Penn Station to NCL cruise pier

yellowbird23

We took a taxi on a Thursday around 11:00 am and it cost $7.00 BUT since it was a CTN and we only had minimal luggage we were dropped off across the street (12th Avenue) from the pier. The driver told us this would save money because the entrance to the pier for vehicles involved a drive up-town a few blocks to pick up the ramp to the entrance and then waiting in line. There is a taxi line when you exit Penn Station so you shouldn't have a problem finding one.

We took a taxi on a Thursday around 11:00 am and it cost $7.00 BUT since it was a CTN and we only had minimal luggage we were dropped off across the street (12th Avenue) from the pier. The driver told us this would save money because the entrance to the pier for vehicles involved a drive up-town a few blocks to pick up the ramp to the entrance and then waiting in line. There is a taxi line when you exit Penn Station so you shouldn't have a problem finding one.

We did this with and it was a week long cruise. If your suitcase has wheels and you can walk at a reasonable pace, you will have not problem doing this. When you get to the terminal take the elevator up one floor to where the longshoremen take your baggage. It is less stressful for us than that traffic jam.

If you really want to be cheap and are in fairly good shape, and only have minimal luggage, the walk from Penn to the pier is doable.:D

As stated above yes a walk from Penn station to the pier is doable, if you know where you are going and do not have luggage. With luggage and travelling by your self, I would take a cab. We also travel from Penn station to the Pier for each of our 4 cruises. The cost has never been greater than $8 before tip and we have traveled, Thursday, Sat and Sunday. Yes sunday was the cheapest with mimimal traffic. We have always been dropped off right in front of the terminal, never across the street, it has never been and issue. Exit Penn station on 8th for the taxi stand.

Anyone know how to do this the most economical way? Travelling solo for October cruise.

Penn Station is in Manhattan. New Jersey Penn Station is in New Jersey. Which are you asking about?

Penn Station Manhattan take NJ Transit to NJ Penn Station and then hop a cab.

As stated above yes a walk from Penn station to the pier is doable, if you know where you are going and do not have luggage. With luggage and travelling by your self, I would take a cab. We also travel from Penn station to the Pier for each of our 4 cruises. The cost has never been greater than $8 before tip and we have traveled, Thursday, Sat and Sunday. Yes sunday was the cheapest with mimimal traffic. We have always been dropped off right in front of the terminal, never across the street, it has never been and issue. Exit Penn station on 8th for the taxi stand.

The traffic depends on how many ships are leaving the same day you are. Everyone has to feed onto the upper roadway of the terminal. If you happen to be leaving the same day as two NCL ships and a Carnival and a HAL. It is crazy and confusing.

The traffic depends on how many ships are leaving the same day you are. Everyone has to feed onto the upper roadway of the terminal. If you happen to be leaving the same day as two NCL ships and a Carnival and a HAL. It is crazy and confusing.

actually they have changed the flow somewhat. The limos and buses now go on to the first level cars and cabs on the second level so its not as bad as its been also the number of ships is usually three or less as opposed to as many as 5 before so its not as bad as it has been but four gets fairly crowded.

its penn station New york and Penn Station Newark...and there is a Penn Station in Baltimore too. But I am pretty sure the poster was asking about Penn Station New York.

Yes indeed it is and I was having a brain fart.

If the OP is talking about Penn Station New York, then he/she is getting some grossly incorrect information.

Yes indeed it is and I was having a brain fart.

If the OP is talking about Penn Station New York, then he/she is getting some grossly incorrect information.

How is this information "grossly incorrect"? Seems fine to me and I was a native New Yorker for many years.:confused:

Archived