Mount Roberts Tramway in Juneau

clleste

One thing to note: plan on eating on ship, I say this not due to expense of local places, but the lack thereof. We really didn't find any place of note off ship, and I'm one for trying the local food!

When we were in Ketchikan on a cruise several years ago, one of the local service clubs (Elks, American Legion, not quite sure what one) was offering a fish fry (halibut) meal at a very reasonable price and it was quite good.:)

When we were there last year we made plans to hike there in the AM. We

love to hike around. But in Mid June there was too much snow and the trails

were all closed. They still wanted the 24 or so to go on the tram to see the

clouds that day.

So if its a clear day then buy your tickets WHEN you ready. Its worth the $$

if its open and the weather is good.

But Alaska weather can change quickly.

When we were there last year we made plans to hike there in the AM. We

love to hike around. But in Mid June there was too much snow and the trails

were all closed. They still wanted the 24 or so to go on the tram to see the

clouds that day.

So if its a clear day then buy your tickets WHEN you ready. Its worth the $$

if its open and the weather is good.

But Alaska weather can change quickly.

Hey, it cleared up later that day! When we went up to the top, it was very very pretty and we could see for ever in any direction. But, yeah, earlier in the day it had been pretty rainy. Wettest day of the cruise.

we were in Juneau last September, we took a tourbus out to Meldenhall, which was fabulous. On the way back to the dock, I asked the driver to drop us off at the tramway, as it was a beautiful clear day. From the top, we could see our ship. We also saw an eagle on a tree, on the way up. At the top of the tramway, there is an injured eagle, Lady Baltimore, it is so sad to think some idiot deliberatly injured her, & left her partner mateless. I think seeing her was worth the trip up the mountain. We stopped & had a few drinks at the bar next to the shop, It was a fun thing to do, & our ship was docked next to the tram station. I think I bought a T shirt that has the name of the bar on it, :D

Kenai Fjords is a must. We did one of the longer tours - and we saw whales (and dolphins) all over the place (late june). I think your odds are pretty good until you get deep into the fjord to see some cool sea creatures.

Off the beaten path? If you like to walk then there are killer walking trails behind Juneau - not just Mt Roberts, but there is one that goes to a waterfall and an old mine / historic site. If it's a nice day that's the best way to do it. And free!

thomas

My husband loves to cook and I bought him a beautiful carved ulu knife from a small shop in Skagway. I just passed on any item that said Made in China (there were many). I would rather buy one quality thing to remember my trip by than tons of "junk". Talking to local shopkeepers is wonderful and you learn about the town just by chatting with them.

The Tram is still in the 2009 Tourbook. We will be using ours. Someone mentioned that they hiked up the mountain and took the tram down. How was the hike going up? We were thinking taking the Tram up and hiking down, sounds easier to me!

I haven't done this hike (yet), but I have done lots of hiking, so I can give you a bit of general hiking advice... While hiking uphill is lots more work, it is much, much easier on your knees than hiking down hill. If you have any knee problems, it is much easier on your body to hike uphill (and take lots of time to enjoy the exercise) and then take a ride back down the mountain. If you do decide to hike downhill and aren't used to hiking, you might want to use a walking stick or hiking poles to help protect your knees.

- Corie

The 2008 Toursaver had a 2 for 1 coupon for the tram. Don't know about the 09 book.

We were glad we went, although we would have felt it was overpriced if we had paid full admission. FYI, the tickets are good for unlimited use all day. We went up in the morning, and again in the late afternoon.

How would I get one of these Toursaver books? Thanks

I confirmed the coupons for our cruise today with Toursaver.

Hi Brian--In Juneau, ride the Mt Roberts Tram or go whale watching or fishing. Also rainforest tour (Gastineau Gardens). In Skagway there is a food tour. In Ketchikan there is crab boat tour, kayaking and city tours.

We really loved the Glacier GArdens tour that was part of the "City, Mendenhall Glacier...etc. "tour my DH got a "bee in his bonnet" and has spent the last 5 yrs trying to recreate the "Upside down tree hanging baskets" feature in the gardens (with minimal sucess I must say). They have a view at the end of their rainforest ride that is better than Mt Roberts

Just found that coupon book, would have to be planning a lot of very expensive tours to make me pay $99 to get a 2 for 1 book!

P8240137.jpg.ed07567147162de5efd4dd5408be83b6.jpg

P8240144.jpg.4fb24926f9dc9ed825519a0e8c16b1a0.jpg

We really loved the Glacier GArdens tour that was part of the "City' date=' Mendenhall Glacier...etc. "tour my DH got a "bee in his bonnet" and has spent the last 5 yrs trying to recreate the "Upside down tree hanging baskets" feature in the gardens (with minimal sucess I must say). They have a view at the end of their rainforest ride that is better than Mt Roberts

Just found that coupon book, would have to be planning a lot of [u']very [/u]expensive tours to make me pay $99 to get a 2 for 1 book!

I purchased the Tour Saver Book and from the excursions I have booked it has saved me 580.00. I think it is well worth it.

Archived