Galveston Port Repair

dprg644

Here is an excert from the Galveston Newspaper today;

Gerald Sullivan, chairman of the governing board of the port, will ask the government for disaster relief funds. Sullivan said he plans to ask for $500 million to repair the port.

Sounds like there is more damage done or some type of upgrades maybe?

Here is an excert from the Galveston Newspaper today;

Gerald Sullivan, chairman of the governing board of the port, will ask the government for disaster relief funds. Sullivan said he plans to ask for $500 million to repair the port.

Sounds like there is more damage done or some type of upgrades maybe?

There is more to the port of Galveston than just the cruise terminal.

Dave

The Port of Galveston re-opens tomorrow. Galveston officials have claimed repeatedly this week that the cruise terminal will be operational for Carnival ships on October 1'st. Whether Carnival will use their facilities on 10/1 is another matter to be determined.

If they are counting on getting money from FEMA, then they got a long wait. We are still waiting on money to rebuild prisons, fire stations, 911 center, court house, etc. from Hurricane Katrina's damage. The process of getting large sums of money for large projects will take at least 2 years, but most likely 3 to 4 years. They need to find the money somewhere else.:mad:

The Port of Galveston re-opens tomorrow. Galveston officials have claimed repeatedly this week that the cruise terminal will be operational for Carnival ships on October 1'st. Whether Carnival will use their facilities on 10/1 is another matter to be determined.

Which we all know will be impossible to do when restaurants, hotels, and general tourist areas are nowhere near ready to accept visitors, nor will they be by that time. That combined with cruisers around here reporting being directed to Bayport for January cruises...methinks Carnival won't be in Galveston for a while. :(

Which we all know will be impossible to do when restaurants, hotels, and general tourist areas are nowhere near ready to accept visitors, nor will they be by that time. That combined with cruisers around here reporting being directed to Bayport for January cruises...methinks Carnival won't be in Galveston for a while. :(

I have to agree. Some places of business will take a while to recover, to repair or build & get their employees back. Many have no homes to go to & will not be able to stay there & work with no place to live.

3 years later & many places in New Orleans still have not reopened or are still short staffed.

I have been told that Carnival intends to return but won't return until the passengers can expect normal services to be available... motels/hotels, cruise parking, restaurants, etc...

That's not going to happen by Oct. 1...

I do agree that a return of the Conquest and Ecstasy to Galveston on 10/1 seems unlikely to say the least, I do think Carnival will return much sooner than many on this board might think. frankly I do not believe "restaurants, hotels, and general tourist areas" will be a serious consideration for the Carnival bean counters. Unless Harris county is willing to offer Carnival a sweetheart deal, I can't see Carnival walking away from the millions of dollars the line has already invested in the Galveston terminal in order to rent berths at Bayport when the terminal the line already controls is operational.

I do agree that a return of the Conquest and Ecstasy to Galveston on 10/1 seems unlikely to say the least, I do think Carnival will return much sooner than many on this board might think. frankly I do not believe "restaurants, hotels, and general tourist areas" will be a serious consideration for the Carnival bean counters. Unless Harris county is willing to offer Carnival a sweetheart deal, I can't see Carnival walking away from the millions of dollars the line has already invested in the Galveston terminal in order to rent berths at Bayport when the terminal the line already controls is operational.

Carnival is committed to Galveston and I believe that it's the best thing they can do, however, the homeport is also part of the experience, not just a bus stop.

When Glaveston comes back Carnival will come back...

Carnival is committed to Galveston and I believe that it's the best thing they can do, however, the homeport is also part of the experience, not just a bus stop.

When Glaveston comes back Carnival will come back...

Carnival is committed to Galveston and the proof is in the money the line has invested. Carnival statements about when the line will return need to be taken with a grain of salt. The same is true for statements by Galveston officials.

TxDot reported last Tuesday that the causeway suffered no structural damage from the storm. The bridge was open to island residents during the "look and leave" process last week and is scheduled to be open to the public along with the eastern end of the island on Wednesday.

I am sure that the terminal will be ready by then, BUT who wants to stay overnight in Houston before the cruise and go down the next morning, and where are you going to park your cars, and grab a snack on the way out. The port and terminal ready. . .sure, the rest of the island . . . no way.

There were concerns about structual damage to the causeway. (buckles)

Any more reports on that?

Yarbrough: Causeway OK after initial assessment

By Chris Paschenko

The Daily News

Published September 15, 2008

LEAGUE CITY — Galveston County Judge Jim Yarbrough briefed reporters Monday on the state of the county post Hurricane Ike.

The broad range of topics discussed included the causeway’s structural integrity, re-entry to cities, restoring power to the medical branch, reopening county offices and establishing new polling places to replace ones destroyed by the storm.

Yarbrough said an initial assessment revealed the storm caused no damage to the newly built causeway connecting Galveston to the mainland.

“We had people from the local Texas Department of Transportation here today, and although their initial observations of all the highways isn’t finished yet, they are not aware of any structural problems,” Yarbrough said.

It was initially believed that vessels battered about by the storm’s strong water surge could have damaged the 2-mile long bridge.

Yarbrough said officials weren’t using the south lanes of the causeway to allow debris removal crews, including the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, access to the inbound highway.

The debris field of boats, wood, mud and branches stretches south from Bayou Vista to Tiki Island, and concrete dividers prevent drivers from switching directions on Interstate 45 between Bayou Vista and the causeway.

The bridge spanning the San Luis Pass is in good shape, Yarbrough said.

Returning Electricity To UTMB, County

Yarbrough said he spoke with CenterPoint Energy to ascertain the status of restoring electricity to the University of Texas Medical Branch and county offices.

“There is good news here,” Yarbrough said. “The two circuits over the causeway and the substations that feed UTMB and the government buildings did not flood,” Yarbrough said. “We could have service and public facilities at the Justice Center by Friday or Saturday. We wish it could be sooner, but people must be patient. There’s a lot of work to do.”

The county plans to open its offices Wednesday instead of Tuesday, Yarbrough said.

Election Coming

Yarbrough said it could be necessary to move some courts and election sites to the mainland.

“We’ve got voting sites destroyed, four for sure on Bolivar (Peninsula),” Yarbrough said. “And if we had the (Nov. 4) election today, we might not be able to use the one in Bayou Vista.”

The county would have to seek early approval from the U.S. Department of Justice to move the sites, Yarbrough said, which might be just a formality, considering the circumstances.

Curfew Extended To Friday

Yarbrough said the county extended its 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. curfew until Friday.

Anyone on the streets during those times could be subject to a fine.

Although some cities have curfews in effect, the county curfew applies to Jamaica Beach, Bayou Vista, Hitchcock and Tiki Island.

Re-entry

Yarbrough said Tiki Island Mayor Charlie Everts is allowing residents to return to their homes on a daily basis starting Monday to check their homes and assets. The residents would be encouraged to leave after that, he said.

Yarbrough said access to Tiki Island would be denied during curfew hours.

Bayou Vista residents could be allowed to return to their homes Tuesday, he said after speaking with Mayor Ed Flanagan.

Dickinson re-entry

The city of Dickinson is discouraging its residents from returning.

Dickinson police detective Craig Fos said Monday the city is requesting evacuees not to return until the city gives the all clear.

“The city does not have utilities at most residences and, as of Monday morning, there were no hospitals accepting transports,” Fos said. “For your own safety, please remain where you are until you have confirmed with the city that it is advisable to return.”

Those wanting to return should have sufficient food and water to sustain family members for at least two weeks, Fos said.

Dickinson also has a zero-tolerance, dusk-to-dawn curfew, Fos said.

The American Red Cross handed out meals ready to eat Monday at noon at the Amegy Bank at FM 517 and Termini Street. It was unclear if the American Red Cross would return Tuesday.

Residential trash pickup will run on schedule Tuesday and Friday. There will be no recycling until further notice. Commercial trash pickup will be limited.

Dickinson schools are closed until further notice.

For more information, Fos said call the police department’s non-emergency telephone number at 281-337-4700 and request the Emergency Operations Center.

Friendswood re-entry Friendswood officials cite the scarcity of food, fuel and the absence of electricity as a reason to recommend residents wait a week to return home.

The city’s sewer facilities are not operating at full capacity, and backups could occur until power is restored to lift stations, officials said.

The water supply, however, is safe, and there was no widespread flooding.

A curfew remains in effect until the city can provide safe and effective services.

Friendswood and Clear Creek schools are closed until further notice.

IESI residential garbage pickup resumed Monday. Household trash should be bagged and separated from debris.

San Leon, Bacliff Search And Rescue

Yarbrough said the county could finish searching San Leon and Bacliff Tuesday, looking for those in need of help after storm surge inundated parts of the Galveston Bay communities.

“Progress is being made,” Yarbrough said. “A second party will finish combing the areas and, if we have time, we’ll finish Freddiesville and the old unincorporated Bayou Vista area.”

League City Residents Boil Water

League City residents have water service, but the pressure is decreased, prompting officials to ask residents to boil their water for at least three minutes before drinking.

This is from the Carnival website...

We are closely monitoring the situation in Galveston and the impact from Hurricane Ike. We have now made plans to operate from the new cruise terminal in Houston (the Bayport Cruise Terminal) until the pier and cruise terminal in Galveston are available to us. This will be effective with the Carnival Ecstasy cruises starting on September 20, 2008 and the Carnival Conquest cruises starting on September 21, 2008.

Sounds like they are moving to Houston for the time being.

My heart hurts for Galveston and its people.

However, the practice side of me is all business.

I keep trying to decide what to do about a hotel on January 10. I have one reservation - at the Galveston Holiday Inn. I guess I need to make one for a Houston hotel, too. Need to research which one, I guess.

Carnival is under contract with the Port of Galveston. The Port of Galveston gave them permission to use the Port of Houston. Had Carnival made arrangements without the Port of Galveston's permission, they would have been in breach of contract and would have been liable for millions and millions of dollars. But, they will be back to Galveston as soon as the Port is ready for cruise traffic and passengers. Remember, not just the terminal was damaged. Parking, waterways, hotels, restaurants, roads, etc. The Island has to be able to accommodate the 6,000+ cruise people on a weekly basis. There is a lot of work to be done.

My heart hurts for Galveston and its people.

However, the practice side of me is all business.

I keep trying to decide what to do about a hotel on January 10. I have one reservation - at the Galveston Holiday Inn. I guess I need to make one for a Houston hotel, too. Need to research which one, I guess.

You will be fine by December. Carnival plans to return to Galveston the second week of November.

Folks on Voyager which isnt back until mid Dec are wondering the same thing. No answers, but I did finally speak with Cindy at EZCruise today and she said her shuttle had water up to the middle of the steering wheel and the seats floating out, so cars were covered but not like at the port where some are piled on top of each other.

Allstate unfortunately isnt one who is out there adjusting the vehicles like the other insurance companies mentioned. Something for folks with Allstate to ponder. Been on the phone all morning and they cant even tell me if my car was covered if for sure it will be totalled out, no one can reach the department by phone who does the adjusting, no even my agent, so I know if I should be looking for a new car.

Folks on Voyager which isnt back until mid Dec are wondering the same thing. No answers, but I did finally speak with Cindy at EZCruise today and she said her shuttle had water up to the middle of the steering wheel and the seats floating out, so cars were covered but not like at the port where some are piled on top of each other.

Allstate unfortunately isnt one who is out there adjusting the vehicles like the other insurance companies mentioned. Something for folks with Allstate to ponder. Been on the phone all morning and they cant even tell me if my car was covered if for sure it will be totalled out, no one can reach the department by phone who does the adjusting, no even my agent, so I know if I should be looking for a new car.

Geico's strategy for their policyholders whose vehicles were flooded by Ike is to tow the cars off the island to a central processing location where the adjusters will go over them. Certainly seems more efficient than trying to overrun the island with a bunch of adjusters.

My brother has been back on the island and has seen his car. He would just as soon let the insurance company handle everything then try to get his car off the island in its current condition, or have to meet an adjuster there. All he had to do is drop off his keys and Geico will arrange for the tow and call him once the adjuster has decided if they will repair or total the car. In the interim they've provided him with a rental car.

I'm sorry Allstate is being difficult. We have not heard good things about their insurance...

What originally got Carnival so much more committed to Galveston over Houston? Quicker access to the sea for getting in and out of port maybe? Because it's a pretty decent hike for the passengers to get there if you fly into Houston.

Maybe Galveston just gave them a cheaper deal which led Carnival to invest there rather than Houston, but in retrospect that may have been penny wise and pound foolish is there was a lot of damage to their Galveston facilities.

I suspect POG is rushing their repairs to completion in order to force Carnival to keep paying rent for the terminal under their contract, whether they actually sail from there or not.

Can anybody who is familiar with both the port of Galveston and of Houston tell me what made Galveston a more attractive port of embarkation than Houston? (obviously pre-hurricane Ike).

Just curious

Archived