Grand Suites reviews

sailnsee

We had booked a D1 quad on deck 6 of Adventure, but after we boarded, our key did not work in the door of the cabin. After a visit to customer service, they told us that we had the "wrong" cabin, and we should go to 1548 instead.....when we opened that door, we realized that we had been upgraded to a GS!

The cabin was so spacious for the four of us, and we ended up spending more time than usual in our cabin because it was so nice! The double width balcony was well-utilized by us too! Being on deck 10, near the forward elevator/stair lobby, was a huge convenience - just a quick flight up to the pool and Windjammer! We never heard noise from above, or had any issues with this cabin or its location. (We've also stayed in a D1 on deck 10 of Mariner, near the aft elevator bank, and it was the same - no noise from above, and loved the convenient location).

However, we'd never pay for a GS, unless there was an unbelievable bargain price. We didn't have a need for most of the suite perks (we never used the concierge lounge), so it isn't worth the extra cost to us. Instead, we book two regular cabins for the four of us.

We have had the pleasure of being able to afford a GS for Navigator(5 of us), Liberty(5 of us), sovereign(4 of us) and Mariner(2 of us). Once you have one its hard to turn back is really the only down fall...seriously. Being on deck 10 is great but you do find yourself walking to the back of the ship a lot for Windjammer, which actually really bothered me on Freedom Class. also, pay attention to what is above you because some of them can be noisy with deck chairs, which I never noticed until I read about it here. We do use the concerige lounge a lot but I've never noticed that having a suite gets us any special treatment (we're diamond as well and neither really gets you anything special that we've noticed, except on Liberty, there was Concerige for suites and one for diamond members, but besides an email asking about pre reservations, nothing was different)

I still like the closets in the JS better, I think the GS closets are small but we use the extra drawers and I love the bigger bathroom and shelves.

We have had the pleasure of being able to afford a GS for Navigator(5 of us), Liberty(5 of us), sovereign(4 of us) and Mariner(2 of us). Once you have one its hard to turn back is really the only down fall...seriously. Being on deck 10 is great but you do find yourself walking to the back of the ship a lot for Windjammer, which actually really bothered me on Freedom Class. also, pay attention to what is above you because some of them can be noisy with deck chairs, which I never noticed until I read about it here. We do use the concerige lounge a lot but I've never noticed that having a suite gets us any special treatment (we're diamond as well and neither really gets you anything special that we've noticed, except on Liberty, there was Concerige for suites and one for diamond members, but besides an email asking about pre reservations, nothing was different)

I still like the closets in the JS better, I think the GS closets are small but we use the extra drawers and I love the bigger bathroom and shelves.

I completely agree with you regarding the closet space - there is way more in the JS.

Actually, the JS is my cabin of choice, but we are booked in a GS on the AOS this February. We paid less for a GS than what the JS's are currently booking for :)

Just returned from Monarch in a GS. We were also in a GS on Splendour in May. Big size difference in the two cabins. Splendour has 2 sinks in the bathroom and a built-in chest of drawers across from the closet. Also had shelves in the closet. And the bar area is longer. But I suppose most of it is because Monarch is smaller. We just booked a GS on Radiance for next fall. We had never sailed in a GS before the Splendour, but now I can't imagine going back to anything else.

great thread topic

we are sailing in a GS on ExOS 1324..first time GS and ExOS...we've always had aft JS before on radiance class.

hope we like this cabin....got the GS as a correction, as RCI sold or JS aft and booked us another JS cabin by mistake...took a lot of phone calls to RCI until they rechecked their records and realized their mistake..so they bumped us up to this GS..and $50 OBC

anyone have this GS before...any noise....the deck plan reflects it near the stairs

We love the GS. We have sailed in a GS on AOS, Majesty and Enchantment. We sailed in a JS on VOS and Radiance. I think the JS is really nice but I do like the GS better. I like having the double sinks and the bigger balcony. I also the dry bar area. We use it a lot (it becomes a catch all space:o ). I also really like the suite perks, concierge lounge, special treats on certain nights. I live for my vacations, I work really really hard and like to feel special on my vacations. The GS goes a long to making me feel a little more pampered. That being said we are trying a CL on Oasis in a couple of years, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to return to my beloved GS after the CL. There are lots of pictures of the GS on AOS and Enchantment in the links in my signature.

great thread topic

we are sailing in a GS on ExOS 1324..first time GS and ExOS...we've always had aft JS before on radiance class.

hope we like this cabin....got the GS as a correction, as RCI sold or JS aft and booked us another JS cabin by mistake...took a lot of phone calls to RCI until they rechecked their records and realized their mistake..so they bumped us up to this GS..and $50 OBC

anyone have this GS before...any noise....the deck plan reflects it near the stairs

I have had GS 1324 on the Explorer. Great cabin.:) No noise problems

at all, very quiet. Great location, Bigger balcony and Suite perks.

I agree with others that the JS closet is much bigger. The bathroom

in the GS is very large and having two sinks is always a plus.

Great Upgrade, enjoy it.

We were upgraded from a JS to a GS for our first cruise on and Radiance. I was so excited my face hurt from smiling. Since then, I've booked a GS for a TA, then a D1, E1, and OV for Caribbean cruises. I was a little concerned about the OV (my last cruise), but it was fine for a four day. It seems like I am going in the opposite direction with cabin bookings from most people (starting with a gs and moving down through to an OV).

Basically, I enjoy cruising in any cabin on a cruise except inside (I did that years ago on another cruise line, but I prefer natural light in the room). A GS is wonderful and spacious, in a great location, has a fabulous bathroom with tub and a generous balcony. You will love it.:)

Dorie

We have stayed in a GS on Voyager, AOS, and have one on IOS this December. We have also stayed in an OV and everything in between. Since we never seem to be able to get a Royal Family Suite we get a GS and have our DDs stay across the hall in an interior room. We then use our cabin as "home base". The GS is just a great size and layout, love the extra little perks that come with it. It great to have help getting tickets and reservations. I also love the coffee in the CL! We were going to stay in the Presidential suite on a curise coming up and had to cancel:mad: , because one of my dd didn't have enough vacation time left after taking time off for her honeymoon (wedding is this Saturday:D ). Now that would have really spoiled us! When we travel alone or with friends we stick to regular balcony cabins.

For those who had 4 or 5 people in a Grand Suite was it tight, also would a rollaway fit nicely or make the cabin too crowded. We are sailing in a GS on the serande with 4 people and I am a little worried it will be a mistake. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

We have stayed in a GS 3 times, 1st mariner, then Enchantment, then Mariner a 2nd time. The 2nd Mariner was a upgrade from a JS. Now that only my wife and I cruise, a GS is a waste of space for the 2 of us. Last time, we did not even use all the closet space and drawers. We do like the full size bathrooms though. So for our next cruise this coming June, we booked a JS. But if we get upgraded again, I won't turn it down.

We also had 1324 on the Explorer last summer. Right by elevators, no noise though. One flight up to the pool, Windjammer. We used the CL every night. That was when Ricky was there. Two sinks, bathtub. My son slept on the pull out. Loved the large balcony. A great room. Enjoy.

For those who had 4 or 5 people in a Grand Suite was it tight, also would a rollaway fit nicely or make the cabin too crowded. We are sailing in a GS on the serande with 4 people and I am a little worried it will be a mistake. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

the rollaway is put between the closet and the bar. it stays there the whole time so using the drawers and closet is a little cramped but as far as walking around or feeling cramped its not really a big deal. also , The rollaway bed is anything but luxurious! but for 4 there is plenty of room. Some ships do not allow this so don't plan on it unless you find out for sure. I was only able to book 3 people in our Sovereign GS , a friend of mine stayed in a JS so I was able to pay for a 3rd with her and just let my son stay with us ( to make 4)

We were in GS 1578 on Adventure, and loved it. However, because it was such a port intensive cruise, we weren't able to spend much time in there. We splurged for it because it was an anniversary trip for just the 2 of us- no kids. I agree about the closet space. The balcony was great, but we didn't spend any time there, due to 5 port stops.

We probably won't do it again, unless we're cruising solo and get a really great deal, but honestly, I love the JS, and would be just as satisfied with that.

We had booked a D1 quad on deck 6 of Adventure, but after we boarded, our key did not work in the door of the cabin. After a visit to customer service, they told us that we had the "wrong" cabin, and we should go to 1548 instead.....when we opened that door, we realized that we had been upgraded to a GS!

quote]

We were in the same cabin! :)

Like you, we were upgraded as well. I agree that I wouldn't pay for a GS because I'm happy anywhere on the ship, and I'd still have access to the CL anyway.

We had 1252 on the Voyager this past January and loved it. It was towards the front but that never bothered us. Our balcony was twice the size as a regular balcony. We had two lounge chairs, two regular patio chairs and two patio tables and had plenty of room to walk around. The closets are behind the glass mirrored walls, along with plenty of shelves. The bathroom had a nice size tub and a double sink. You will love being in a GS and will be spoiled in a hurry. I am attaching 3 photos of our GS. I only included the door because I like the way the poster I made for my sister's birthday came out.

We have had the a grand suite twice on the Mariner, cabin 1252, for spring break cruises. The D-1 balcony was just too small for the four of us. We just loved the way the grand suite is set up, with the bar area and the two sinks in the bathroom. Plus, the balcony is 16 feet wide, with a lounger and more chairs. 1252 is up front near the elevators and one deck below the pool deck, worked out perfectly for all of us. Our daughters slept on the pull out bed at night, and there still was pleny of room. The closet space was adequate. A friend of mine had an owner's suite, so I got to take a look at it, I don't think it is worth the extra money, and will stick to grand suites in the future. Book as far in advance as possibe to get the best deal.

We were in a grand suite on the Liberty. Great cabin, but DH love to take a shower in the AM. The sides of the tub are so high that it was difficult for this 75 year old man to climb in. I always went to help him step out. There was a real danger of a fall. For this reason, he likes the JS better.

Reading this thread makes me feel like I'm walking past the Ferarri dealership, I gotta look (read), but I know I'll never have one :D

Although, I notice a large amount of retired folks posting.. no kids, no mortgage, etc etc. I hope I can afford a GS one day when I am in that situation...

Ahhhh......

We booked a Grand Suite on the Mariner this past summer, and had the time of our lives.

From the moment we arrived at the terminal got through security, and headed straight for the suite line we walked right upto the check in counter and were on board within 10 min.

If there was priority tendering or walk off we did not inquire, because we never noticed a delay.

Suite 1568, was very spacious, linen was SOFT, and the mattress was very comfy.

There were 3 robes, and 2 pairs of slippers we just asked and received the third pair.

There was a lot of glass ware at the bar, coffee press.

The large closets were spacious.

The toiletries were there (we brought our own).

Extra towels were abundant.

One lounge chair, two chairs and a table on the balcony, nice size.

Cheese tray, and chocolate platter another night.

(Ok, nothing to write home about).

Conciernage lounge nice, visited there a couple times for drinks (5-8pm.)

No flowers, ( except from my husband).

Stationary RCI 3 sheets, 2 envelopes not personalized, just RCI logo

Invite to art action (we did not go)

Very comfy pillows.

Would I do it again, yes, I liked the space, and I did feel spoiled.

Later

Archived