"Adults Only" Cruises

dmk

Before we started cruising, we used to go to A1's for "Adults Only" vacations. Now, we usually try and take longer than 7 week cruises, at times when there are no school vacations.

Our family is grown up now. When they were young they always accompanied us on vacations which we enjoyed thoroughly. Now I prefer my vacations in a more "adult venue".

What do you think of having some cruises for adults over 18 only? I think X did at one time. Are there any cruiselines that offer this?

You know I think this is a tough one and here's why...

I am at a point when I vacation that I prefer an age restricted environment too, but having said that, if we say restricted to no one under 18 that leaves the gap between the 18 and say 20 year olds that may still a problematic age group because of some of their shenanigans.

I think the same as others, cruise line, time of year, and length of cruise makes a huge difference, and this issue probably less of a concern at this point in time simply as a result of the economics of the times we are in. I suspect many will opt out of the family cruise vacation and stay closer to home.

we usually try and take longer than 7 week cruises, at times when there are no school vacations.
I think that most cruises over 7 weeks [that's 50+ days] would have very few children whether it is during school vactions or not.:rolleyes: I will say though that when some years ago we caught the last leg of a QE2 Around the World cruise there was a 13 year old going with her mother from Sydney to New York [via Cape of Good Hope]. The 13 year old knew a lot more about cruising than I did!

Before we started cruising, we used to go to A1's for "Adults Only" vacations. Now, we usually try and take longer than 7 week cruises, at times when there are no school vacations.

Our family is grown up now. When they were young they always accompanied us on vacations which we enjoyed thoroughly. Now I prefer my vacations in a more "adult venue".

What do you think of having some cruises for adults over 18 only? I think X did at one time. Are there any cruiselines that offer this?

I'd be all for it. I love kids, but not on my vacations.

What I would REALLY love is an occasional option of airplane flights that were adult only. Now that would be nice.

I'd be all for it. I love kids, but not on my vacations.

What I would REALLY love is an occasional option of airplane flights that were adult only. Now that would be nice.

Now that's just too much to wish for. A ship and a plane with no kids. :D

I have a feeling someone (or more) will react to this post by listing out all the horrors they've seen kids do, but do we really have that much of a problem with kids on these cruises, or 18yr olds and their 'shenanigans'?? We've cruised 11+ times, and 7 on Celebrity, and except for one instance on a Princess Cruise when a father brought his kids into the adults-only pool and they got into a pushing match while he sat and watched, I don't remember kids being an issue. That 'issue' was taken care of by the staff - and the issue was the father. Almost all of the kids are in the kids programs which are will supervised and look like a lot of fun, and when dining, I've never remember any of them acting up.

I do remember more than a FEW of us supposed adults sitting around getting drunk and acting like fools, being our obnoxious selves treating the staff poorly, and being our selfish selves hogging tables, pool chairs, saving seats in the theater and so on, but little if any issues with kids.

Between getting our shorts all knotted up over a threadbare rug, what other people wear on Formal Night, the horror of someone wearing jeans on casual night, or wearing a robe to the pool, I think we should all get a bit of a grip. There are cruises (mentioned above) that are Adults Only if a child is going to ruin your vacation. But in truth, we are 'kidding' ourselves if we think kids are the problem. Could it be our own inflexibility??

Denny

I have a feeling someone (or more) will react to this post by listing out all the horrors they've seen kids do, but do we really have that much of a problem with kids on these cruises, or 18yr olds and their 'shenanigans'?? We've cruised 11+ times, and 7 on Celebrity, and except for one instance on a Princess Cruise when a father brought his kids into the adults-only pool and they got into a pushing match while he sat and watched, I don't remember kids being an issue. That 'issue' was taken care of by the staff - and the issue was the father. Almost all of the kids are in the kids programs which are will supervised and look like a lot of fun, and when dining, I've never remember any of them acting up.

I do remember more than a FEW of us supposed adults sitting around getting drunk and acting like fools, being our obnoxious selves treating the staff poorly, and being our selfish selves hogging tables, pool chairs, saving seats in the theater and so on, but little if any issues with kids.

Between getting our shorts all knotted up over a threadbare rug, what other people wear on Formal Night, the horror of someone wearing jeans on casual night, or wearing a robe to the pool, I think we should all get a bit of a grip. There are cruises (mentioned above) that are Adults Only if a child is going to ruin your vacation. But in truth, we are 'kidding' ourselves if we think kids are the problem. Could it be our own inflexibility??

Denny

No one is listing all the horrors that they have seen children do. Actually, you are the only one to broach that subject by mentioning it.

I just like the idea of having some cruises with an Adult Only atmosphere. You mention "inflexibility". I don't think it's inflexible to seek cruises that might cater to Adults. What I'd like to see is cruise lines with more flexibility and opt for some Adult Only cruises.

The OP is right- my post reads a bit edgy, and as usual when read from a different perspective, may come across rude. Just like those that I complain about.

Sorry, Denny

No problem, Denny. I just didn't want this to turn into a kids bashing post.

Those without kids have enormous travel flexibility that families don't. Most family cruisers adhere to school vacation schedules. They also favor larger ships. Singles or couples without kids have the 'luxury' of those awesome price periods just prior and after school breaks. Take a longer cruise during those periods and you're going to have to look around for the children.

My first 'modern era' cruise was a transcanal reposition in '01 on Ocean Princess (a large ship at the time, now medium at 77KGT). The sailing was out of San Juan during the last week of April ending in California like 16-18 days later then continuing to Alaska. I was with a large family group with 5 kids. The kids club had 17 kids signed up (4-5 were mine) and there were reportedly only 30-35 minors onboard. The Kids Club staff were expecting even fewer during their first couple of weeks in Alaska.

Despite increased popularity of cruising, I don't think the foregoing was an anomoly (crew seemed to consider it 'typical'). In the present economy too, I think families are more crimped than travelors without kids so... select your cruises accordingly and enjoy.

I pay for adult only inclusive land vacations and yes I would sign up for an adult only cruise;)

Archived