Have U sailed Destiny AFTER her dry dock???

GigglewolfOfTheSeas

Extremely eager to find-out as much DETAIL as possible about the Destiny's refurbishment during her recent drydock (excluding that huge screen by the pool...I think we ALL know about that one already, lol).

If you are on or just returning from the Destiny AFTER her drydock, please provide us all with your great insight. The NCL Sky had particular problems with a/c and plumbing, plus service is STILL bad weeks after they finished her refurbishment.

I, personally, would like to know about the condition of the spa & fitness facilities, such as the fitness area and the steam & sauna facilities (are they still those nice big rooms with huge windows overlooking the ocean?).

Much obliged to anyone with details AFTER the drydock!!

Regards,

Gigglewolf

;)

I get on the Destiny tomorrow for 5 days and will try to post some quick pictures tomorrow afternoon before pulling from port. If not, I will be posting a review on or around October 4. I plan to visit the spa, but don't think there was much, if anything, done to that area. most of the refurb was to the lido deck, bathrooms, and cabins.

Will keep everyone posted.

I leave Oct 2nd and will post as soon as I get back.

For anyone going earlier, does the ship look clean? How's the service? Did the rooms look new? How was the food? I am so excited and can hardly wait for info.

Deena take good care of her for me and I wish you safe seas.

Would also love to know who the CD is, and who is playing in the Piano Bar...:D 32 days till B2B on her WOOOHOO!!!:p

The CD is a guy called Jorge... not sure of his surname,but he was in the Imagination last year.. not bad,quite funny, but his assistant CD is a woman named Jen..... didn't like her at all... too loud and annoying!

Don't know the name of the piano guy, but he's quite good.

We were passengers on the Carnival Destiny from Sept. 21 to 27, 2008. We have taken 20+ cruises between the two of us within the Carnival family of cruise lines.

We began calling this The Cruise From Hell. People everywhere on the ship were complaining. The lines at the pursers desk were an hour long for days. One woman sat at our dinner table and began singing a song out loud about this being the worst cruise ever!

Boarding the ship was a terrible experience. The worst we’ve ever experienced.

• We waited to board ship for 4 hours after signing in. It took a ridiculous FOUR HOURS to board!
  • Some people were left standing outside in 90 degree heat for 4 hours.
  • Others were left standing or had to sit on the floors while waiting.
  • No food. No drinks. No seats. No compassion for passengers.
  • The ship staff and port staff seemed uncaring and incompetent.
  • We were eventually told the ship’s crew hadn’t arrived in time so everything was delayed until they boarded. Poor planning and scheduling….again.

There were hardly ever any announcements or they were poorly done.

• The cruise director hardly ever took time to make any announcements about debarking or schedules. It was the worst of any cruise we've been on.

• No messages given as to when the safety drill would be or when we would be departing Miami. After being asked by passengers, a crew member told cruisers that the ship had 24 hours to hold the drill and it would be done "whenever....probably tomorrow morning." It was held 45 minutes later in a surprise announcement during dinner at 6pm. The lifeboat drill took place IN THE MIDDLE OF DINNER! There was no organization or scheduling.

• People in wheelchairs and those with canes (like me) were told to walk down 4 flights of chairs to the lifeboat drill that was announced unexpectedly during dinner.
  • In Key West, no announcement was made as to when we could leave ship or where to go. It was chaos.
  • There was often no debarkation announcement at all.
  • In Miami, they called self assist passengers and then called all 10 zones as well creating a logjam that could have been easily averted if they had waited for self assist passengers to clear before calling everyone else. Those of us with injuries or in wheelchairs were left standing in crowded lines for no reason.
  • The Pursers desk and maintenance phone answerers were very disrespectful in their tone, probably from receiving so many complaints.

The food was poor.

• Several foods were spoiled on the buffet even on the first day (tomatoes, fruit, potato salad).
  • The food was the worst of any cruise we have been on (20+ cruises between the two of us).

Elevators were shut off for most of the cruise.

• There were NO elevators for special needs passengers.
  • Many of the elevators were shut off for 5 of the 7 day cruise… most of the cruise!
  • In some places, 3 of the 4 elevators were closed off!
  • We were told the elevators were being used for repairs / upgrades. Here's an idea....get the upgrades done before you launch!
  • People in wheelchairs and those with canes (like me) were told to walk down 4 flights of chairs to the lifeboat drill that was announced unexpectedly during dinner.

Our television did not work!

• We called maintenance on the first day to report the TV didn’t work.
  • We called and again reported the TV had not been checked.
  • We called three more times the next day and still no one came.
  • We had no TV for 3 days (1/2 of the cruise) and when we called, the maintenance people lied repeatedly before finally sending someone up to look at it and found a cable was broken in the hallway.

Our ceiling collapsed!

• On Tuesday about 5pm part of cabin ceiling fell down as the ship was in minimal waves and barely missed our laptop, breaking glass all over floor.
  • It took maintenance only an hour to repair the ceiling but the broken glass was left on our floor for hours.
  • They came and put the ceiling back but left glass all over the floor. Instead of cleaning the dangerous broken glass, they put a stool over part of it!
  • We had to shower and get dressed for dinner very carefully due to all the glass which wasn’t cleaned until we returned from dinner after 9pm. Extremely unsafe.

The shower was dirty and did not drain properly.

• Our shower was covered in black mold in the grout until Wednesday.
  • On Thursday the shower overflowed over and over again getting everything wet on floor in bath area. Our shower would not drain and flooded the bathroom and dripped into our cabin.
  • When I phoned maintenance, they came and said there was no problem. It flooded again and again after they did nothing.

The overall ship was dirty and in need of being refurbished. We have never before seen a ship in such disrepair.

• Our balcony was dirty and rusty.
  • The outside of the ship was covered in rusty circles 5 feet across and other parts of the ship were covered in rust.
  • There were entire floors that were uncarpeted and unpainted and wavy as you walked along.
  • Garbage littered the floors of the promenade.
  • Brown scum that looked like sewage covered the windows in the lido dining room. Not very appetizing.
  • Many areas of the ship could not be accessed due to work being done during the cruise.
  • The basketball court, parts of the deck where we normally sit on lounge chairs, and hallways were blocked off limiting our enjoyment of things we had paid for.

We deserve a complete refund. This was a totally unpleasant experience and a waste of our time and money.

Carnival Cruise Lines

3655 NW 87th Avenue

Miami, FL 33178-2428

1-888-CARNIVAL

• We had no TV for 3 days (1/2 of the cruise) and when we called, the maintenance people lied repeatedly before finally sending someone up to look at it and found a cable was broken in the hallway.

Our ceiling collapsed!

• On Tuesday about 5pm part of cabin ceiling fell down as the ship was in minimal waves and barely missed our laptop, breaking glass all over floor.
  • It took maintenance only an hour to repair the ceiling but the broken glass was left on our floor for hours.
  • They came and put the ceiling back but left glass all over the floor. Instead of cleaning the dangerous broken glass, they put a stool over part of it!
  • We had to shower and get dressed for dinner very carefully due to all the glass which wasn’t cleaned until we returned from dinner after 9pm. Extremely unsafe.

• On Thursday the shower overflowed over and over again getting everything wet on floor in bath area. Our shower would not drain and flooded the bathroom and dripped into our cabin.
  • When I phoned maintenance, they came and said there was no problem. It flooded again and again after they did nothing.

The overall ship was dirty and in need of being refurbished. We have never before seen a ship in such disrepair.

[*]Our balcony was dirty and rusty.

Wow! What cabin # did u have?:eek:

We deserve a complete refund. This was a totally unpleasant experience and a waste of our time and money.

Carnival Cruise Lines

3655 NW 87th Avenue

Miami, FL 33178-2428

1-888-CARNIVAL

They'll Probably just offer u an OBC of $25/pp.;)

Good luck!

I leave Oct 2nd and will post as soon as I get back.

For anyone going earlier, does the ship look clean? How's the service? Did the rooms look new? How was the food? I am so excited and can hardly wait for info.

Deena take good care of her for me and I wish you safe seas.

We're leaving on the 2nd as well - looking forward to a great cruise. Hopefully the bugs will be worked out by time we get onboard. What's this about a large screen on deck?!?;)

We're leaving on the 2nd as well - looking forward to a great cruise. Hopefully the bugs will be worked out by time we get onboard. What's this about a large screen on deck?!?;)

Yes they've added a big screen.... and I'm sure all the glitches will be ironed out by then... most of them were fixed by the end of last week.... you'll have a great time!!

HIYA Have you joined our roll call?

Seems like a lot of cruise critic members on this sailing, still trying to work out our meet uo plans.

I look forward to seeing you, there are 6 of us on board.

Trina

Which night is the formal night on the Destiny four-day cruise (Key West, Cozumel, out of Miami)?

Also, what's the best way from the airport to the port in Miami - just take a cab? How much (approximately)?

Thanks!

Formal night is usually the first sea day.

The easiest way from the airport is a cab.... there's a fixed rate.. I think it's $24.

We were passengers on the Carnival Destiny from Sept. 21 to 27, 2008. We have taken 20+ cruises between the two of us within the Carnival family of cruise lines.

We began calling this The Cruise From Hell. People everywhere on the ship were complaining. The lines at the pursers desk were an hour long for days. One woman sat at our dinner table and began singing a song out loud about this being the worst cruise ever!

Boarding the ship was a terrible experience. The worst we’ve ever experienced.

• We waited to board ship for 4 hours after signing in. It took a ridiculous FOUR HOURS to board!
  • Some people were left standing outside in 90 degree heat for 4 hours.
  • Others were left standing or had to sit on the floors while waiting.
  • No food. No drinks. No seats. No compassion for passengers.
  • The ship staff and port staff seemed uncaring and incompetent.
  • We were eventually told the ship’s crew hadn’t arrived in time so everything was delayed until they boarded. Poor planning and scheduling….again.

There were hardly ever any announcements or they were poorly done.

• The cruise director hardly ever took time to make any announcements about debarking or schedules. It was the worst of any cruise we've been on.

• No messages given as to when the safety drill would be or when we would be departing Miami. After being asked by passengers, a crew member told cruisers that the ship had 24 hours to hold the drill and it would be done "whenever....probably tomorrow morning." It was held 45 minutes later in a surprise announcement during dinner at 6pm. The lifeboat drill took place IN THE MIDDLE OF DINNER! There was no organization or scheduling.

• In Key West, no announcement was made as to when we could leave ship or where to go. It was chaos.
  • There was often no debarkation announcement at all.
  • In Miami, they called self assist passengers and then called all 10 zones as well creating a logjam that could have been easily averted if they had waited for self assist passengers to clear before calling everyone else. Those of us with injuries or in wheelchairs were left standing in crowded lines for no reason.
  • The Pursers desk and maintenance phone answerers were very disrespectful in their tone, probably from receiving so many complaints.

The food was poor.

• Several foods were spoiled on the buffet even on the first day (tomatoes, fruit, potato salad).
  • The food was the worst of any cruise we have been on (20+ cruises between the two of us).

Elevators were shut off for most of the cruise.

• There were NO elevators for special needs passengers.
  • Many of the elevators were shut off for 5 of the 7 day cruise… most of the cruise!
  • In some places, 3 of the 4 elevators were closed off!
  • We were told the elevators were being used for repairs / upgrades. Here's an idea....get the upgrades done before you launch!

Our ceiling collapsed!

• Our balcony was dirty and rusty.
  • The outside of the ship was covered in rusty circles 5 feet across and other parts of the ship were covered in rust.
  • There were entire floors that were uncarpeted and unpainted and wavy as you walked along.
  • Garbage littered the floors of the promenade.
  • Brown scum that looked like sewage covered the windows in the lido dining room. Not very appetizing.
  • Many areas of the ship could not be accessed due to work being done during the cruise.
  • The basketball court, parts of the deck where we normally sit on lounge chairs, and hallways were blocked off limiting our enjoyment of things we had paid for.

Carnival Cruise Lines

3655 NW 87th Avenue

Miami, FL 33178-2428

1-888-CARNIVAL

Sounds horrible.... Should have jumped over board!!

For that 4-day, I'm guessing elegant night will actually be after Key West. The first sea day is not until the night before debarkation and I don't think they usually have the night so many people have to put their luggage out. I've been known to be wrong before though.

Archived