West Coast - Hawaii Roundtrip Cruisers Thread

karatemom2

We just returned from another fabulous roundtrip cruise on the Golden! I thought I'd share a little about what we chose for our port days

In Hilo, we rented a jeep and traveled north and went to the Hawaii Botanical Tropica Garden. What an amazing place!! It was just gorgeous. We walked all the way down through the paths to the ocean and by the most gorgeous waterfall. It is a great place to spend a couple of hours just taking in all of the beauty that Hawaii offers. After we left there we headed back to Hilo with a stop at Rainbow Falls. After lunch we spent part of the afternoon at Panaewa Rainforest Zoo. It's a great, intimate little zoo and even better it's free! We made a stop at Big Island Candy Factory on the way back before turning in our rental car and heading back onboard. Don't forget to pick up one of the lovely flower arrangements on sale right at the dock. They are only $10 and stay perfect for the entire rest of the cruise. Ours looked as good the day we left the ship as it did the day we bought it in Hilo.

In Honolulu, we rented a convertible which didn't get much use since it rained quite a bit. We headed first thing to Diamond Head and hiked to the top for the magnificent views. I had misgivings, but I'm so glad we did it. It was really a highlight. We then drove around the north side of the island and headed to Kualoa Ranch where we ate lunch and took the Offroad Jungle tour and the Movie Tour. It was raining buckets, but it was really scenic and fun, if a little muddy! We turned our car in after viewing the sunset at Waikiki.

In Kauai we rented a jeep and headed to Poipu for breakfast and a beach day. We enjoyed the sun for awhile and the beach was crowded, but a storm blew over and literally drenched us. It was actually kind of fun. Since we were rained out at the beach we headed back to town to try to get a Puka dog but the line was about 30 people deep at that point. So instead we took a drive through Koloa and over to the Spouting Horn before heading back to Lihue for some shopping and back to the ship.

The weather in Lahaina the next day was perfect. It was the best weather of the trip for our best excursion. We took the Lanai Wild Dolphin Snorkel with Pacific Whale Foundation. We snorkeled at two pristine locations off the coast of Lanai and saw tons of gorgeous fish and corals. The water was so clear. On the way back we saw whales and one in particular the breached over and over again right in front of the catamaran. It was very well run and I the price was incredibly reasonable. They are really a first class operation and this is an excellent excursion.

If anyone has any questions about the Golden or any of our port excursions, feel free to ask!

We just returned from another fabulous roundtrip cruise on the Golden! I thought I'd share a little about what we chose for our port days

In Hilo, we rented a jeep and traveled north and went to the Hawaii Botanical Tropica Garden. What an amazing place!! It was just gorgeous. We walked all the way down through the paths to the ocean and by the most gorgeous waterfall. It is a great place to spend a couple of hours just taking in all of the beauty that Hawaii offers. After we left there we headed back to Hilo with a stop at Rainbow Falls. After lunch we spent part of the afternoon at Panaewa Rainforest Zoo. It's a great, intimate little zoo and even better it's free! We made a stop at Big Island Candy Factory on the way back before turning in our rental car and heading back onboard. Don't forget to pick up one of the lovely flower arrangements on sale right at the dock. They are only $10 and stay perfect for the entire rest of the cruise. Ours looked as good the day we left the ship as it did the day we bought it in Hilo.

In Honolulu, we rented a convertible which didn't get much use since it rained quite a bit. We headed first thing to Diamond Head and hiked to the top for the magnificent views. I had misgivings, but I'm so glad we did it. It was really a highlight. We then drove around the north side of the island and headed to Kualoa Ranch where we ate lunch and took the Offroad Jungle tour and the Movie Tour. It was raining buckets, but it was really scenic and fun, if a little muddy! We turned our car in after viewing the sunset at Waikiki.

In Kauai we rented a jeep and headed to Poipu for breakfast and a beach day. We enjoyed the sun for awhile and the beach was crowded, but a storm blew over and literally drenched us. It was actually kind of fun. Since we were rained out at the beach we headed back to town to try to get a Puka dog but the line was about 30 people deep at that point. So instead we took a drive through Koloa and over to the Spouting Horn before heading back to Lihue for some shopping and back to the ship.

The weather in Lahaina the next day was perfect. It was the best weather of the trip for our best excursion. We took the Lanai Wild Dolphin Snorkel with Pacific Whale Foundation. We snorkeled at two pristine locations off the coast of Lanai and saw tons of gorgeous fish and corals. The water was so clear. On the way back we saw whales and one in particular the breached over and over again right in front of the catamaran. It was very well run and I the price was incredibly reasonable. They are really a first class operation and this is an excellent excursion.

If anyone has any questions about the Golden or any of our port excursions, feel free to ask!

Thanks for the great review. We will be on the 1/21/09 Golden to Hawaii. We will also be renting cars on the islands. I would like to know if you are able to get maps and brochures at each of the piers the ships docks. Also, did you find it easy to drive on the islands. I know traffic must be bad in Honolulu but is it much easier on the other islands?

Thanks

Thanks for the great review. We will be on the 1/21/09 Golden to Hawaii. We will also be renting cars on the islands. I would like to know if you are able to get maps and brochures at each of the piers the ships docks. Also, did you find it easy to drive on the islands. I know traffic must be bad in Honolulu but is it much easier on the other islands?

Thanks

They did have basic maps and brochures at the car rental locations, but I did wish in Honolulu that I had a better map for Oahu. It is easy to drive on the other islands, but getting out of Honolulu did cause us some confusion. We managed, but I think if I were to do it again, I would have brought my own more detailed map. The traffic in Honolulu was heavy at times, but we are used to driving in L.A. so that wasn't a problem. It was just a matter of figuring out the best way to get from point A to point B. If you know your plan for the day in Honolulu, it might save you time to map it out ahead of time so you are prepared.

They did have basic maps and brochures at the car rental locations, but I did wish in Honolulu that I had a better map for Oahu. It is easy to drive on the other islands, but getting out of Honolulu did cause us some confusion. We managed, but I think if I were to do it again, I would have brought my own more detailed map. The traffic in Honolulu was heavy at times, but we are used to driving in L.A. so that wasn't a problem. It was just a matter of figuring out the best way to get from point A to point B. If you know your plan for the day in Honolulu, it might save you time to map it out ahead of time so you are prepared.

Thank you so much. We have the Pearl Harbor tour scheduled for Honolulu so we may just take the bus or get a cab there after our tour to see anything else. We do have cars rented for the other islands so I'm glad to hear that it is easy to drive on those. We much prefer exploring on our own than with a tour. Just need to decide what areas we want to go to and make sure we get back in time to not miss the ship.

Welcome home and Thanks for the review, Karatemom! I do have questions about snorkeling on Maui. I am going to check out the Lanai Wild Dolphin snorkel tour, but right now we had been looking at the Princess ones, and maybe you talked to people that did those? Specifically, Clarence wants to do the SNUBA, which is on the Prince Kuhio boat, (and I will snorkel) and it is in the afternoon. I put up a thread on the Princess board to get more info on it, and people there said to snorkel in the morning as the afternoon is too windy/rough. Any info you have is appreciated! Did the Lanai tour leave from the pier there at Lahaina, or did you have to rent a car to get to them?

Joy, if you are a member of AAA, you can get a Honolulu City map from them. Also a map of the Islands.

Hey Mary,

Glad you had a good time and made it home safely.

Last time we went in 07 on Diamond we did mostly tours. Wanted to do some rentals mabe this time. OUR problem as I see it is that the next season of the cruise is Sunday departing. Gets you into Hilo a Sat. and most rentals are closed at noon.

Can you tell us where you got the cars per island and did you have to get a ride via cab TO their location?

Mahalo

Hey Mary,

Glad you had a good time and made it home safely.

Last time we went in 07 on Diamond we did mostly tours. Wanted to do some rentals mabe this time. OUR problem as I see it is that the next season of the cruise is Sunday departing. Gets you into Hilo a Sat. and most rentals are closed at noon.

Can you tell us where you got the cars per island and did you have to get a ride via cab TO their location?

Mahalo

Hi Don. Don't worry about any of the car rentals closing early. We found that when we checked the hours they are all quite extensive, even for weekends. Hawaii is such a huge tourist destination and people are coming in at all hours, so most are open into the evening 7 days a week.

We rented from Budget both years and were very satisfied. They have free shuttles in both Hilo and Kauai that pick you up right at the port. In Honolulu we rented from the Budget located at the Hyatt. They didn't have a shuttle, but the cab ride was only about $15 each way. It was a bit closer and more convenient for us than renting at the airport because we wanted to get to Diamond Head as early as possible. We didn't rent in Lahaina so I'm sorry I can't help there.

Wanted to do some rentals mabe this time. the next season of the cruise

Mahalo

Hilo airport rentals will be open and glad to rent! Before you rent, google coupons for car rentals and you may find some good ones...we did...

In Lahaina (we tender in) we have always paid a bunch extra and rented a jeep from the Aloha Toy Store. It is an easy walk from the tendering dock...Maybe 3 blocks...Plan on $100 bucks...they rent only jeeps, exotic cars (want a lamborghini?) and harleys. For us, it is worth it. The airport is a good 1/2 hour away meaning an hour for pickup and an hour for return if your plan for the day is to go south or to the other side of the island. We often plan to do the road to Hana (With the Ultimate Maui Revealed tour book, it takes about 8 hours there and back) and a convertible or jeep is definitely best for that drive! Give them a try and find a couple to share the jeep...Easy, fun, no wasted time and you'll love it!

Hi Don. Don't worry about any of the car rentals closing early. We found that when we checked the hours they are all quite extensive, even for weekends. Hawaii is such a huge tourist destination and people are coming in at all hours, so most are open into the evening 7 days a week.

We rented from Budget both years and were very satisfied. They have free shuttles in both Hilo and Kauai that pick you up right at the port. In Honolulu we rented from the Budget located at the Hyatt. They didn't have a shuttle, but the cab ride was only about $15 each way. It was a bit closer and more convenient for us than renting at the airport because we wanted to get to Diamond Head as early as possible. We didn't rent in Lahaina so I'm sorry I can't help there.

Thanks Mary,

Lahaina we may go over to Lana'i anyhow so no car needed there. Then on Kauai we just need to get to Blue Hawaiian not to far from the pier and they take you to the airport. So as of now. It is just Hilo and Oahu we are thinking about. BUT THAT CAN CHANGE. lol

Thanks again Mary

We were planning on taking the ferry to Lanai and renting a jeep, but unfortunately since it was New Year's Day, the rental company didn't open until Noon. That shouldn't be a problem for you in October. It is definitely on the top of our list for next year. Just snorkeling around Lanai, we got a sense of what an amazing place it is and I'd love to explore it more. The following link is for the ferry; you can actually buy your tickets and rent a jeep through them as a package which might work great for you.

http://www.go-lanai.com/

We were planning on taking the ferry to Lanai and renting a jeep, but unfortunately since it was New Year's Day, the rental company didn't open until Noon. That shouldn't be a problem for you in October. It is definitely on the top of our list for next year. Just snorkeling around Lanai, we got a sense of what an amazing place it is and I'd love to explore it more. The following link is for the ferry; you can actually buy your tickets and rent a jeep through them as a package which might work great for you.

http://www.go-lanai.com/

Thanks again Mary.

We seen that site and seriously thinking about it.

We are going to do the evening Cat dinner cruise on Oahu but may drive around there before. I WANA PUKA DOG. lol After seeing the place on the Travel channel.

It appears this cruise running now had to bypass Maui. Bummer.

I think the one before Marys missed Kaui. Or maybe the one before that one.

Man I feel we were very blessed to be able to hit all 5 ports in 2007. Wish there were still 5 ports. :(

Man, we cant wait.

It appears this cruise running now had to bypass Maui. Bummer.

I think the one before Marys missed Kaui. Or maybe the one before that one.

Man I feel we were very blessed to be able to hit all 5 ports in 2007. Wish there were still 5 ports. :(

Man, we cant wait.

Yes they missed Maui due to extremely high winds. It's too bad, but better to be safe. I'm sure that the passengers were very disappointed. I know I would be as Lahaina is one of our favorite ports.

Here is an article about it that someone posted on the Princess board:

http://www.mauinews.com/page/content.detail/id/513725.html?nav=10

Most of the posting here refer to the Golden. We are going on HAL out of San Diego on March 7. If there are any others here on that cruise how about going to the Roll Call board for the Zaandam and plan on coming to the Meet and Greet.

Judee

We just booked 11/22/09 for the Golden Princess....woo hoo....I have been to Oahu several times....once to VNP....and the other ports are NEW!! Looking forward to this cruise....I am giving it to my SO for his 50th b'day in April although we're not sailing until my b'day :) Dual celebrations!! We are also going to Alaska this May....so, we will be in Alaska for their 50th b'day as a state and in Hawaii the 50th state.....how fitting for SO's 50th b'day year!!

We just booked 11/22/09 for the Golden Princess....woo hoo....I have been to Oahu several times....once to VNP....and the other ports are NEW!! Looking forward to this cruise....I am giving it to my SO for his 50th b'day in April although we're not sailing until my b'day :) Dual celebrations!! We are also going to Alaska this May....so, we will be in Alaska for their 50th b'day as a state and in Hawaii the 50th state.....how fitting for SO's 50th b'day year!!

How wonderful for you both!! You will really enjoy this cruise on the Golden. It's a wonderful ship and will be all the more wonderful after it comes out of dry dock in April. It will probably still feel brand new when you cruise in November. If you have any questions I can answer just let me know.

Yes, I read about the drydock....and afterwards there would be MUTS....that "sold" me....I had that before on my cruise on the Med (Carnival's version) and loved it....it will be wonderful to have it again and especially for the longer cruise too...I am so excited...now to keep the "secret" from SO until April...shhhhh.....that will be the hard part!! It will be his very first trip Hawaii ever! I will concentrate on Alaskan cruise until then....(sure) ALOHA!!:D

Almost anytime of year the first couple of days crossing the Pacific from So Cal can be a little rocky due to the prevailing current, but the stormy season here is really most prevalent from late December through February. October, November or December would all probably be great months. We left on December 18 last year and it rained when we left and it was a bit rocky on day 1 and 2, but overall the weather was good. We are going back in December again this year!

My question about sea days is more about the daytime/nighttime temperatures going over and back. We are cruising in early April and wanted to know what to expect.

My question about sea days is more about the daytime/nighttime temperatures going over and back. We are cruising in early April and wanted to know what to expect.

It should be warmer for you in April than it was for us in December. We left in stormy weather. However it's never what I would call really warm on the Pacific Coast, especially at sea. The first couple of days leaving LA and the last couple of days before you get back can generally be a bit cool and breezy, especially in the evenings. Once you get closer to Hawaii, it warms up and is definitely balmier and more pleasant for on deck activites. My advice is always to bring some warm layering items like sweatshirts or sweaters that you can easily remove if it's warm enough.

It should be warmer for you in April than it was for us in December. We left in stormy weather. However it's never what I would call really warm on the Pacific Coast, especially at sea. The first couple of days leaving LA and the last couple of days before you get back can generally be a bit cool and breezy, especially in the evenings. Once you get closer to Hawaii, it warms up and is definitely balmier and more pleasant for on deck activites. My advice is always to bring some warm layering items like sweatshirts or sweaters that you can easily remove if it's warm enough.

Thanx karatemom2, that was very helpful!

We are going in April also.... I heard that the first few days are windy and that the port and starboard balconies often get wet with sea spray. We are in an aft balcony on the Golden. Hopefully the weather will be a little better back there but I guess we will see.

I have never sailed Princess before but I am used to having a lot of sea days from all of the transatlantics I have done. Last April we spent 4 days in Paris with a 6-day crossing before and after. I have to say that was the one vacation where I came back most rested and ready to come home, because of how relaxing it was to be at sea.

For this cruise we have planned a plane ride and private tour of all the volcano sites in Hilo. I booked a car rental in Oahu where we so far have decided to climb Diamond Head Crater, go horseback riding, and possibly Germaine's Luau. In Kauai we are doing a helicopter tour and not sure yet what else because we are in port for only 9 hours. One thing I am disappointed about is that we can't do the NaPali Expedition unless we skip the copter ride.... it is not an easy sacrifice since I really want to boat through the sea caves. Maui has a similar tour but we won't be off the ship early enough, however we are doing a ship's tour there so we should have first tender. This one goes to Molokini Crater and a turtle beach. I was thinking that since it's going to be April which is the end of whale season, I didn't want to chance a whale watch.... and I heard there can be a lot of whales around the crater anyway. I would be less disappointed not seeing whales on that excursion than a specific whale watch.

Thank you so much for this thread.... I have found it extremely helpful!

For this cruise we have planned a plane ride and private tour of all the volcano sites in Hilo. I booked a car rental in Oahu where we so far have decided to climb Diamond Head Crater, go horseback riding, and possibly Germaine's Luau. In Kauai we are doing a helicopter tour and not sure yet what else because we are in port for only 9 hours. One thing I am disappointed about is that we can't do the NaPali Expedition unless we skip the copter ride.... it is not an easy sacrifice since I really want to boat through the sea caves. Maui has a similar tour but we won't be off the ship early enough, however we are doing a ship's tour there so we should have first tender. This one goes to Molokini Crater and a turtle beach. I was thinking that since it's going to be April which is the end of whale season, I didn't want to chance a whale watch.... and I heard there can be a lot of whales around the crater anyway. I would be less disappointed not seeing whales on that excursion than a specific whale watch.

Thank you so much for this thread.... I have found it extremely helpful!

It sounds as if you have a great itinerary planned. You will really enjoy the hike up Diamond Head. It was one of the highlights of our recent trip. It's such a great reward when you get to the top and get to take in those amazing views. Where will you be horseback riding in Oahu?

It sounds as if you have a great itinerary planned. You will really enjoy the hike up Diamond Head. It was one of the highlights of our recent trip. It's such a great reward when you get to the top and get to take in those amazing views. Where will you be horseback riding in Oahu?

It is a place called Gunstock Ranch where they have a Sweetheart Ride for couples-

http://www.hawaiiactivities.com/us/hawaii/oahu/sg/2075/ag/7335

It is a little pricey but much cheaper than the ship's excursion on Maui, which would not be a private ride as this one is.

It is a place called Gunstock Ranch where they have a Sweetheart Ride for couples-

http://www.hawaiiactivities.com/us/hawaii/oahu/sg/2075/ag/7335

It is a little pricey but much cheaper than the ship's excursion on Maui, which would not be a private ride as this one is.

Hi Ginny,

Remember me ?? I am the lady from AZ that lived in the LA area (grew up there) for most of my life. My DH is going to take a helicopter tour in

Hilo and is considering one in Kauai. Have you made a reservation yet?

If so, which one are you taking? I would love for him to travel with

someone he can meet in advance. I would love to join him, but DO NOT

like flying and so will not consider a helicopter tour..so he must travel

alone, but certainly want him to enjoy this once in a lifetime adventure.

Cindy

Archived