Galveston Port Repair

dprg644

Can anybody who is familiar with both the port of Galveston and of Houston tell me what made Galveston a more attractive port of embarkation than Houston? (obviously pre-hurricane Ike).

Just curious

The first cruise line to sail from either Galveston or Houston was NCL. They began sailing a seven day itinerary from the Port of Houston's Barbours Cut facility in the mid 1990's. The Barbours Cut facility is located at the north end of Galveston bay at the mouth of the Houston ship channel. It is a working container facility. The cruise facility had one berth and could not accomodate the largest ships then being built. The area around the facility is industrial and makes the Strand area in Galveston look like a paradise by comparison.

Carnival began sailing the Celebration from Galveston a year or so later. Galveston is an hour sailing time closer to open sea than Barbours Cut. The one berth was probably an issue also as Carnival quickly moved a second ship the Jubilee, into the market and would have faced conflicts with NCL if all three ships were trying to sail from Houston.

RCI entered the market shortly after Carnival also chosing Galveston over Barbours Cut. RCI also sailed two ships, Rhapsody of the Seas and Splendour of the Seas from Galveston.

The powers that be in Harris County Texas began scratching their respective heads and thinking this cruise business is a real money-maker so they got through a bond issue to build a new container port in Bayport with a cruise terminal tossed in for good measure. In their infinate wisdom they figured "we don't need a cruise line partner in this. When it's finished the lines will be clamouring to come."

In the intervening years the Dollar lost half its value to the Euro and the ships sailing from hear packed up and went to Europe (or Asia in the case of RCI's Rhapsody) where they were more profitable. "If you build it they will come!" Well it took a devestating hurricane but they have finally come, two ships for a few weeks before they can return to Galveston.

Some day ships will sail from Bayport. NCL is the most likely candidate as they are largely shut out of Galveston by Carnival and RCI. Eventually our egg-faced polititions will feel compelled to offer NCL a deal they can't refuse. In the longer term it may prove to be a good deal for our community and the cruise industry to have Bayport. For now it is just wait and see.

People need to remember that the Port of Galveston is not only a cruise ship port. It's a port for ships that carry goods too. Just because the Port itself is will be open is no reason to think the cruises from there will be up and running. It's going to be awhile.

It is Galveston officials who are claiming the cruise terminal will be ready for Carnival ships to return on October 1st. Unless they are lying any delay in Carnival's return after that date will be due to a corporate decision by Carnival.

My heart hurts for Galveston and its people.

However, the practice side of me is all business.

I keep trying to decide what to do about a hotel on January 10. I have one reservation - at the Galveston Holiday Inn. I guess I need to make one for a Houston hotel, too. Need to research which one, I guess.

There are a couple of hotels in La Marque which is much closer to Galveston than Houston. They are close to the Gulf Greyhound dog track. I don't know what if any damage they had but it would be worth a look on the internet to get a number and call them.

It is Galveston officials who are claiming the cruise terminal will be ready for Carnival ships to return on October 1st. Unless they are lying any delay in Carnival's return after that date will be due to a corporate decision by Carnival.

All I've seen are reports that the Port of Galveston would be open by 10/1. It's nice to know the terminal will be ready, but that still does not mean that the island will be ready to have 6,000 people on it at once. 3,000 getting on and 3,000 getting off......what a mess that would be right now!!:eek:

I live in La Porte so I can just about walk to the the terminal here. I have talked with the lady in charge of bringing a ship into the terminal and either MSC and Costa, I think is what she said, is the line most interested as of about 3 months ago. She is working to bring at least on cruise line in and she is in agreement also that building a terminal with no cruise line commited was not the wisest thing to do, but anyone that knows anything about the Port Authority for the Port of Houston knows that their is not an over abundance of brilliance there.

The first cruise line to sail from either Galveston or Houston was NCL. They began sailing a seven day itinerary from the Port of Houston's Barbours Cut facility in the mid 1990's. The Barbours Cut facility is located at the north end of Galveston bay at the mouth of the Houston ship channel. It is a working container facility. The cruise facility had one berth and could not accomodate the largest ships then being built. The area around the facility is industrial and makes the Strand area in Galveston look like a paradise by comparison.

Carnival began sailing the Celebration from Galveston a year or so later. Galveston is an hour sailing time closer to open sea than Barbours Cut. The one berth was probably an issue also as Carnival quickly moved a second ship the Jubilee, into the market and would have faced conflicts with NCL if all three ships were trying to sail from Houston.

RCI entered the market shortly after Carnival also chosing Galveston over Barbours Cut. RCI also sailed two ships, Rhapsody of the Seas and Splendour of the Seas from Galveston.

The powers that be in Harris County Texas began scratching their respective heads and thinking this cruise business is a real money-maker so they got through a bond issue to build a new container port in Bayport with a cruise terminal tossed in for good measure. In their infinate wisdom they figured "we don't need a cruise line partner in this. When it's finished the lines will be clamouring to come."

In the intervening years the Dollar lost half its value to the Euro and the ships sailing from hear packed up and went to Europe (or Asia in the case of RCI's Rhapsody) where they were more profitable. "If you build it they will come!" Well it took a devestating hurricane but they have finally come, two ships for a few weeks before they can return to Galveston.

Some day ships will sail from Bayport. NCL is the most likely candidate as they are largely shut out of Galveston by Carnival and RCI. Eventually our egg-faced polititions will feel compelled to offer NCL a deal they can't refuse. In the longer term it may prove to be a good deal for our community and the cruise industry to have Bayport. For now it is just wait and see.

All I've seen are reports that the Port of Galveston would be open by 10/1. It's nice to know the terminal will be ready, but that still does not mean that the island will be ready to have 6,000 people on it at once. 3,000 getting on and 3,000 getting off......what a mess that would be right now!!:eek:

You can read what the port is saying here. They released this statement yesterday.

http://www.portofgalveston.com/news/newsreleases/9-22-2008-Hurricane-Ike.pdf

I live in La Porte so I can just about walk to the the terminal here. I have talked with the lady in charge of bringing a ship into the terminal and either MSC and Costa, I think is what she said, is the line most interested as of about 3 months ago. She is working to bring at least on cruise line in and she is in agreement also that building a terminal with no cruise line commited was not the wisest thing to do, but anyone that knows anything about the Port Authority for the Port of Houston knows that their is not an over abundance of brilliance there.

If you are talking about Kay Adams, I have heard her comments also. She has been claiming a deal was imminent since she came onboard. I'll believe there is substance to what she says when she inks a deal. I won't be holding my breath. I do not put any stock in an MSC ship sailing from Bayport. I think this bone is tossed out because MSC's main business is as a container ship operator and is a major client at the container facility. I have never heard a whiff from anyone at MSC cruises that they had any interest in sailing from the upper gulf coast.

You can read what the port is saying here. They released this statement yesterday.

http://www.portofgalveston.com/news/newsreleases/9-22-2008-Hurricane-Ike.pdf

That made little to no sense. In one paragraph they say early December the cruise terminals will be ready and then the next paragraph says beginning of October they will be ready for cruise ships. Don't you sort of need both to make it work!? Sounds like they are still clapping with one hand to me!!:rolleyes:

The first cruise line to sail from either Galveston or Houston was NCL. They began sailing a seven day itinerary from the Port of Houston's Barbours Cut facility in the mid 1990's. The Barbours Cut facility is located at the north end of Galveston bay at the mouth of the Houston ship channel. It is a working container facility. The cruise facility had one berth and could not accomodate the largest ships then being built. The area around the facility is industrial and makes the Strand area in Galveston look like a paradise by comparison..

Thanks for the quick explanation. I appreciate it.

I have never sailed from Houston/Galveston and my visits to Houston have been quick layovers at the IAH airport. But it just seems that this new facility in Bayport is state of the art and much more convenient to passengers who fly in. I wonder if Carnival (or RCI, NCL etc) will reconsider and homeport in Bayport.

When the Conquest "temporarily repositioned" to Gavleston from New Orleans, this ship never went back. The Elation was "permanently repositioned" to Port Canaveral and next thing you know, it's San Diego who has a new permanent ship.

I know that Katrina and Ike caused different levels of destruction, but the point that I'm trying to make is that it's not the first time that Carnival makes a temporary announcement and then it's changed to permanent...

Tapi, we enjoyed a boom in cruises from the Houston/Galveston area in the early years of this decade. We had NCL sailing from Houston, and Carnival with two ships, RCI with 2 ships, Celebrity and Princess each with one ship sailing from Galveston for a few years. At that time the Dollar was worth more than the Euro. As the years have passed the Dollar has slumped and the ships have left.

Carnival has a significant investment in its facilities in Galveston. I do not see the line walking away from that investment without a sweet...sweet...deal from Bayport. RCI has money tied up un Galveston also but not nearly as much, they might jump before Carnival. As far as the other brands owned by Carnival, who can say. The Grand Princess used Carnival's Galveston facilities for a few years but the lines do seem to operate independently. I just don't see any line being in a hurry to sign a deal with Bayport given the current exchange rate. If the Dollar can continue the strength it has shown in the last few weeks this may change.

That made little to no sense. In one paragraph they say early December the cruise terminals will be ready and then the next paragraph says beginning of October they will be ready for cruise ships. Don't you sort of need both to make it work!? Sounds like they are still clapping with one hand to me!!:rolleyes:

Galveston has two cruise ship terminals, pier one and pier two. Carnival sails from pier one, that is the one that will open in October according to port officials.

Pier two does not have a ship scheduled to use its facilities until mid December when RCI's Voyager of the Seas is scheduled to return for its winter sailings. I do not know if pier two was more severly damaged than pier one but it doesn't need to be ready before December.

Archived