...not far at all. It was early during the day and pretty quiet there.

I have to say we were harrassed walking through the lots though when we got off the ship. Even touched on the shoulders.. literally begging for tour business until we got to the street. It was uncomfortable but I do understand it is their livelihood.

Laura

Margaritaville is the one right at the dock, right? We spent an afternoon there once and had fun. Stuff for us to do, stuff for the kids.

We were never go beyond there again. Ochos Rios is a pit and dangerous. And yes, there are harassing crap-merchants, hookers and drug vendors lining the path between dock and city. Very pushy people. Dirty, dangerous place. Blech.

We're probably in the minority on Ocho rios, there 3x, never had a problem or issue- once did a tour with RCI, twice interviewed and hired a driver for the day- no worries...I think times they have a-changed in just a couple of years,.

As for Margeritaville in ocho rios ...... DS was 13 and thought the best part was the drunk girls dancing on the bar almost naked. Yes, they were passengers that were on board with us.....the pool seemed to mostly be used by locals or a school/camp of sorts (I think we were there in April).

It was okay, absolutly nothing to write home about or brag about but nolw the kids can say they have been to a Margaritaville...Food is average, like any other outback or applebees type place.

We sat downstairs, so can not comment on upstairs...

I also love OR, and have been there too many times to count...the only problem with booking through an outside service, is time...you must make sure you are back on the ship on time. As far as MV goes...it's really a matter of choice...it is family friendly...but as others said, it's a party atmosphere...just don't miss the ship, because the hotels in OR are not inexpensive...nor is the plane trip back to the states or to the next port.:)

We sailed to OR 3 years ago on Carnival and docked at what seem to be an old factory of some sort-

There wasn't a Margaritaville- or anything else for that matter- anywhere close enough to walk-

So my question--Is there a different dock and if so I wonder why we docked and the deserted factory??:confused:

The M-ville in Ocho is in the Island Village compound about a quarter mile from the gate of the "sugar pier" which looks sort of like an industrial site. This was where scenes from "Dr. No" were shot for the James Bond film. Hang a left out of the gate and it's a short walk, the entrance is on your left. Or take a taxi.

The Margaritaville is located all the way at the back of the compound, and has its own beach access, of which we didn't avail ourselves.

I have to agree with some of you. Walking to Margaritaville is a short walk, but you do have to put up with the locals trying to sell stuff. I would call it an annoyance, but I have never found it to be dangerous.

As for Dunn's River, we have booked through the cruise line and ventured out on our own. We found that catching a taxi and paying admission at the park was much cheaper, and we could stay as long as we wanted, not to mention you can climb the falls without holding hands with 30 of your closest friends.

One last note on Margaritaville; as stated by others it can get very crowded/ loud. The prices are a bit steep, and if you buy something in the shop they usually give you Jamacian money as change.

Archived