New Rome Law on sightseeing with food

Hi,

I remember reading recently that Rome was outlawing eating while sightseeing, or something like that. Does that mean I can't get a gelato and walk around Piazza Novana or the Spanish steps? Or does it mean I can't go inside sights such as the Pantheon or the Forum with food?

Thanks

Deb

The ban was to run through peak tourist season and is set to expire at the end of October. I haven't heard anything about whether it has been extended.......or even much about how vigilantly it is enforced.

Here is a link to a story that gives some details:

http://www.newsday.com/travel/ny-trglb5782846aug03,0,4651706.story

Sounds to me like eating gelato on the Spanish steps is a no-no, but probably strolling around Trevi (as long as you are not hanging over a fountain) is probably fine.

I don't believe you were allowed previously to bring food into the Pantheon or Colosseum anyway. At least, that was the official stance.....

Cogitosum...Not to be disrespectful (and being from Philly) but this is Rome, some of the best food in the world. Save the Cheese steaks, pretzels & calories for when you get back. Enjoy the local food. Your not going to find Tony Lukes or Federal Pretzels in Rome.

Cogitosum...Not to be disrespectful (and being from Philly) but this is Rome, some of the best food in the world. Save the Cheese steaks, pretzels & calories for when you get back. Enjoy the local food. Your not going to find Tony Lukes or Federal Pretzels in Rome.

If I'm reading this right, he was asking for good Italian "street food" in Rome-not pretzels etc but good LOCAL food.

I think Cogitosum was asking for the Roman EQUIVALANTS of those foods, not how to find those particular items in Rome!

Cogitosum, the street foods that come to mind are: pizza, gelato, and pannini.

Pizza in Rome is generally of the thin-crust variety. In take-away places, you are charged by weight. "Pizza al taglio" is the phrase for take-away slices. Slices are big but tend to have fewer toppings than we Americans are used to.

Some popular varieties include: margherita (tomato, cheese, fresh basil); pizza bianca (white pizza); funghi (mushrooms) and with various herbs such as oregano, rosemary, etc and whatever vegetables are in season. Meat is less common although you may find some with a slice of prosciutto or salami on top.

Do not ask for pepperoni -- in Italian that will get you a pizza with hot peppers. The closest equivalent to what Americans know as pepperoni is called salame picante.

Archived