West Coast - Hawaii Roundtrip Cruisers Thread

karatemom2

Very interesting and informative thread.

I have been to Hawaii twice, both in June. We will be taking a late April cruise next year. I love snorkeling. Does anyone know what the ocean temperature is at that time of year? Are the whales gone by that time?

The water temperature in Hawaii remains quite stable over the course of the year. In the winter the average water temperature can get in the low 70's but in the summer it can get into the low 80's, so in April it will probably be somewhere in between those two extremes. We typically have traveled to Hawaii in October and December and the water always feels a bit cool when you first get in, but you become comfortable very quickly.

Whale watching season can run from mid-December to mid-May, so with any luck you may still be there in time to see whales.

Hello everyone..

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Sorry I have been quiet..seems like the hecticness and stress of life has gotten the best of me these days.

Can I hear some feedback on specific locations/rental companies (ie, hotel location, codes, aiport names) where people are renting cars for the day? I see there are couple options for places such as in Hilo there is the airport and then I think its Alma Blvd (or something like that).

Thanks a bunch

Celeste :p

PS. I am on the December Princess cruise in just a few weeks for those familiar where the ship docks from prior experience

The water temperature in Hawaii remains quite stable over the course of the year. In the winter the average water temperature can get in the low 70's but in the summer it can get into the low 80's, so in April it will probably be somewhere in between those two extremes. We typically have traveled to Hawaii in October and December and the water always feels a bit cool when you first get in, but you become comfortable very quickly.

Whale watching season can run from mid-December to mid-May, so with any luck you may still be there in time to see whales.

Thanks Mary.

Jim

I'm looking at the Christmas 2009 2 week cruises to Hawaii from California. Any opinions regarding Golden Princess vs. HAL Zaadam? Are there great differences between food, cabins, etc? Never sailed on Princess before, but have sailed on HAL, but lately concentrating on Carnival (trying for Platinum!), but these two are the only options that work for our group. Thanks for any info you can supply. (going back to read through all 11 pages now...)

I'm looking at the Christmas 2009 2 week cruises to Hawaii from California. Any opinions regarding Golden Princess vs. HAL Zaadam? Are there great differences between food, cabins, etc? Never sailed on Princess before, but have sailed on HAL, but lately concentrating on Carnival (trying for Platinum!), but these two are the only options that work for our group. Thanks for any info you can supply. (going back to read through all 11 pages now...)

We've sailed on HAL and Princess. We like both lines. We've sailed the Golden and are about to board her again for this Christmas/ New Year's cruise. Don't know what your preferences are, but the Golden is a Grand class ship that is larger than the Zaandam. I've only been on the Vista class(larger than the Zaadam) ships on HAL so when I saw the Zaandam in the San Diego port, I found her smaller, older, and without a lot of balcony choices.

At this point, you will need to look at availabilty of cabin choices on both lines. We booked our upcoming cruise on the Golden back in Oct.'07. Our cruise has been sold out for a few months now. I think it is because it is a holiday cruise and to Hawaii.

Good luck with your decision.. :)

I will be on the Golden next oct. for r/t to hawaii. What the Golden will have on their ship after drydock which by the way is next april will have MUTS(Movies under the Stars) installing a International Cafe and the Vines Wine area. I just got off of the Star where they installed those features and the International Cafe was terrific. I have not sailed on HAL so cannot compare cabins but we always get the mini-suites where there is a couch but on Princess balcony cabins they do not have a couch whereas HAL does. That may be a consideration for you.

Marilyn

:p Hello everyone,

So we are finally making plans or may I say finalizing them as the days get closer. Yeah!!

We are renting a car in Hilo. If I had to choose between going to the summit of Mauna Kea or the Hamakua Coast what would you choose? We would go south to national park and then around the island back to Hilo? any thoughts or ideas?

Does anyone know how long it takes to drive around the entire island?

How long realistically is the time spent in VNP? Is it better to go there first in the morning or to head there later after the tourbuses are leaving?

Thanks a bunch in advance

Celeste

:p Hello everyone,

So we are finally making plans or may I say finalizing them as the days get closer. Yeah!!

Fabulous.:D

We are renting a car in Hilo. If I had to choose between going to the summit of Mauna Kea or the Hamakua Coast what would you choose? We would go south to national park and then around the island back to Hilo? any thoughts or ideas?

It depends on what you're more interested in seeing this trip.

When you say "south...then around the island" I don't quite know what you mean in terms of the Hamakua coast because that is north of Hilo. Are you saying you'll drive up 19, across to 200 (Saddle Rd.) and circle back to Hilo that way? If so, you could do it, but it will be lots of driving time and may be stressful watching the clock.

When you say "south to national park" do you mean you plan to take 11 out of Hilo, visit VNP, and then continue on 11 around the south, up to Kona, up the Kohala coast, across to the Hamakua coast, and back to Hilo? If so forget it. There is no way you could do this in 1 day unless you get your car immediately, have a long day in port, and make no stops at all along the road--and I mean no stops at all because that is at least 8 hours of straight driving time.

Please clarify exactly what you have in mind.

As to the summit of Mauna Kea, it is spectacular. When we went (on the University of Hawaii's free weekend tour; lots of caveats if you want to do that; I'll try to find one of my posts about it), we were simply in awe. Out of all of our visits to Hawaii, it's a top 5 memory. However, visiting Mauna Kea's summit isn't a "Well, let's just hop up to the summit" thing. It's an all day commitment with many requirements. It's not for everyone. I don't mean to discourage you from this; not at all. But you must realize what's involved before you decide to do it.

Here are links to some of the threads about it (with my posts noted; they're not the only good info on these threads, just my detailed explanations):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=836280&highlight=mauna+summit

(post #4)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=790573&highlight=mauna+summit

(post #9)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=848431&highlight=mauna+summit

(what you need to wear to the summit)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=656929&highlight=mauna+summit

(my post #2 has a link to another detailed description)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=674848&highlight=mauna+summit

(my post #4 has more links to other Mauna Kea discussions)

All of these threads are good discussions and contain excellent information that should help you decide if it's the right day for you.

Does anyone know how long it takes to drive around the entire island?

The entire island including all the roads up and down that do not go through? At least a few days because you can't do it all in one day, not ever. For example, there is no accessible road around the very north point. You have to double back on 270 or go down 250; 240 stops around the Waipi'o Valley; 130 and 137 no longer go through to Chain of Craters Rd. (well, you probably already knew that). The island of Hawaii is aptly secondarily named "The Big Island" because it is truly big.

How long realistically is the time spent in VNP? Is it better to go there first in the morning or to head there later after the tourbuses are leaving?

If you are going to just stay on the open parts of Crater Rim Dr., plan on 2 hours absolute minimum. If you plan to go down Chain of Craters Rd., plan on 5 hours minimum. IMO, it simply isn't worth it to spend the time going to VNP if all you do is take a non-stop drive around the summit. VNP is too special for that. There is no other place like it in the world and it deserves the time it takes to really experience it.

We've been there in the morning and in the afternoon. Both are good. I guess afternoon might be "quieter," but I never noticed ridiculously huge crowds in the morning.

Thanks a bunch in advance

Celeste

beachchick

Beachchick,

You seem the person to ask if an excursion is worth it or not. We have signed up for the Princess excursion in Oahu called Back Roads of Oahu and it takes us to Helamano Plantation, Kahuku Farms, Waikane Tropical Farms, Sunset Beach, and Waimea Bay. We were trying to find a trip that did not involve a lot of running around, wanted to get away from the touristy area of Waikiki, and just wanted to see some of the beauty of Oahu. My problem is that some of these places are not in any travel books that I've looked in. Since this excursion includes lunch, it is a bit on the pricy side, so I want to make sure that we have picked an excursion that is worth the cost... Thanks for any insight...:)

Hi Mary;

Just wanted to bump in here (hijack, if you will) as I see it is now less then 2 weeks until your cruise and wanted to wish you and your family a Bon Voyage and a very Merry Christmas as well a wonderful New Year.

We have our grand daughter and her parents arriving on 12/22 for Christmas and Gradma is all excited. They fly home on 12/28 and we take down the decorations and get ready to leave for our Panama cruise on 1/03. Have your inlaws done their Panama cruise yet and if so what did they think of it?

All the best.

f.

Beachchick,

You seem the person to ask if an excursion is worth it or not. We have signed up for the Princess excursion in Oahu called Back Roads of Oahu and it takes us to Helamano Plantation, Kahuku Farms, Waikane Tropical Farms, Sunset Beach, and Waimea Bay. We were trying to find a trip that did not involve a lot of running around, wanted to get away from the touristy area of Waikiki, and just wanted to see some of the beauty of Oahu. My problem is that some of these places are not in any travel books that I've looked in. Since this excursion includes lunch, it is a bit on the pricy side, so I want to make sure that we have picked an excursion that is worth the cost... Thanks for any insight...:)

Oh dear, I'm going to be no help for you. We hardly ever take excursions or tours. The only things we actually "book" are for snorkel trips on Maui and the BI. We rent a car and do things on our own in Hawaii.

The excursion you describe must be one that goes along and around the north shore. We know Sunset and Waimea (of course), but we've not stopped at the other places you list. I did a quick web search and found Helemano Planation and Kahuku Farms. Both sound like fun; much less commercial than the Dole Plantation; we may have to check them out next time we're on Oahu. Here are the links:

http://www.helemano.org/tour.shtml

http://www.kahukufarms.com/

I think that Waikane Tropical Farms grows/processes mac nuts, but I'm not positive. It sounds like all three will be similar stops with their own specific specialties. If that interests you, then the excursion might be good for you. I guess it mostly depends on what your likes, dislikes, and other preferences are. You will be well out of the Waikiki area and see some of the most beautiful parts of Oahu. It's a shame when people think of Oahu as being only Waikiki/Honolulu. Outside of the cities, it's a lovely island. In fact, some of the windward mountains remind me of the Na Pali coast.

Sorry not to have more info for you.

Beachchick

Let me clarify things with my husband tonight and get back to you as the information you gave is a tremendous help. I will pick his brain on what was his plan. Get back to you soon.

Celeste

Excellent. Make sure you've got an island map so you can really see how big the island is and where things are. It might help you both be able to visualize it better. And do check the threads I linked about Mauna Kea. It's really important to realize exactly what's involved in going on your own. We would never take one of the pricy commercial tours, but many people do because they don't want the hassles. Many of those tours are afternoon through evening tours, which don't work for most cruise pax anyway.

beachchick

Thanks beachchick, I couldn't remember the company but you are right, it was Pacific Whale Foundation. I'm thinking of booking an excursion with Trilogy called the Ultimate Seafari? Do you have any experience with them? I've seen great reviews, but it is very expensive so I'd welcome comments.

My family and I went on a Trilogy snorkeling trip a few years ago and then went a second time when we were in Maui. It was a great day. It was pricey, but we thought it was worth it. We've done it twice, so probably won't do it a third time. But we loved it. They did a great trip.

My family and I went on a Trilogy snorkeling trip a few years ago and then went a second time when we were in Maui. It was a great day. It was pricey, but we thought it was worth it. We've done it twice, so probably won't do it a third time. But we loved it. They did a great trip.

Thanks for the info. We really wanted to book with them, but unfortunately they aren't running the Lanai trip on New Years Day which is the day we are there. We will keep it on the top of our list for next year!

• 4 weeks later...

My DH & I sail on the Golden to Hawaii 4/1/09 and while in Hilo, my DH would like to

take one of the helicopter tours. I don't do helicopters, but want to go to VNP.

Is there time to do both, where my DH can join me at VNP on a tour or should I

schedule my own tour for VNP?? For anyone that has recently returned from one

of Princess Hawaii sailings, when do the helicopter tours take place and do you know

if everyone has enjoyed them (of course, I mean most folks...not the whinners)?

Any info would be appreciated as Princess does not indicate any times in their list

of tours they offer.

Cindy

I'm going on this cruise on Princess in March. I've lived in Hawaii (about 20 years ago), so I'm sort of familiar with what the weather might be while there, but what about the sea days in March. Has anyone been on a cruise to Hawaii in March and can tell me about the temperatures while at sea? I'm expecting cold until we get pretty close to the islands, but I could be wrong, lol. I'm just trying to figure out what to pack. :)

Ruth, I think you will be fine booking VNP alone on the ship's tour. My DS got sick at the last minute, and DBIL went by himself. It's a nice tour, but not sure your DH will have time to do both.

dlp, we have sailed to Hawaii twice, both times in early April. It is a bit chilly for the first and last two sea days.

I wore lightweight LS shirts inside, but I have icewater for blood. DH wore shorts inside.

Pat

I haven't been on the Hawaii cruise yet (in fact, even though I lived there for 6 years, I haven't been to two of the ports), but HAVE been on the Golden twice before and loved her. She is big, so there are lots of things to explore and do. When we were on her last, they were laying down new carpet...I think that was just over a year ago. I think she's in great shape. We only picked the Star this time because I haven't been on her before, so it was something different, lol.

Furluvcats...hi, we're on the Golden,Mar 4 ,also. Come to the roll-call board and join us !! Gina

Does anyone know if there's a car rental drop off at Port San Pedro ? We'll be in sou CA a few days before our sailing and I 'd like to rent a car, but didn't know where to drop it off ???

Does anyone know if there's a car rental drop off at Port San Pedro ? We'll be in sou CA a few days before our sailing and I 'd like to rent a car, but didn't know where to drop it off ???

Gosh, I was just there a little over a year ago, and I can't remember, lol. I do know that they have a website, and it might possibly say there. If I can find my link I'll post it.

Archived