Strange Question about Death

Hamburg Avon Lady

If a couple booked a cruise (double occupancy) and one of the spouses dies prior to the cruise - can the surviving person still take the cruise and occupy the cabin they originally booked?? I suppose the cruise line needs to be notified - would they adjust the prices the couple

paid orginally or demand that the surviving spouse move to another cabin

and be charged a single suplement?? ( In essence, that would be less money than the couple paid for a double occupancy). I know, I am weird !! but we have major health issues in this family and I have never

seen that question addressed. :o

I would call the cruise line (probably a couple of different times to make sure that you get the same answer) for this question. I hope that this only turns out to be a hypothetical question and that they get to enjoy the cruise together.

Karysa

Um, if my spouse died before we could leave on our cruise, I really don't think the first, ok, the second thing, that I would be concerned about was if the cruise line was going to charge me the single's supplement instead of the couple cost. Maybe, I would be more concerned about the fact that my hubby had died instead of the cost of a cruise.

But then, that's just me!

If for any reason someone in a cabin can't go, call and cancel them from the reservation. They do not make you move rooms but yes, you will have to pay a single supplement. Usually the singles supplement is the same as having 2 people in the room (200% of one passengers fare), but occasionally the single supplement is only 150% or 175%. And on some lines they will refund you the second set of taxes and fees.

I know of someone's inlaws the husband died on the cruise, but they had Carnival insurance and paid for everything.

Im sure if someone died before the cruise it would be no different than if someone didnt show up, you cruise in the cabin alone assuming you paid for both people.

Hamburg Avon Lady

If a couple booked a cruise (double occupancy) and one of the spouses dies prior to the cruise - can the surviving person still take the cruise and occupy the cabin they originally booked??

Yes, but the fare would be adjusted as single. Double the price.

I suppose the cruise line needs to be notified -

Yes! You must notify your TA or cruise line before sailing.

If a couple booked a cruise (double occupancy) and one of the spouses dies prior to the cruise - can the surviving person still take the cruise and occupy the cabin they originally booked?? I suppose the cruise line needs to be notified - would they adjust the prices the couple

and be charged a single suplement?? ( In essence, that would be less money than the couple paid for a double occupancy). I know, I am weird !! but we have major health issues in this family and I have never

Even more importantly, Go Bills!! :D

Hi Caryla: Wasn't the game fantastic !!! Gosh, I hate to put a damper on the last 3 WINS - but I hope this doesn't go to their heads - sure would be great

to have a winning season for a change. !!!!!!! keep our fingers and toes crossed and with hard work and some luck - will be in

the Super Bowl while I'm on a fantastic cruise to South America !!!!

For the others who posted - of course, the loss of one's spouse or significant other is devastating - however, for some - travel would be a much-needed

respite and reflection period.

You hypothetical needs to be addressed for each cruise line. You may get different answers. I know in my brother's case, with HAL, his wife decided at the last moment not to go because she was expecting her first grandchild. She did not want to miss the possible birth so on her own decided not to go.

My brother showed up along (we were going too). When he checked in he just told them last minute cancellation.... wife was not going.... and it was no problem. Her fare was of course not refundable not covered by insurance... so they just ate it. But he was not asked to move, nor charged anything extra.

Um, if my spouse died before we could leave on our cruise, I really don't think the first, ok, the second thing, that I would be concerned about was if the cruise line was going to charge me the single's supplement instead of the couple cost. Maybe, I would be more concerned about the fact that my hubby had died instead of the cost of a cruise.

I don't believe the question asked what you would be concerned with!

Hamburg Avon Lady, Thanks for asking the question. I'm sure it's one that many of us wonder about. Especially since many cruises are booked so far ahead.

I have been told NOT to cancel the other person in the cabin. You are essentially CHANGING the booking to single supplement (which MAY save some money). BUT since you are changing the booking, you may also loose your cabin and be rebooked into something else.

DH THINKS he wants to go on a cruise (booked more than a year in advance). Then at the last minute, he bails. Twice he has done it to me. I was SPECIFICALLY told NOT to cancel his booking or I could find myself in another cabin (QE2-Jan 2007). I was told to just say he had to cancel at the last minute and there would be no problems at check in. There were no problems with X-I just had the cabin to myself (January 2004-SA). And I had a severe allergic reaction to macadamia nuts on the flight, so I missed the QE2 cruise as well.

Another option besides cruising alone would be to take someone else, say a child or grandchild or sibling along. Substituting one pax often happens for one reason or another.

HamburgAvonLady, a lot depends on when this happening occurred. If it was after final payment, the surviving passenger just goes on the cruise as a single and submits the cost of the fare to insurance for reimbursement for the passenger who passed---hopefully insurance was purchased. It's the same thing if no insurance was purchased, with the difference being the surviving spouse would not get a refund.

If this happened before final payment, the surviving spouse has a choice---either changing nothing and paying both fares or canceling the booking and re-booking as a single, with the appropriate single supplement being paid. With this, you could get off a little cheaper as you don't pay both port tax fees and you might get a tiny reduction if the single supplement is less than 200%

Each of us handles grief in our own way. :)

Tee

My SIL died about a month before our cruise. My brother went anyway. Why? For lots of reasons, one of which was she told him to go. She knew she was dying and had just found cruising a couple of years before. She went on as many as she could and would have been p*ssed at him if he had not gone on the one that was booked. Having said that, even if my DH of 35 years died and I had booked a family cruise, we would still go. Staying at home won't bring him back, now will it?

I have been told NOT to cancel the other person in the cabin. You are essentially CHANGING the booking to single supplement (which MAY save some money). BUT since you are changing the booking, you may also loose your cabin and be rebooked into something else.

DH THINKS he wants to go on a cruise (booked more than a year in advance). Then at the last minute, he bails. Twice he has done it to me. I was SPECIFICALLY told NOT to cancel his booking or I could find myself in another cabin (QE2-Jan 2007). I was told to just say he had to cancel at the last minute and there would be no problems at check in. There were no problems with X-I just had the cabin to myself (January 2004-SA). And I had a severe allergic reaction to macadamia nuts on the flight, so I missed the QE2 cruise as well.

It's one thing to bail out because you don't want to go and another thing to die or become ill. Ins canx policies are quite explicit when it comes to reasons acceptable for canx a cruise and simply not wanting to go isn't one of them.

Barry

It's one thing to bail out because you don't want to go and another thing to die or become ill. Ins canx policies are quite explicit when it comes to reasons acceptable for canx a cruise and simply not wanting to go isn't one of them.

Barry

I was addressing the issue of notifying the cruiseline. You are CHANGING the reservation from double occupancy to single occupancy if you notify the cruiseline. You MAY be rebooked in another cabin (depends on the waiting list for the cruise). Has nothing to do with insurance.

- of course, the loss of one's spouse or significant other is devastating - however, for some - travel would be a much-needed

respite and reflection period.

I agree, I may would feel that I needed the cruise more than ever. Most people that I have known that have gone through such a situation will usually go away as soon as they can-just to have a break from the grief and besides all the other stuff such as the red tape you must go through in contacting differant agencies in order to inform them that your spouse is decesed.

If this were to happen to me, I would HOPE my hubby would still take some time to enjoy himself and get over his grief. I certainly would not begrudge him a cruise.

HamburgAvonLady, a lot depends on when this happening occurred. If it was after final payment, the surviving passenger just goes on the cruise as a single and submits the cost of the fare to insurance for reimbursement for the passenger who passed---hopefully insurance was purchased. It's the same thing if no insurance was purchased, with the difference being the surviving spouse would not get a refund.

This is our situation now. Final payment has been made. DS and GF broke up yesterday and I questioned our TA about DS occupying the stateroom by himself. We are not asking for any refund and we know insurance will not cover this. He paid both fares. TA said when he checks in they will cancel GF and keep that fare as a penalty. Then DS would have to pay the single supplement - essentially paying 3 fares? This is so unfair. Still checking on others experiences as our TA has been wrong before.

This is our situation now. Final payment has been made. DS and GF broke up yesterday and I questioned our TA about DS occupying the stateroom by himself. We are not asking for any refund and we know insurance will not cover this. He paid both fares. TA said when he checks in they will cancel GF and keep that fare as a penalty. Then DS would have to pay the single supplement - essentially paying 3 fares? This is so unfair. Still checking on others experiences as our TA has been wrong before.

No the 2nd fare that they are keeping would BE the single supplement.

No the 2nd fare that they are keeping would BE the single supplement.

According to TA we will lose the 2nd fare to penalties and they will then charge a 3rd fare. So the inside stateroom for 2 was $1800.00. Now the inside stateroom with just my son cost us $2700.00.