Anytime Dining

Morris4me

No!!!!!

You can either walk in or make reservations early in the day in Anytime.

Does that mean the Anytime Diner can just walk over to the Traditional Room ..... I mean, if Traditional Diners are down in the Anytime Diners area, there must be space there .....

Just curious if it works both ways, or is the advantage ONLY for Traditional Diners?

Does that mean the Anytime Diner can just walk over to the Traditional Room ..... I mean, if Traditional Diners are down in the Anytime Diners area, there must be space there .....

Just curious if it works both ways, or is the advantage ONLY for Traditional Diners?

Anytime dinners unfortunately can't switch into traditional dinning - You would think that they would back fill the empty spaces of those that changed into anytime dinning during the cruise but they don't. The TD's have the best of both worlds and can stay with their assigned seating and sample AD whenever they get back late from a tour (even though it's frowned upon).

Anytime dinners unfortunately can't switch into traditional dinning - You would think that they would back fill the empty spaces of those that changed into anytime dinning during the cruise but they don't. The TD's have the best of both worlds and can stay with their assigned seating and sample AD whenever they get back late from a tour (even though it's frowned upon).

That is my point.

No matter how the Traditional Diner tries to twist the rules to make it seem alright, it is not (unless you do not mind an Anytime Diner going to your dining room and snagging your seat). No one can honestly say that it would be fair, or the correct reading of Princess policy that certain cruisers (TD's) get the advantage of monopolize two dining room seatings. Of course, there are those that feel they are entitled.

You are asked to make the choice between the two experiences. If you miss your dining time, there are several other options (room service, buffet, UBD, specialty restaraunt, etc ...)

Having said that, there is a solution I see as fair. If they had a separate queue at AD for TD's where they would be seated if there was no AD waiting for a table, I could see that as fair.

That is my point.

No matter how the Traditional Diner tries to twist the rules to make it seem alright, it is not (unless you do not mind an Anytime Diner going to your dining room and snagging your seat). No one can honestly say that it would be fair, or the correct reading of Princess policy that certain cruisers (TD's) get the advantage of monopolize two dining room seatings. Of course, there are those that feel they are entitled.

You are asked to make the choice between the two experiences. If you miss your dining time, there are several other options (room service, buffet, UBD, specialty restaraunt, etc ...)

Having said that, there is a solution I see as fair. If they had a separate queue at AD for TD's where they would be seated if there was no AD waiting for a table, I could see that as fair.

All these posts made on this board aren't going to change a thing since it's a minuscule portion of the people who sail. How many actually post anything on any cruise board? On this one perhaps on this one 25 or 30? From my experience Princess tries to check at the beginning of the cruise but gives up before long, thinking people have been informed & won't try & change. Good luck! On our next cruise we're going to do TD for the first time since the inception of AD since my wife wanted to try it again & I'm not sure if we'll stick it out for the whole trip or not, but I seriously doubt if they'll reassign our TD seats half way through the cruise.

I wouldn't say "encouraged". :rolleyes:

Anytime is there for the offering.

If you like to try it, miss your dinner time, whatever, you can dine in the Anytime rooms. No one's stopping you.

NO !!! That is NOT correct--unfortunately the room cards are not checked often enough to keep traditional diners in their dining room

Those of us who choose anytime dining shouldn't have to wait for those who choose not to go to their dining room--we certainly can't get into Traditional Dining just because we feel like it--something is not quite fair here !!

Nancy:D

I guess the one consoloation for those of us who choose Anytime is that we can make reservations and Traditionals who subvert the rules have to wait.

I guess the one consoloation for those of us who choose Anytime is that we can make reservations and Traditionals who subvert the rules have to wait.

They have no right to even wait to be seated--just not the way it is--if the ship would take a look at the room cards to check for dining, we wouldn't have this problem at all

Nancy:D

maybe if the staff were explained be their superiors to do their jobs correctly this would be a minor issue.:confused:

Traditional is traditional.period or use buffet,etc.

Anytime can make their reservations or not.There should (key word) be plenty of room all the time if used properly.

If everyone wanted off the ship at the same time would that work?or tours were set up,run and grab your seat or maintenance of ship and engine room were a hit and miss,etc,etc

no,because you have orginization and people doing their jobs and enforcing the rules in other areas of the cruise ship.

Maybe,myself and others could come out of retirement and see to these types of issues and see the world and make some extra $$$:) :eek: :rolleyes:

It wasn't meant to. "Personal Choice Dining" means you get to choose between "Anytime Dining", "Traditional Dining", "Speciality Dining" and "Casual Dining".

http://www.princess.com/learn/ships/di/amenities_publicrooms/personal_choice_dining/index.html

But it doesn't mean you get to have both traditional and anytime dining on the same cruise. You still have to pick one or the other. You pick one of those and then you also have the options of specialty dining or casual dining. You get 3 options, not all 4.

Not the way I would do it, but I'm not in charge.

I'd set up something on the personalizer so that you could indicate if you intended to use a specialty dining room or other alternative means for dinner. If you did that, you'd be assigned the anytime option and be allowd to make specialty reservations in advance. If you indicated you only intended to eat at a set time (i.e., traditional dining), then you'd be assigned to TD. Of course, that doesn't help if people deliberately provide misinformation.

I choose late TD and am at my table every night. I don't like it when the table is half empty and we're waiting for the no shows before ordering.

If I ever have anytime dining, I intend to honor the idea and show up at the time I want to eat, without making reservations. If I have to wait, then so be it. That's what bars are for.

If you are assigned to Traditional dining then you are NOT SUPPOSED to go to the Anytime dining room. Period. If you miss your assigned time you are supposed to eat in the buffet.

I know some people on here will tell you different, but that is NOT how it is supposed to work. Do people do it, sure but it puts an extra load on Anytime to make room for you.

Please be considerate of those assigned to Anytime dining and eat in the buffet if you can't make your Traditional time.

My friend who had Anytime wanted Traditional, but was placed on a waitlist.

During her cruise, she didn't make AD reservations and had to wait.

My friend decided to head over to the Traditional dining room to get a table and got one.

So maybe it does work both ways.

NO !!! That is NOT correct--unfortunately the room cards are not checked often enough to keep traditional diners in their dining room

Sorry dear, you are mistaken.

Doesn't matter what is written on your card in the Anytime dining, only for Traditional - early or late seating.

"ALL" passengers can use AD. With or without reservations.

My friend who had Anytime wanted Traditional, but was placed on a waitlist.

During her cruise, she didn't make AD reservations and had to wait.

My friend decided to head over to the Traditional dining room to get a table and got one.

So maybe it does work both ways.

That was only because the matre d knew for sure that they had a vacant spot at a particular table on that evening & back filled.

Okay, let's get serious here...

ALL ships are designed to provide JUST ENOUGH seating for ALL of the passengers...whether it's by traditional dining, anytime dining or some combination...

With ships that are ALL traditional Dining, they have enough seats in the dining room for 50% of the passengers at a time--which is why they do it in two shifts...You get one time or the other--but NOT the option to go at the other seating's time...Why? Because there's no space provided for it...If that option were open, they'd need to have TWICE the space in the dining room--because they'd never know when EVERYONE on board would suddenly opt one night for Late seating...

Ships with only anytime seating ALSO only have enough seating to accommodate about half the ship at one time...There's a little more guesswork involved...They sort of hope that everyone naturally staggers themselves...and they usually get lucky...enough folks come early and enough others come late...and they can get a little creative and rush some people along a bit and make others wait at times...But it's okay since everyone's signed on to the same rules.

But what Princess is trying to do is a bit more complicated and a bit different...

They don't have any more or less seating than anyone else...They've just split the ship into two completely seperate groups...and split the seating along with it...it's sort of like running a Royal Caribbean cruise and a Norwegian cruise side-by-side on the same ship...

You have 3,000 people and 1,500 seats...but you've split them into two different cruises of 1,500 people and 750 seats each--one running as a traditional two seating cruise, the other as an "Anytime"...

There isn't really any extra space on the Traditional side to take on any addtional diners at either seating...

But, don't be fooled...just because the anytime side is less structured, it doesn't mean they are set up to accommodate more than the 1,500 people they have planned for in their 750 seats...

If on any particular night, one-third of the 1,500 traditional guests decided to show up at anytime (and without rules, this--or worse--could easily happen, especially if there were late hours in port or some shipboard activitiy), then, suddenly, you'd have a dining facility with 750 seats having to accommodate 2,000 passengers--Simply could not be done in two normal dinner seatings...You'd have to make a lot of people wait...and you'd have to rush everyone along...

Rather than getting a table immediately...or, at worst, after a reasonably short wait, a lot of us might be waiting up to an hour...Then, when finally seated, rather than a leisurely two-hour window to enjoy a fine multi-course meal, they'd be rushing me out in a very un-cruise-like hour or less.

Those lucky enough to get traditional assignments don't have to worry about that...The rest of us are dealing with disaster...

You simply cannot do the side-by-side thing unless you are very strict about the rules...

If Princess really allows folks with traditional seating assignments to jump over to the Anytime side at will, it may likely be the last Princess cruise I ever take...

I do not cruise to wait for a free table and then get hurried along...If I wanted to deal with crowds and wait for dinner at restaurants with far too few seats for the demand, I can find those in other places...

I am still "waitlisted" for Early Traditional Dining on my Sapphire cruise...If ANYONE in Early seating on that cruise thinks they might want to jump over to Anytime at any time, call me--maybe we can effect a trade...

You know what I find interesting? There are so many people on the wait list for traditional dining. If that many people want it, why not make two dining rooms traditional and one anytime?

I booked my cruise 6 months in advance and could not get traditional dining.

What I think is that TA's that have group sales have saved blocks of cabins releasing those unsold later on down the road but.. I bet they save most of those with traditional dining options. Maybe a TA could respond.

We have booked very early on some cruises and found TD filled but on the cruises with the TA with the group sale approach we were in Trad. with no problem.

If Princess really allows folks with traditional seating assignments to jump over to the Anytime side at will, it may likely be the last Princess cruise I ever take...

I am still "waitlisted" for Early Traditional Dining on my Sapphire cruise....

After your Sapphire cruise.

Come back and tell us if it's your last Princess cruise.

;)

FYI ~ Sapphire has one traditional seating dining room and four restaurants for those choosing Princess' Anytime Dining option.

Vivaldi (Italian cuisine), Sterling (steakhouse), Santa Fe (Southwestern) and Pacific Moon (Asian).

Guests who choose the traditional dining room won't be left out of the culinary fun.

The new dining room configuration is another innovation in Princess' acclaimed Personal Choice Dining. program, designed to give passengers the ultimate in choice - and the only program to offer both traditional and restaurant-style seating options in its main dining rooms.

If that doesn't please you,

you could eat at -

24-hour dining - buffet/bistro and room service

Poolside Pizzeria, Hamburger Grill and Ice Cream Bar

Sabatini's Italian restaurant

Sterling Steakhouse

or on your balcony.

http://www.princess.com/news/article.jsp?newsArticleId=na635&submit=pk

You know what I find interesting? There are so many people on the wait list for traditional dining. If that many people want it, why not make two dining rooms traditional and one anytime?

I booked my cruise 6 months in advance and could not get traditional dining.

We booked our 7/26/09 cruise this past September and we are wait listed for Traditional dining table for two.............go figure!!!!!!!!!! Almost 1 year in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very disappointed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From Princess Website:

Anytime DiningSM/Traditional Dining

Anytime Dining offers a more flexible dining experience. Just like at a restaurant, arrive anytime between 5:30 p.m. and 10:00 p.m. to enjoy dinner alone or with friends.*On select ships, you may also make reservations while onboard if you would like to dine at a particular time. If you opt for Traditional Dining, your seating is shown on your cruise documents. The Maître d'hôtel will have a list of those passengers who are waitlisted for each dining seating. Should seats become available, he will contact waitlisted passengers onboard as appropriate.

So the rule is: That on "some" ships reservations may not be allowed.

Sorry dear, you are mistaken.

Doesn't matter what is written on your card in the Anytime dining, only for Traditional - early or late seating.

"ALL" passengers can use AD. With or without reservations.

We booked our 7/26/09 cruise this past September and we are wait listed for Traditional dining table for two.............go figure!!!!!!!!!! Almost 1 year in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very disappointed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why disappointed.... gez... they just haven't gotten to working the assignments yet.... Which probably means they haven't even looked so far as how many are requesting what....

We have been waitlisted.... many times.. then cleared. Give them time. They have lots to work now (earlier cruises for instance) other than seating assignments ten months from now. ;)

Originally Posted by SHIPMEOUT viewpost.gif

..........Someday this will finally become clear to everyone, and it will help when Princess decides to explain that when they say "Personal Choice Dining" it doesn't mean the same as "Anytime Dining".

Originally Posted by Chasetf viewpost.gif

It wasn't meant to. "Personal Choice Dining" means you get to choose between "Anytime Dining", "Traditional Dining", "Speciality Dining" and "Casual Dining".

http://www.princess.com/learn/ships/di/amenities_publicrooms/personal_choice_dining/index.html

But it doesn't mean you get to have both traditional and anytime dining on the same cruise. You still have to pick one or the other. You pick one of those and then you also have the options of specialty dining or casual dining. You get 3 options, not all 4.

Not the way I would do it, but I'm not in charge.

My post never meant to imply that. I was simply noting the term "Personal Choice Dining" was more general than SHIPMEOUT had defined it.

........I choose late TD and am at my table every night. I don't like it when the table is half empty and we're waiting for the no shows before ordering..
My pet peeve too. ;)

Archived