Food on NCL

cruisemama5

My Parents just got off the Dawn a week or so ago. They had been on the same ship in February and had nothing but good things to say about the food this time. They thought it had been very much improved. They are veteran cruisers who mostly sail on RCL, but were impressed with NCL this time around. :)

We just returned from the Dawn, and we thought the food was good to very good. Le Bistro does have the chocolate fondue for two, and it was great. We enjoyed every meal, and found the service in Aqua to be exceptional. We had the same server every night, we asked for her, and we never had to wait for a table, but we did eat early.

It's just ok.

food is subjective at best, but I would like to know when was the last time you cruised NCL? I am not picking your opinion apart, I am just curious as most of my clients lately, have been very satisfied with the food.

I have always thought it was good to very good, but of course there are things that were very bad..anyone remember the old Lamb Kabobs about 4 years ago?

Nita

We went two years ago and a lot of people were complaining about the food. We went with an open mind and are not picky people. We just have enjoyed the food on other lines better. But we had heard the food was changing when we were actually on the ship. It just had not gotten to that ship yet. We will not determine whether or not we go on the cruise just because of the food, we are just wondering about how it is now. Is there a place to see menus?

Food - such a sticky subject. Lots of folks complain about the food. We like it, but then we eat in Cagney's for breakfast and lunch. Dinner we mix it up. I've really never been disappointed with the food. If I don't like something I send it back and get something else. If I like two things (like surf and turf) then I order two things.

I order a large glass of ice, and make my own iced coffee. Waiters are very nice and will do just about anything for you.

I give NCL food a thumbs up.

We were on the Dawn last year and thought the food was good.. We were on the Spirit this weekend and ate at Windows.. We did not care for it all and there were 6 of us.. We ended up at the buffet later on...which I thought was much better..;) :)

We've sailed on the Dawn and Spirit about 5 times over the past three years and have consistently found the food not just good but excellent. The menus have been interesting and varied and of quite high quality. The typical problem has been too many things on the menu we want, not too little. In the same span we sailed on Celebrity and had some of the most over rated and under delivered food quality. For a line that is so renowned for their food we were extremely disappointed. The menus felt like they had been developed 20 years ago and never updated. NCL seems to embrace the "New American" style with great success. As another poster said, food is extremely subjective but we've been amazed at the consistent high quality. Looking forward to the 2.0 menus on our next trip on the Jewel next week.

First let me say that we love NCL. Now with that said, we have found the food on other cruise lines to be a tiny bit better. For instance on Carnival the food was excellent in the main dining room. On RCCL they had the best breads I have ever had anywhere.. And on NCL they consistantly had the best desserts bar none.

With that said, the food on NCL was very good. I don't want you to think from what I said above that it wasn't. I have read some really horrible reviews of the food on NCL and do not understand what these people expected. Expecially the ones who said they almost starved to death for the week. If you can't find something you enjoy eating on an NCL ship with all the choices they have available, then that person is just too picky.

Oh boy, you have asked a loaded question.

We have done a half dozen NCL cruises in past two years, and will probably take a few more. Food does not seem to be at the level that cruise ships were once at, but we still sail them.

With all these responses, keep in mind that a certain percentage will HATE the food - maybe 5%? Another group will say it is poor - maybe another 10%?

Some more will chip in with an okay to average rating - maybe 45%. Then add in the good ratings of another 30% and then a group of very good at 10%.

Are these REAL numbers - nope. Are they possible? Sure could be. And, each of these groups feel they are CORRECT.

Now the real question for you - which group will you be in?

We just got off the Star Saturday. We found the food in the dining rooms good. We went to Cagney's one night ($20 cover charge extra) and the food was excellent. Service in the dining rooms was mostly really good except one day. Buffet was horrible. We could not find a seat the first morning and noticed that everytime someone got up from one of the shared table the servers would grab the dishes but never once saw a table washed. We did go to the buffet a couple more times but never saw a table washed. Anyway, the food is good in the dining rooms and we probably gained 10 pounds each. Have cruised Carnival and Princess and feel their food is better.

Archived