Thenford Grey

bamboo29

Just realized I think I confused Dominca with St Kitts...not sure where Mr Nice was but might have to check my photos!

You know you were on too many islands when you can't keep them straight. Or maybe too many rums??????:o

So is this review of St. Kitts with Thenford, or Mr. Nice in Dominica? ( fingers crossed for Thenford!)

So is this review of St. Kitts with Thenford, or Mr. Nice in Dominica? ( fingers crossed for Thenford!)

Well, both Thenford and Cockleshell Beach are in St. Kitts, if that helps.

I'll be there with Thenford in January. YES!!!

Now I am even confusing myself. The review is definitely about Thenford Grey in St Kitts. That is where you find Brimstone Fortress ('The Fortress'), Cockleshell Beach, and incredible beauty! However, Mr. Nice is a fruit vendor in Dominica that has nothing to do with Thenford Grey, although Thenford Grey is very nice and, as far as we could tell, a Mr.

I will blame the confusion on a virulent Caribbean cold which hit me on the third of our flights home last Sunday, shortly after the pilot announced the temperature at destination was -3 degrees F.

I am sure you will love St Kitts.

Now I am even confusing myself. The review is definitely about Thenford Grey in St Kitts. That is where you find Brimstone Fortress ('The Fortress'), Cockleshell Beach, and incredible beauty! However, Mr. Nice is a fruit vendor in Dominica that has nothing to do with Thenford Grey, although Thenford Grey is very nice and, as far as we could tell, a Mr.

I will blame the confusion on a virulent Caribbean cold which hit me on the third of our flights home last Sunday, shortly after the pilot announced the temperature at destination was -3 degrees F.

I am sure you will love St Kitts.

Sure it wasn't the rum? :D

We had a wonderful tour with Thenford on December 4. He is so knowledgable about the island and there is so much to see and hear. I wish we could have been on St. Kitts longer! I think a return visit is definitely in order. I also left a bag with two t-shirts I bought at Reggae Beach Bar somewhere near the port. I emailed Thenford from the ship the next day and he went to the stores I shopped in but couldn't find them. He also followed up a few days later. Above and beyond. Exceeding expectations is what customer service is all about!!!

We also enjoyed our experience with Mr. Nice two years ago on Dominica. I was glad he picked on my husband and not me!! :)

We hired Thenford Grey himself for this "Island Tour". The cost was $40 per person and ran from 8:00am until about 2:00 pm with beach time available at Cockleshell Beach at the end of the tour. Thenford first took us through the historic city of Basseterre which was founded in 1625 by French settlers. After the city highlights we stopped at the ruins of an old sugar cane processing factory and Romney Manor-Caribelle Batik which was once owned by Captain Samuel Jefferson, the great, great, great grandfather of Thomas Jefferson. The Plantation House which sits amidst 25 acres of lush tropical gardens, is now a batik factory and store. The gardens feature a large collection of exotic plants, palms and trees from all over the world. We saw numerous green tailed monkeys in the short drive between the ruin and the Manor. We then spent an hour at Brimstone Hill Fortress National Park which sets atop a volcanic cone that is 800 feet high and offers 360-degree panoramic views of the surrounding countryside and neighboring islands. Brimstone Hill Fortress National Park is a World Heritage Site. (The $8.00 entrance fee was included). The Fortress is indeed impressive. I could have easily spent 4 hours exploring this impressive site. A lot of monkeys make their home in the vegetation surrounding the fort. Thenford shared a lot of local history with us as we explored the island. We also saw a live cockfight (two roosters going at each other) in the middle of the street. Our last stop was Cockleshell Beach where we had an opportunity to swim, collect shells, and grab a beer. On the way, we saw wandering goats, cows, and more monkeys. Recommended!

Here are more of our Secrets of the Caribbean!

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/caribbean-secrets.html

These are our very detailed personal reviews, hints, and tips for ports of call that you will be visiting.

Just got back today from a 10 day cruise and had the pleasure of touring with Thenford Grey. We had no problems both making and confirming reservations with him and he answered us within 24 hours or so of receipt of our emails. His tour is great with nice equiptment and he is a very professional person to deal with. It is evident that he loves his country and is very knowledgable about it. Had a wonderful day and would reccommend him to anyone.

Thenford, if you're monitoring this thread, thanks again for a really great tour.:)

A group of about 20 from our Cruise Critic roll call toured with Thenford 2 months ago. Thenford is a very nice, very knowledgeable gentleman, and a great driver, too! (HOW does he get that tour van through those gates at the fort???) The highlights of his tour for us were the fort and the Batik factory, which has beautiful grounds. The rain forest was very cool, and we saw wild monkeys in the trees along the way. He stopped at some spots that offered beautiful photo shots. My best vacation pics came from his tour.

The one part of the tour that we did NOT like was Cockleshell beach and the Reggae bar & grill there. The whole place was just nasty, with flies that tried to carry our food off the plate. However, in all fairness, a hurricane had blown through there just a few days before we arrived, so maybe they hadn't finished cleaning the beach up. Hopefully, it will be a lot better by now. But we did not like the Reggae bar. Their prices are outrageous (no competition), and it is just nasty for that hog to be walking around and sleeping against the bar's wall. I am a farm girl, through and through, and I am very comfortable being with farm animals. But I do not want to eat with a hog. If we ever go back to St Kitts, we WILL use Thenford again, but we will request that he take us to a different beach.

The one part of the tour that we did NOT like was Cockleshell beach and the Reggae bar & grill there. The whole place was just nasty, with flies that tried to carry our food off the plate. However, in all fairness, a hurricane had blown through there just a few days before we arrived, so maybe they hadn't finished cleaning the beach up. Hopefully, it will be a lot better by now. But we did not like the Reggae bar. Their prices are outrageous (no competition), and it is just nasty for that hog to be walking around and sleeping against the bar's wall. I am a farm girl, through and through, and I am very comfortable being with farm animals. But I do not want to eat with a hog. If we ever go back to St Kitts, we WILL use Thenford again, but we will request that he take us to a different beach.

Actually we were there last January and it was the same way at Cockleshell beach and Reggae Bar. Beach was okay, restaurant was very pricy and the flies!!! what is with the flies!

Two friends in our group walked further down the beach and found a secluded spot and said was very nice.

We are back in St. Kitts in a few weeks and this time we are doing the volcano hike. Mr. Grey has been so quick at responding to all my emails and he has made us very excited about this tour. I'll report back after we get home about it.

The tour we took we Thenford Sunday December 14, 2008 was the highlight of our cruise. He with is bright orange plaid vest is a class act. St Kitts is the most delightful island we visited! I would go back in a heartbeat. Thanks Thenford!

What a priviledge it was to tour with Thenford Gray on our Miracle cruise in December. Mr. Gray is a real gentleman and very well versed. He knows his Island. A wonderful tour and great value for money. Would recommend this tour to any one going to St. Kitts. A beautiful Island and a great guide.Thank you Thenford. We would love to go back and when we do we will be in touch with you.

Val. Phillips.

Ontario,Canada.:):):D

• 2 weeks later...

http://**********************/The_Tour.html

thenang06@yahoo.com

Our family of six took the above tour privately with Thenford Grey on December 30th. He was able to also accommodate my grandmother who was able to get onto his bus with the use of her can, but otherwise used her wheelchair. His tour was reasonably priced and thoroughly highlighted the island and it's sights and history.

FWIW, he always replied to my emails politely and promptly. :)

We did an excursion w/ Thenford Grey on Jan 2, 2009. Very nice tour. He is incredibley well informed and educated. He provides so much more than the general party island tour. He was extremely accomodating and was more than willing to take 2 couples from our tour back to the ship as they did not want to stay at the beach. This trip is about 45 each way. This island is beautiful and this was a wonderful way to see much of the island.

Overall - I would highly recommend this tour to anyone looking for a nice day.

My Wife, and Parents toured with Thenford on January 17th. I can't say enough about the tour. Thenford was one of the best Guides I have ever had. He was extremely polite, very knowledgeable and accommodating. We toured the most of the Island in a large air-conditioned one year old bus that was equipped with a speaker system. I would highly recommend him to anyone touring.

Would Thenford's tour with the stop to Cockelshell be a good suggestion for a family touring with a 5 and 6 year old? This will be the last stop on our cruise, and a little worried the kids might be worn down by then. How long is the total trip with him and do you think it would be age appropriate?

Thanks!

I don't know how I missed this thread!

On a different board, everyone was recommending Royston for tours so I contacted him. Here's his website:

http://www.roystontours.com/services.htm

Can anyone tell me if they've heard of him?

I'm now torn; I don't know if I should stick w/Royston or book with Thenford. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

We booked a tour with Thenford this January. He had a full van and had our group (2 couples) go with his brother, Sackville Grey. Sackville provided an absolutely great tour. He is articulate, extremely knowledgeable about the island and provided an entertaining historical perspective on the places we visited. We strongly endorse Thenford and Sackville.

Archived