Recent Westerdam Cruise to Alaska

Rudolph38

This was our 3rd HAL cruise in the last 3 years. In the 80's we took 2 RCL cruises and one American Hawaii.

A few observations and opinions:

We arrived in Seattle on 9-6, the night before the cruise. Stayed at the Airport Sleep Inn. Good choice for our purposes. Small rooms, but new and very clean. Helpful staff, good shuttle from the airport, and a good breakfast---for about $100. Took a town car to the pier next morning for $45 plus tip. There was a convenience store two blocks away where I bought 3 bottles of modest wine to take on board.

Our up-graded VC cabin (VH gurarantee) was the last one, starboard side aft. Probably a bit more movement and occasional vibration, but not bothersome. I found it soothing at night. My wife would have preferred a cabin with a bath. This one just had a shower. No handicap in being on the starboard side. In fact, we got to view the Margerie glacier much longer than did port side. Saw 6 different calvings.

Rained in Juneau. Took the Wildlife and Whale Quest excursion. Nice experience. Ended up in a pod of whales. Lots of spouts, divings, and two breaches. Also saw sea lions and bald eagles. Worth the money.

Just did walking tours of Sitka and Ketchikan. Weather more cooperative on those days...though some rain in Sitka.

First experience with As You Wish Dining. Worked alright for us. We made reservations every morning for 5:30 for a table of 6 or 8. Had great tables on the stern windows. Only one night did we have unfriendly people...glad we were not stuck with them for 6 nights. Most people were pleasant, and ended up 3 nights at a table with the same couple. The negative of this is that the introductory conversation does get a bit tiring. But not nearly as bad as getting stuck with people you dont relate to for 6 nights.

The 5:30 time allowed us to see the 7:00 show. Enjoyed the shows. Not Broadway, but the young people were talented. Magician was very good. Missed the comedienne.

The self-carry debarkation was smooth. We were off the ship by 8:00 am. Suggest you report for it 10-15 minutes beforehand. However, it is so fast that the length of line doesnt matter.

Criticisms:

Biggest was the Lido Grill during busy times, especially when at sea. It is very crowded and hard to find an empty table. I hate lines, and I found eating an unpleasant experience during those times. To make matters worse, HAL did not provide trays to carry food. It was hard to get everything you wanted without getting in another line. Obviously a cost-cutting procedure (no need to wash trays, and people probably don't take as much food). A bad idea.

Compared with cruises in the 80's, the food is not as good. Tasty, but not gourmet like it used to be (Maybe I'm just more jaded now.) Choices were fine, and I always found something I wanted. However, fish was always over-cooked.

Not a criticism, because it really doesnt matter that much to me, but dress is definitely getting more casual in the dining room at dinner, even over the span of the last 3 years. More sport coats during formal night---some without ties. People in tuxedos struck me as a bit overdressed. (Don't flame me, please. Just my opinion.) Jeans not too uncommon on other nights.

Overall, a nice experience. Service, as usual, was excellent.

Rudy

We were on the Westerdam to Alaska in August. We also took the wildlife and whale quest in Juneau and enjoyed it. Although our favorite excursion was the Deadliest Catch in Ketchikan. It was amazing! We ate in the Lido every day except one when we made dinner reservations the day before (we tried to get reservations in the morning of the second day and nothing was available so we settled on the next day). We personally preferred the Lido over the dining room. We were always the first ones at breakfast so we didn't find any crowds. The bread and pastries were very good. Also, I would check the dinner menu and if there was something I wanted (the chilled soups and/or entrees) I would order it as room service that evening. So we ate dinner in our room twice and found it very relaxing (we were in a SY suite). My husband is a very picky eater and didn't think the food was great (passable but not outstanding) but liked the pizza. He did enjoy having made to order egg omelets for breakfast.

diane

We're doing Westerdam in two weeks, and like to have a quick dinner in the Lido some nights. We are not going to like the 'No-tray" policy. One of my arms isn't 100% usable and it's going to be rough carrying two things without a tray.....

Just saying this in case an HAL lurker wants to either re-think the tray idea or respond to our concerns....

I have to question that "no tray" thing. There's always been trays around on all my cruises. My most recent cruise was in July, and there was no shortage of trays.

Is it possible that there were just no trays in a particular area? Or that an area was just out of clean trays for a time?

I do remember one cruise a few years ago when there were no trays at the sandwich bar. I asked, and was told Seattle had decided not to have them at that station. I expressed my dismay, and grabbed a tray from another station from that point on. btw---I never saw that policy again.

I have to question that "no tray" thing. There's always been trays around on all my cruises. My most recent cruise was in July, and there was no shortage of trays.

Is it possible that there were just no trays in a particular area? Or that an area was just out of clean trays for a time?

I do remember one cruise a few years ago when there were no trays at the sandwich bar. I asked, and was told Seattle had decided not to have them at that station. I expressed my dismay, and grabbed a tray from another station from that point on. btw---I never saw that policy again.

I have to question the No Tray thing, too. There is always a steward there to greet you and hand out trays. I'm wondering if the OP had a problem because of the Lido configuration on the Vistas, with the different stations?:confused:

Compared with cruises in the 80's, the food is not as good. Tasty, but not gourmet like it used to be

I totally agree. The food on our last cruise was good but not outstanding. It is obvious that's one area that has seen significant cost-cutting. But still good, better than average banquet food IMHO.

I overheard someone say that one of the managers told her that they were trying this out.

We can only hope that they end up with enough spilled food (and irate pax expressing their displeasure to crew, resulting in non-productive crew time) to make the cost of washing trays look insignificant or non-existent.

We can only hope that they end up with enough spilled food (and irate pax expressing their displeasure to crew, resulting in non-productive crew time) to make the cost of washing trays look insignificant or non-existent.

No kidding. Trust a manager to come up with something like that:D . Ask the workers bees about ideas. They always have a more realistic view of a situation.

No trays in the Lido ??? I cannot imagine that anyone could conceive of an idiotic plan like that. Goes right along with changing the aft pools on the S class ships to wading pools. What is HAL doing ?

The HM on the Westerdam was not that impressive anyway so this type of bone headed idea may just fit.

There were no trays at any station---every breakfast and lunch for the 7 days. Believe me, I looked. I overheard someone say that one of the managers told her that they were trying this out.

Ok, then. It was a stoopid idea on the Rotterdam in '03 (or '04, I forget which), and it's still a stoopid idea. :rolleyes:

(how many "o"s in "stoopid"? ;))

Order room service the first chance you get and then keep the tray.

You feel kind of goofy walking up the stairs with a tray, but you feel knid of clever once you get to the Lido and several people ask you where you got the tray.

Maybe the trays will show up on eBay.;)

In the past year or so, there have been similar sporatic reports of MIA Lido trays on most of the mass marketed cruise lines. Perhaps it cuts down on waste.

Average cabin prices have not kept up with inflation, so this leaves cost cutting.

Archived