Tealength Gowns 12 Y.O.

Arubalisa

Looking for some advice. We just found out that my grandmother is taking us on a cruise for Christmas.

My dd's long gowns from 2 years are going to be 6+ inches too short, maybe more. Most of her "growth" has come in the usual pre-teen places for a female but mostly, just her legs have gotten longer. Her gowns are all sleevless or short sleeved and she has always had short arms so not an issue either.

So...if all else fits, would a long gown now that is just too short, look just that? :eek: Or will it look tealength? :)

Trying to save some $$$ for excursions which we are on our own for. :o

First have her try the dress on with the shoes she is going to wear (or something similar if you still have to shop for a new pair!). Now, depending on the style of the dress you may be leave it as is or shorten it some more (try first with a few pins). Slightly more "grown up" hairstyle or accessories may be in order, too!

My first thought when reading was--depending on the style of the dress--that shorter (knee length or just below) might look better than tea length. I think you just have to look at the dress on your daughter and see what you think.

Or--take pictures and put them up here for our opinions:p (pinning the hem is a great way to get an idea without making a permanent change)

Or--take pictures and put them up here for our opinions:p (pinning the hem is a great way to get an idea without making a permanent change)

Gosh! Would you believe I thought of that AFTER dd had finished trying on the dresses last night! <<smacking my head>>

The final verdict was that 2 dresses were tight in the bust. :rolleyes:

Two fit perfectly and the floor length (New Year's Eve) is now a flood :( and as is, not short enough for tea length.

There is a tulle overlay with tulle ruffle at the hem so the only thing I can think of is to see if the seamstress can hem it from the waist. There is a waist band, but not knowing anything about sewing, do not even know if it is doable. I am attaching a photo of the dress when it was still floor length for anyone who knows anything about sewing. Obviously I know zero. :(

So now, next question, for:

3 nights Informal: Jacket and tie for men. Cocktail dress, dressy trouser suit or similar for women. No jeans.

7 nights Elegant Casual: Slacks, shirt and a jacket for men. Skirt or slacks with a blouse for women. No jeans.

5 nights Formal: Tuxedo (or formal dark suit) for men. Evening gown or other formal attire for women.

...are dresses similar to 0900631b8150937bM.tif?op_usm=1.5,.8,0,0&resmode=sharp&hei=250&wid=250&icc=A98and 0900631b814ecce3M.tif?op_usm=1.5,.8,0,0&resmode=sharp&hei=250&wid=250&icc=A98

going to be appropriate for our "informal (Cocktail dress)" nights?

Thank you again for all your help.

Hi Suzanne! Good to see you!

c-dress.jpg.1cff2227153e60cb2c8df8cd27d6ac29.jpg

I don't sew but have definitely heard of seamstresses deconstructing a dress to take up from the waist. Might not be cost-effective though--better to sell or donate that dress and buy something new (or used, lots of affordable options)

The dresses you posted--is that a microfiber? I would think it should be fine for informal night (similar though different ;) to what I wore on HAL when they had informal night) I certainly wouldn't feel a need to buy new clothes for informal night if you can work with things you already have in your closet. (are those for you or your daughter?)

:) Yes, the dresses are microfiber and for my dd. She has about 6 of them so besides one more "fancy" dress she will be all set. :)

Haven't thought of myself yet. :( Going to buy at least one cocktail dress and would like to buy another gown. ;)

Sounds like your dd loves to dress up on the ship as much as my 12 yr old dgd. Her mom bought her 2 really cute dresses at Macy's, they are both slightly tight at the hem (guess that's the new style) and are tea length. She looks darling in them! Isn't it great to have a daughter that likes to dress up instead of one who complains about it? Have fun!

From what I can see of your daughter's pink dress, it looks like it would be very pretty if cut off and hemmed at knee length.

The problem with detaching the skirt and shortening it at the waist is that the two pieces may not fit back together again without further alteration of the circumference of the skirt.

Isn't it great to have a daughter that likes to dress up instead of one who complains about it? Have fun!

Absoulutely! We must enjoy it while it lasts. They grown up so quickly. :(

From what I can see of your daughter's pink dress, it looks like it would be very pretty if cut off and hemmed at knee length.

The problem with detaching the skirt and shortening it at the waist is that the two pieces may not fit back together again without further alteration of the circumference of the skirt.

Thanks, that was one of the things I was afraid of. We will just have to be at the mercy of the seamstress.

Archived