What is Maasdam Going to Do?

sail7seas

I just heard weather forecast on MSNBC and they say the storm coming up the East Coast is just about hurricane force winds. It likely will officially become a Hurricane and it is expected to hit Nova Scotia.

Seems unusual for a storm to turn to Hurricane so far north.

Maasdam sails today from Boston to Bar Harbor to Halifax and Sydney, Nova Scotia. Nova Scotia seems to be where Kyle is headed.

I know, of course, Captain will never put his crew, guests or ship at risk.

Wonder what they'll do?

Wishing the best to the people in Halifax and Sydney.

Stay safe.

AND, CERTAINLY, TO MAASDAM and all who sail on her.

Good question.

We have been following the forecast as well -- hoping for some rain.

We were just taking about the Maasdam a couple of hours ago and wondered what they will do.

Maybe stay in Boston?? Maybe Halifax??

A few years ago I remember reading about an NCL ship that was suppose to ge to Bermuda. People had clothes for warmer weather. Then a hurricane headed towards Bermuda -- they did an entire schedule change. They went towards New England and people complained because they didn't know about the change until they got on the ship -- and no one had warmer clothes.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

Thanks for the well wishes Sail.

After Juan hit us exactly five years ago this weekend, all of us are watching this very closely. As of now, Kyle is projected to track across southwestern Nova Scotia, with wind warnings in effect from Yarmouth to Lunenburg county (which borders Halifax county). Also, there are marine warnings of hurricane force winds for the entire area of the Atlantic surrounding southwestern N.S. The latest forecast calls for Kyle to lose strength once it enters our "colder" waters......which we certainly hope and pray for. It seems New Brunswick may be the hardest hit, with 50 to upwards of 100mms of rain, accompanied by high winds.

goes_ecan_1070_m_2008@09@27_16h15m.jpg

Whatever is decided, hopefully the crew and passengers aboard the Maasdam stay safe.

The morning paper said Saint John will take the direct hit with sustained winds of 90 km per hour with gusts to 120 km per hour. We will also receive heavy rains.

I hope you stay safe sapper....batten down the hatches and be prepared, that's about all one can do in situations like these. With those heavy rains, flooding will be a concern for sure, especially in Saint John.

When Juan came ashore (about 5 kms from our house) it was like nothing I had ever seen before....and hope to never see again. Our massive maple trees in the backyard were swaying like saplings and the rain came "down" horizontally. So many people were unprepared and/or nonchalant about that storm and paid the price.

If there are hurricane winds or close to it, there is no way they will drop tenders. Who in their right mind would want to go ashore?

I'm really curious what they are planning.

I'm sure no matter what decisions are made, there will be a handful of 'winners' who will blame HAL for the weather and any changes to itinerary.

It is pouring here now.

If there are hurricane winds or close to it, there is no way they will drop tenders.

I'm really curious what they are planning.

My guess would be probably something along the lines of bypassing Bar Harbor and maybe staying at sea that day... or maybe arriving at Halifax that evening and doing an overnight.

Eurodam will be in the middle of the St. Lawrence River during all of this too.

Oooh,,,, I forgot about Eurodam being in the neighborhood, as well.

That sounds like a plan. Would be fun to have an overnight in Halifax. I'd like that. Except, it'll be miserable rain if it is anything like we are getting right now.

We were palnning to go out for an early dinner...... might pass on it and stay home.

Most important is ships and everyone on them stay safe.

I hope you stay safe sapper....batten down the hatches and be prepared, that's about all one can do in situations like these. With those heavy rains, flooding will be a concern for sure, especially in Saint John.

When Juan came ashore (about 5 kms from our house) it was like nothing I had ever seen before....and hope to never see again. Our massive maple trees in the backyard were swaying like saplings and the rain came "down" horizontally. So many people were unprepared and/or nonchalant about that storm and paid the price.

We have put away the lawn furniture and taken down all the hanging plants that could come through a window. If we lose power we have a couple of propane fireplaces for heat. Flooding is a very serious problem in East Saint John. We are fortunate to live up on a hill in the Millidgeville area so do not have to contend with a flooded basement. A few weeks ago Hanna washed out the road down around the corner from us and it was two weeks before we had it repaired.

We paid a visit to Halifax a few days after Juan and I couldn't believe the destruction--especially in the Public Gardens and Point Pleasant Park. You are so right that we are so complacent about hurricanes here in the Maritimes and every so often we get zapped hard.

We are supposed to have four cruise ships in port at the same time (a first) on Tuesday but now I am wondering if some will be diverted to other itineraries. One of the expected ships is the Queen Mary 2. Four cruise ships and Elton John--all on the same day. Talk about gridlock uptown!!!

I guess he was in Halifax last night.

Tks for your concern. We will stay put and stay safe.

I hope everyone on the Maasdam has a safe, and still enjoyable cruise. I wouldnt have thought cruising during hurricane season would be a worry on a Canada New England itinerary, but you never know, do you?

I also hope the Maasdam arrives safely in Montreal on the 4th, since that's when we board :D

Sapper, glad you are prepared and I hope all goes well for you. We lived in Florida for 12 years and rode out our share of hurricanes. Hoping you stay safe, sound and dry.

I hope everyone on the Maasdam has a safe, and still enjoyable cruise. I wouldnt have thought cruising during hurricane season would be a worry on a Canada New England itinerary, but you never know, do you?

I also hope the Maasdam arrives safely in Montreal on the 4th, since that's when we board :D

Sapper, glad you are prepared and I hope all goes well for you. We lived in Florida for 12 years and rode out our share of hurricanes. Hoping you stay safe, sound and dry.

Hope all goes well next weekend for your cruise.

I picked the wrong weeks to cruise, the first two early this month. My family has been maritime since 1639 and our motto is: "It's not rough until the engine bolts tear loose."

At any rate, I hope all aboard all ships are able to handle whatever happens, stay off the outside decks* and eat lightly.

*Mom was on a ship where a lady of a certain age was determined to take her daily walk on the Prom, despite orders to stay inside. She went out, fell and broke her hip. They had to put her down.

A few years ago, I was going up the coast approx 20k, not counting port breaks. Hurricane Erin was coming up the coast at a speed matching our 20k/shore breaks. We accompanied each other and, while it was calm in port, once we got outside it was not so nice for people from the flat states.

Archived