So what did you think when the boards went down???

FinelyCruising

I enjoy checking in with my morning green tea. I thought gee...this is taking a looong time. :confused: So I checked my airport connections and thought gee....this is taking a looong time.:D

I did eventually have to leave for work, and I knew I was not going to be near a computer during this day to catch up, which is not unusual...yet this morning's routine wasn't quite the same, and it threw me a little ;)

How about you?

I was pretty annoyed. It's not been just today (or this early AM). There have been several times when - even at an early AM WC hour - I could not get on. Sloppy maintenance issues and AFAIK no other excuxes.

Midnight in PNW is 3AM on EC. The majority of peeps hail from NA. There should be zero reason to have probs getting on at that time of night.

Sign me

Pretty Annoyed :mad:

See Laura's sticky note here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/announcement.php?f=28&a=154

I'm taking my "host" hat off for a moment and expressing my "member" feelings on this subject. I have to tell you that I'm amazed at reactions when problems arise. The folks at Cruise Critic (keep in mind that hosts are volunteers who are members that use the boards for our cruise planning just like other members) are trying to do maintenance and upgrades to provide us all with a better product and when things don't go just right, the comments start to fly.

Let me tell you about real problems.....folks from Texas to Ohio to Illinois have been without power since the weekend and dealing with massive flooding. Our office in Cincinnati cannot function because almost 600,000 customers have no electricity. No access to phones, computer servers, air conditioning, lights, etc., etc., etc.

While I don't like not being able to access along with our other members, I do remind myself that this is a CRUISE message board. It's not causing me to lose all the food in my refridgerator or my entire life's belongings to storm surge and hurricane winds.

Sorry folks, I just think it's time for a reality check.

See Laura's sticky note here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/announcement.php?f=28&a=154

I'm taking my "host" hat off for a moment and expressing my "member" feelings on this subject. I have to tell you that I'm amazed at reactions when problems arise. The folks at Cruise Critic (keep in mind that hosts are volunteers who are members that use the boards for our cruise planning just like other members) are trying to do maintenance and upgrades to provide us all with a better product and when things don't go just right, the comments start to fly.

Let me tell you about real problems.....folks from Texas to Ohio to Illinois have been without power since the weekend and dealing with massive flooding. Our office in Cincinnati cannot function because almost 600,000 customers have no electricity. No access to phones, computer servers, air conditioning, lights, etc., etc., etc.

While I don't like not being able to access along with our other members, I do remind myself that this is a CRUISE message board. It's not causing me to lose all the food in my refridgerator or my entire life's belongings to storm surge and hurricane winds.

Thanks for reminding all of us of this. It's hard not to get annoyed, but as you said, you ARE all volunteers, and this IS a free site ... so those who are "pretty annoyed" could perhaps step up and volunteer themselves?

Anyway, I was grateful the site was down because I actually got some work done!!! :D

And thanks to you, the other hosts, and those who keep this up for all of us.

I did not find when I posted this thread the cause of the outage, but the cause was not an issue for me. I was glad we were all back and happy, without idea as to why.

Give me that darned hat of yours and I will be happy to fan the ideas of cool, calm and collected for you without contemplating the cause of why you need sedation... (although I can take a good guess) and I have no care to ask what went wrong on this site or or why.

I suspect there are others like me too.:)

Thanks for taking the time for checking in and saying Hello....you along with a bunch of others had a pretty tough day that is recognized and appreciated.

I was pretty annoyed. It's not been just today (or this early AM). There have been several times when - even at an early AM WC hour - I could not get on. Sloppy maintenance issues and AFAIK no other excuxes.

Midnight in PNW is 3AM on EC. The majority of peeps hail from NA. There should be zero reason to have probs getting on at that time of night.

Sign me

Pretty Annoyed :mad:

Like to remind our younger "up-to-date" posters that there are a lot of old folk out here that find the "text messages" language hard to follow (I actually LIKE the Kings English...words for example...but it might be just me...don't do ANY texting AT ALL.)

A hearty THANK-You for the Hosts aboard.

This being a for-profit corporation also has its times of down..;)

Having different Server locations is always a lesson after the matter... same as Hind-Sight it is usually best 40/20 and 20/20 most people have it...

Life like love and Cruising is what we make of it...

Here too..as in what does a math wiz do when the electricity goes out((?))

He/She writes in the sand or on paper....

In times of down that may be the time to compose your thoughts as well take a note for later when it is available... always thank God what we are given without expectations...:cool:

Anne, I totally agree with you. I don't get the anger of some here when the boards go AWOL. After all it's FREE.:rolleyes:

Phil

I apologize for the vent last night. In this age of instant communication, I feel we tend to lose perspective at times. It's fine to "miss" not being able to log on to a message board when a problem arises, but there's a difference between missing something, as many did, and getting upset.

Thanks so much for all the kind words and understanding. They are much appreciated.

This site is as everyone else has said----is absolutely the "best". I too was able to do a few other things when it was down.

Laura & Anne---thank you & the rest of the volunteer staff for keeping this as trouble free as it usually is.

We all must keep things in perspective. Thank God that most of us have been spared the tragedy of living through hurricane damage. We truly do take our lives for granted.

Well wishes to the hard hit areas of the country that are now attempting massive clean-up tasks.

Thank you again.

Dianne

I apologize for the vent last night. .

Dear Anne,

For me, there is absolutely no reason for you to apologise.

I for one really did miss the board as we were in the middle of booking a cruise and I sought more info. I was actually far more concerned that I could not get on to the Celebrity booking engine either. This board is read, used and enjoyed all over the world which would not be possible but for you and your colleagues.

I had trouble-then I just figured it was the Morans getting back :)

Hope you are safe

Carole

I apologize for the vent last night. In this age of instant communication, I feel we tend to lose perspective at times. It's fine to "miss" not being able to log on to a message board when a problem arises, but there's a difference between missing something, as many did, and getting upset.

Thanks so much for all the kind words and understanding. They are much appreciated.

While I do appreciate the fact that this board is free, and the "hosts/hostesses" are volunteers, I still think it would be common courtesy to put a post that the board will be down for maintenance or clean-up or whatever.

While I do appreciate the fact that this board is free, and the "hosts/hostesses" are volunteers, I still think it would be common courtesy to put a post that the board will be down for maintenance or clean-up or whatever.

There was a message on the CC home page yesterday, advising of technical difficulties on the boards.

I for one wasn't mad about the boards being down, mostly I was concerned. I could get to everything on the main page, it was just the boards I couldn't get to, so I thought maybe it was blocked by work. Thank goodness that wasn't the case. I hope all the maintenance that needed to be done got done. I am just glad to be back.

Then perhaps you'd like to volunteer some of your time to help them in these instances?

Host Anne, your post was spot-on and you needn't offer any apology........:D

I believe Laura did post a note, however, the maintenance didn't go as planned and at that point it wasn't possible to post an update or for anyone to get on to read Laura's note. It's unfortunate when things don't go as planned but it does happen.

Great day to all.

Archived