West Coast - Hawaii Roundtrip Cruisers Thread

karatemom2

We will be on the Golden in February. How many formal nights are scheduled?

There are three formal evenings and they are on sea days. On the most recent Golden cruise the reports are that they were on day 3, day 10 and day 13.

In reading Oahu Revealed, I see that a drive along Tantalus and Round Top is great in a convertible, which we are renting. I just wrote about coming back from Kailua on H3, but in order to do the Tantalus, do we miss the H3 and come back on 61? Is that very scenic?

Beachchick: I think we'll note do the shore drive, just possibly to Tantalus/RoundTop, to Nuuanu Pali lookout, try to find a cutover highway to H3, back to Honolulu. Your imput was very helpful. Although, I though the Tantalus drive was only 8 miles -- are there just a lot of stops to hike to overlooks? I though it would take 30-45 minutes -- if we didn't hike to every overlook -- would that be a good estimate?

In reading Oahu Revealed, I see that a drive along Tantalus and Round Top is great in a convertible, which we are renting. I just wrote about coming back from Kailua on H3, but in order to do the Tantalus, do we miss the H3 and come back on 61? Is that very scenic?

Beachchick: I think we'll not do the shore drive, just possibly to Tantalus/RoundTop, to Nuuanu Pali lookout, try to find a cutover highway to H3, back to Honolulu. Your imput was very helpful. Although, I though the Tantalus drive was only 8 miles -- are there just a lot of stops to hike to overlooks? I though it would take 30-45 minutes -- if we didn't hike to every overlook -- would that be a good estimate?

Cruise is coming up this week -- I'm not sure if I'm ready. My last decisions are with our last stop -- Kona. Have thought of going up to a beautiful beach to the north of Kona (25-30 miles). Are there any more "must-see's" here?

If you like to snorkel, I think Kealakekua Bay is one of the most prolific and pristine snorkeling locations I have seen. Your best bet if it interests you is to book a boat tour of some sort that takes you to the Bay. The Captain Zodiac tours are really fun.

Beachchick: I think we'll not do the shore drive, just possibly to Tantalus/RoundTop, to Nuuanu Pali lookout, try to find a cutover highway to H3, back to Honolulu. Your imput was very helpful. Although, I though the Tantalus drive was only 8 miles -- are there just a lot of stops to hike to overlooks? I though it would take 30-45 minutes -- if we didn't hike to every overlook -- would that be a good estimate?

I honestly can't tell you. My DH doesn't remember specifics, just that it took a couple of hours. The guidebooks we've got say the same thing. I just checked gohawaii, which says 1 hour with no stops at all. So, if you want to add a few stops, plan on the couple of hours the guidebooks recommend. IMO, it would not be a good use of time to just drive it flat out. It's like the RTH in that respect: Stopping and enjoying the scenery is a major reason to do the drive. I'm pretty sure that you can't do the drive in 30 or even 45 minutes, regardless.

Perhaps one of our very helpful locals or a member who has done this recently will chime in with specifics.

beachchick

The first Golden cruisers are back and sharing some great information.

The Hawaiian cultural experiences onboard includes ukulele lessons, lei making and hula dancing. In the last days of the cruise there is a combined hula and ukulele performance show for passengers to showcase all they have learned. There are also lectures on Hawaiian culture and some special shows on port days as follows:

Hilo (Big Island): 3:30-5:00 pm Bone Carving Demonstration

Nawiliwili (Kauai): 2:30 pm Treasures of Ni'ihau

Honolulu (Ohu): 7:00-8:45 pm The Halau Hula Olana Folkloric Show

The cruise director David Cole does an excellent job incorporating Hawaiian culture and entertainment into the cruise and really promotes a spirit of Aloha from the moment you board.

I have posted this elsewhere on this section...

But thought it might get some attention here.

Anyone know anything about the Honolulu City Lights Christmas display at City Hall?

Do you know if it is walkable from the cruise terminal in Honolulu?

Don't know anything about it and don't remember specifically looking at it when we were there at Christmas time. But I can tell you that the main city hall is about a mile, maybe a bit more, from the piers.

beachchick

I'm so happy to find this thread. We just booked the Golden for NEXT November - our first trip to Hawaii' date=' so I'll have plenty of time to read up on what everyone recommends![/size']

Cathy

Hi Cathy. You will love the Golden!

For all the Golden cruisers I'm posting this link to the daily Patters for the Hawaii itinerary that a fellow CCer just posted. Enjoy!

http://community.webshots.com/album/...TBHpEX?start=0

We will be on the Golden on Dec. 10th. This is a different time of year for us to cruise, and we are usually in the carribean. I'm a little concerned about what clothes to pack. Since it's close to Christmas will people still be in summer clothes? We are from SD where we already have snow! I have a hard time thinking spring and summer at this time of year. We usually cruise late winter early spring and we are excited to get out the spring and summer clothes. With the new restrictions on luggage I can't pack both! Can someone help me out? I've also heard it can be cool in LA. Do I board in my usual capri's and a shirt or do I need something warmer? Thanks!

Hi, we are on this cruise with you. Since you are from an area of the country that is already experiencing snow our weather out here will probably seem pretty balmy to you. Now, Southern California can be pretty fickle there are times that it can actually be in the higher 70's in December...............but it can also decide to top out in the 50's. I would say that capris might be alittle chilly. I would say you will want to be wearing long pants and probably have a light jacket. I have heard that the first two and last two days of the cruise are chilly, but things will warm up as we get closer to Hawaii. The weather in the islands will probably still be in the high 70's and low 80's. You certainly don't need your winter clothes. One suggestion is to wear long pants and keep a pair of capris or shorts in your carry on so that you can change as soon as you get here, then you will be prepared either way.

Hope this helps................see you on the Golden Dec 10th

We will be on the Golden on Dec. 10th. This is a different time of year for us to cruise, and we are usually in the carribean. I'm a little concerned about what clothes to pack. Since it's close to Christmas will people still be in summer clothes? We are from SD where we already have snow! I have a hard time thinking spring and summer at this time of year. We usually cruise late winter early spring and we are excited to get out the spring and summer clothes. With the new restrictions on luggage I can't pack both! Can someone help me out? I've also heard it can be cool in LA. Do I board in my usual capri's and a shirt or do I need something warmer? Thanks!

For LA and the first couple of days of the crossing, you'll want a jacket and long pants (but you could wear those on the plane and not use precious suitcase space for them--I hear you about those luggage restrictions and costs). A sweater would be a good idea, but you don't need to pack the bulky or heavy wool. You'll want a lightweight sweater for the ship's indoor venues anyway, so do pack one or two.

Otherwise, your summer clothes will be fine for the rest of the trip. We always bring a lightweight sweater each, compact umbrellas, and squishable, washable sun hats. It will rain at some point during your visit, which is where the broad-brimmed sun hats come in handy. Unless we're going to one of the summits, we leave our jackets at home. There were several trips where our neatly rolled and rubberbanded rain jackets never even made it out of the suitcase! We finally decided not to waste the space for them unless we had a compelling reason (i.e., the summits). Even if you visit VNP at 4,000 ft, you shouldn't need more than a light jacket or sweater during the day. As you'll need one for LA and the first/last part of the crossing, you should already be set. In December, evenings in Hawaii can cool down into the low 60s with daytime highs in the 70s and low 80s (depending).

As for clothes, in Hawaii there really isn't a whole lot of difference between "summer" clothes and "year round" clothes. In fact, the only differences I've noticed is that more people tend to wear light sweaters and/or long pants/slacks in the evening when it cools down a bit. So, yes people will still be wearing summer clothes because those are the clothes they wear all year. You will likely see some festive and fun attire in the evenings, but for the most part, warm weather clothes are SOP. We've been to Hawaii several times in winter. It's typically rainier and somewhat cooler (a relative term considering that the daytime air temperature variance between July and January is less than 10 degrees). But we still bring and wear the same clothes in Hawaii whether it's June or December.

beachchick

We were on the Oct.29 - Nov.12 cruise on the Golden Princess. You can wear your crops, but I suggest that you bring a sweater or windbreaker. We rocked and rolled coming and going and it was cool on the ship. The weather on the islands was great and comfortable not too hot or cold. It did rain on and off and we rented cars on all the islands. In Ensenada people were wearing sweaters , leather jackets and long pants. My husband and I both have colds now. My husband's cold started on Tuesday and mine started on Thursdayon the return. The cruise was great and we enjoyed every minute. There were three formal nights. The sea was choppy in Maui, here we tendered and a lady took a toss getting back on the ship, but she was OK. Tourism is down and Hawaii is feeling the economy just as we are on the mainland.We were off the ship and in our car before 9 AM and were home by 11:30 on Wednesday. Have a great time!!:)

Hi everyone~~~We've sailed RT Hawaii from San Diego twice now. The last one was in April on Zaandam, the other on Statendam.

Pat:

We are sailing on the Zaandam on Feb. 20th. This will be our longest cruise only 7 days in the past. We like HAL and would like to hear about your Zaandam experience and what excursions you did on each island.

I'm glad to see this thread, too. When looking at some of the posts on the Hawaii thread it made me wonder if we had made a mistake with this booking. My DH loves the sea days and we were stationed in Hawaii in the 70s and have not been back so was looking forward to seeing it once more. Any advice you can give will be welcome.

Bookfinder

As far as Zaandam goes, this is our favorite ship. We had an aft balcony which made it so easy to get down to dining, up to Lido, and to Explorations Cafe, where we spent so much time. We also went there every day for Latte's.

HAL has good free coffee, but I am spoiled for Latte's. :)

Dining room food is very good. Lido buffet also.

HAL did send me a reply to my question about the "small venue games". They said that so many passengers complained, they discontinued alot of them. Now I, for one, do like some of those games.

Sooooo~~ if you like Trivia, go early ! The seating is quickly filled, as are the hula lessons. (Alot of men at those lessons too ). Also the evening shows fill up quickly.

One thing I really appreciated is that the ship is not freezing cold. I needed no wrap on formal nights.

As for shore excursions~~~trip one, we went to Pearl Harbor, Punchbowl, Volcanoes Nat'l Park, Ulelena Theater (wonderful evening show on Maui),

glass bottom boat, DH went snorkling in Kona, Maui Ocean Center (awesome) and tropical plantation.

Trip two~~~~I had more physical challenges this time so we did some "low key" tours.

We did Waves and Waterfalls tour in Hilo, Little Circle Island tour in Honolulu, Seahorse Farm in Kona, and back to Ulelena Theater on Maui (like that show).

HAL does sail past the volcano at night, so if there isn't too much "vog", you will see lava as it hits the ocean.

We love Hawaii, and I am sure you will like the ship also.

Pat

Sorry, I forgot this: We always book our shore excursions online, and well in advance (120 days out is the earliest).

We use HAL's tours because we don't want the bother of doing it ourselves. Also, Honolulu traffic can be brutal. (IMO)

Tours have a tendency to fill up early.

Pat

Very interesting and informative thread.

I have been to Hawaii twice, both in June. We will be taking a late April cruise next year. I love snorkeling. Does anyone know what the ocean temperature is at that time of year? Are the whales gone by that time?

Archived