Question About HD Video Cameras

MsMinx

This is really off topic, but i'm hoping some of you guys with High Definition video cameras can give me some advice?

We're looking at getting a Sony HD video camera but the guy at Hardly Normal said that if i'm planning to edit the videos on my Macbook that the 2 are not compatible. He said that I could switch the camera over to standard definition to get it to work, but that defeats the purpose of going HD as I already have a SD one.

Does anyone know if this guy was full of it or would I really have an issue editing on the Mac? None of the reviews i've read about the camera said anything at all about not being Mac compatible?? I also have a PC which i'm not opposed to using if I really have to in order to get the HD recording edited.

Hi Jo,

There have been problems with HD video formats, that are starting to settle down as more and more vendors update their PC's.

I bought a Panasonic HD video camera last December. The results are amazing. When playing back or editing on a PC, it needs to be capable of handling AVCHD format video. The software that came with mine is PC compatable, but not Mac compatable.

Like everything with Mac, they will eventually come up with their comparable software. As far as I know iMovie will convert a AVCHD video into it's own format, but it loses quality in the process.

Your PC may be the answer. It will need to be reasonably modern to cope with the demands of HD editing.

Hi Jo

We are moving over to Apple and also getting new HD videocam....we were told Sony software is not recognised by Apple so i went on the hunt for more info and found this link hope it helps..... http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1014

cheers shiona

Great link.

Confirms two issues with Apple and Sony AVCHD high definition video.

- If there is standard definition video on the camera, it must be erased before importing HD video.

- Requires an Intel Duo Core based Mac (will not work with Power Mac G5)

The latest Canon AVCHD cameras appear to be compatable, and the latest Panasonic AVCHD ones will run on a Mac with iMovie 7.1.2 or later.

Thanks so much for that link Shiona! We're looking at the Sony HDRSR11.

Looks like I shouldn't have a problem editing on the Macbook as I recently upgraded to the iLife '08 package :)

Guess who's going camera shopping on the weekend :D:D

I've really been wanting a HD video cam, particularly one that will combat my shaky hand!!

Hope you enjoy your Apple when you get it Shiona. I've had hours of fun with mine. Wouldn't trade it for the world. It's true what they say, "Once you go Mac, you don't go back" ;)

Archived