Just wondering.....

pppiglet

From the thread ...what do you do first when you get on the ship?....

I noticed most people said they check their dining reservations first.

Is there anyone that just shows up for dinner and takes what they get?

In three cruises I have never checked on where we would be seated.

Just wondering....:o

I think people that said this were more concerned with their dining times/number of people at their table, although I could be wrong. We actually went to the dining room when we first got onboard becaus we wanted to switch to late seating, as we heard it was much more relaxing and would give you more time to rest after being in port.

Well, they couldn't switch us, and now, in retrospect, after meeting our tablemates and realizing late seating was too late, we're glad we couldn't be accomadated.

We usually board early so that the staterooms are not available. We go to the buffet and have lunch followed by a tour of the ship. After we are able to access our stateroom, we do wander down to the MDR and look for our table. We just want to know how the best way to get there from our stateroom and how to find our table in the MDR. We have never asked to be reassigned.

I've often wondered that, too. On Carnival, dining information is printed on the S&S card. I guess people who aren't happy with dining time might go....or family groups that want to sit together might want to check to make sure everything is OK. On other ships, dining info is in the cabin.

I've never gone to Maietre'd either. Always get my late seating request and don't give a hoot where the table is.

We always go directly to the Windjammer for lunch. The Honey Stung Chicken on embarkation day is wonderful. After that we go to our cabin and unpack our carryons, and then head to the dining room to find our table location. We just like to know where our table is located, although we have never asked to be relocated.

When our DS was much younger I checked early. If assigned a large table we asked to be moved as we were hyper-sensitive to the possibility of him "bothering" anybody (you know what I mean; we've all read the posts:rolleyes: ).

Happy Sails,

Annette

P.S. We've also asked to be moved mid-cruise one time when we just TOTALLY didn't enjoy the table mates we had. For the record, I wouldn't be offended if someone did the same to me.

I've only been on one cruise FOS last year, and i had to rush to get my tux on and get married up in the chapel.

We've already placed reservations for Chops and Portofino's on our next cruise on Liberty Thanksgiving week and we're a group of 6 so i'm not stressing out for the dining room table. So, this time i just plan on resting, eating and drinking till my cabin is ready.

we always go and check the table for two reasons....

1-we like to know where the table is, so the 1st night we dont have to wait for all the maitre'd's to seat everyone else....we just go in tell them we know, and go....

2-we like to know ahead of time how many people are at our table. our next cruise is a special reason for shecking the table. it is our honeymoon, and we have 12-15 other people going, so we need to make sure we are all next to each other. a few 1st timers coming along....

greg

We check to make sure what floor (since the dining room has multiple floors). My Mother is 76 and uses a walker and checking to see which floor we are on makes it easier for us to get to the dining room via the elevator. We have a large party and large table. We check to see if the walker can be eaily placed out of the way of the waiters and other passengers. We've had tables that were better than others but we've always loved our location. If you have elderly family members it helps to check.

Yes, we take what we get, we don't really care where the table is located in the dining room. We just make sure we have second dining, other than that, it doesn't matter to me.

Usually we get on board before the cabins are ready. We go to lunch in the windjammer, by then hopefully it is time to go the cabin & unpack my carry on. Then it is off to the dining room to check our table. We usually travel with another couple that we see once a year & therefore want to make sure that we only have a table for 4.

We check to make sure what floor (since the dining room has multiple floors). My Mother is 76 and uses a walker and checking to see which floor we are on makes it easier for us to get to the dining room via the elevator. We have a large party and large table. We check to see if the walker can be eaily placed out of the way of the waiters and other passengers. We've had tables that were better than others but we've always loved our location. If you have elderly family members it helps to check.

That is a really good reason! :)

We never used to check, until after a cruise on the Rhapsody two years ago. We were placed at a table that was immediately next to the small bandstand where Rosario strings were playing in the DR every evening.

Their music was great, however, they had amplifiers attached to all of their instruments and it was SOOO LOUD that you could literally not hear what you wife or friends were saying when they were playing. We were unable to hear what the waiter was saying and had to just point at the menu to order what we wanted. We would rather have a table in the spillover "private" dining rooms, rather than endure that again.

I did speak to the Maitre' D and he said he would take care of it. Did not happen.

Hypo

We went on the Enchantment for a second time and found out the waiter we had the first trip was still there. We requested to be in the section he worked in, but instead, they sent him to us. He was told he was requested and was surprised to see us. It's fun when they actually remember you. They see so many faces I don't know how they do it!

We always check our seating allocation in the main dining room...

This is because we like to have a "table for 2". Ok it would be great to have a "table for 2 by the window", but my theory is that you can't have everything - so providing we get our table for two, am willing to compromise on location/view.

This time we are supposed to be on My Time dining... so will see what we get allocated at check-in.

Boo

Archived