Helpful To Newbies - After 5,000 postings

garycarla

Thank you so much for putting together this FAQ sheet! As a first time cruiser with NCL, there are a lot of points I would not have even thought about being different from other lines.

When doing the online checkin for HAL cruises, credit card information is provided online, and I was concerned that I couldn't find where to add this information on NCL's online checkin forms. Then I found this reference in your OP:

When you board, you will be required to put something down to secure your onboard credit account, which can be set up per person. Credit card is the very best way. Debit card has some problems tied to HOLDS. If you have lots in your checking account, no problem there. Cash is fine too. I would still tie a credit card to the account if using cash. That way the last minute charges can be placed there instead of standing in line on the last day,which can be a royal pain.

Can you please verify when you register your credit card? Is it at the checkin counter prior to boarding the ship? I can't imagine NCL would want all of their passengers trooping down (or up :D) to the front desk on the first day of the cruise to do this.

Thanks very much!

Bonnie

No lines at the desk, they will put a "Hold" on debit cards, pre-authorizing the debit so if you plan on using your debit card on the trip remember some of your money will be "frozen"

thank you for the update. i see this as a hidden service fee, nothing else. i've called NCL and was told that at the check-in you can request the "service fee" to be taken off your room bill. if you don't, people get stuck with it. that's a cheap shot and just another way to make money on unsuspected tourists. i don't like it. ok, i'm done rumbling :-)

Many lines are now charging the "fee" instead of handing out the "tip" envelopes. In the USA tipping is not optional, waiters do NOT make minimum wage and they are taxed by Uncle Sam on their tips (if they get them or not)

Cruise tipping is not optional either, even before NCL added the "service charge", passengers were EXPECTED to tip, it was always clearly stated on all brochures and on daily's handed out on the cruise.

I don't know if this is your first cruise, so maybe you are unaware, but tipping is expected and ordinary on cruises. Consider the service charge as part of the price of the cruise.

It is not so easy to have the "service charge" removed, you will have to go to the front desk and give an explanation of why, NCL wants to fix whatever is making you unhappy. You could go down and tell them you just don't like the idea but since it is clearly printed in all their literature that the "service charge is required" you may not be successful.

In all honesty, NCL gives a very good deal for your money and do you really want to spend your trip looking for problems you can complain about just so you can have the "service charge" removed?

Great post, good information. Thanks, even tho I have still not been able to pre register online as yet. I know there is a thread somewhere about it and will search eventually to get the answers. According to NCL phone help, there is some kind of issue with adding a middle initial to your online profile related to Homeland Security. Anyway, great info.

They had a new policy on pool towels this year. Instead of helping yourself at the pool or checking out towels when you go ashore they provided each guest with one striped beach towel in your cabin. When you bring it to the pool or to the beach you must return it to your cabin and place it on the bathroom floor and it will be replaced with a clean one when they make up your cabin. Loose it or want to take it home with you and they cost $25 each. :eek:

Since this is your first cruise let me suggest that you not take the auto tip off your bill as soon as you board. The cruise lines put a minimum tip on your bill and it's divided between people you don't even see but, make your cruise what it is. Most cruise lines do it and there is a good reason for it. It is a base minumum tip and believe me they all earn it and then some. What my dh and I do is we see it as part of our cruise payment and then take cash to tip extra for over the top people. There are alot of over the top workers on these cruises. I am in the service industry and it makes me cringe to encounter people that don't understand this concept. I'm chalking it up to it's your first cruise and maybe you don't understand how things work. When you remove this charge you are penalizing the workers. I learned alot on all of my 3 cruises and am still learning how things work. I love these boards and have learned valuable things from here.:)

After our first cruise I found a thread somewhere that stated how much the different crew members who provided services for us on a cruise made as a monthly salary and saw how important the tips were for them. Their expenses living on the ship are low but many are sending this money back home to support their families.

Since this is your first cruise let me suggest that you not take the auto tip off your bill as soon as you board. The cruise lines put a minimum tip on your bill and it's divided between people you don't even see but, make your cruise what it is. Most cruise lines do it and there is a good reason for it. It is a base minumum tip and believe me they all earn it and then some. What my dh and I do is we see it as part of our cruise payment and then take cash to tip extra for over the top people. There are alot of over the top workers on these cruises. I am in the service industry and it makes me cringe to encounter people that don't understand this concept. I'm chalking it up to it's your first cruise and maybe you don't understand how things work. When you remove this charge you are penalizing the workers. I learned alot on all of my 3 cruises and am still learning how things work. I love these boards and have learned valuable things from here.:)

why would a cruise line add tipping fee after boarding not at the same time of booking? since this is a fixed fee it should have been added to the total initial bill. i take this as a hidden surcharge to keep the initial cost of the cabin low. bait and switch. this tipping charge is a pure salary base for the crew. do you pay such fee in hotels after you check-in? there are also hundreds of people that work for you and you don't tip them. a cruise ship is a big floating hotel. also airport staff maybe should be tipped as well after you board the plane, they would just charge your credit card after take off :-) i don't agree with this approach. if this is a salary fund, then be it and add it to the room at the time of booking. additional tipping for outstanding staff still remains at your discretion. (btw, on our last cruise on Norwegian Jewel, we had the best waiter EVER encountered! he made us feel like a billion $. tipped him well, what a service!!)

happy sailing to all.

This post was really meant to add quick FAQs for others. The subject of service fees comes up in standalone posts from time to time. I might suggest you add to those.

PS - I know I have no right to tell anyone where to post. But, the FAQ sticky at the top of this forum ran into such a long and pretty much worthless post, well.....

Actually I was referring to what if you never eat dinner in any of the main (free) dining rooms and only in specialty restaurants (cover charges)........

1) Do you still have the "general" every day tipping charge, or

2) Can you just take care of it individually each evening ??

Actually I was referring to what if you never eat dinner in any of the main (free) dining rooms and only in specialty restaurants (cover charges)........

1) Do you still have the "general" every day tipping charge, or

2) Can you just take care of it individually each evening ??

I don't see your original post, so I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to, but the $12 per day per person is split up between a lot of people, not just the waiters in the main dining rooms. It goes to your room stewards and the workers in the buffet too, and I'm sure many others, although I don't have information about who exactly gets it. Surely you won't be eating every breakfast and lunch, too, in the specialty restaurants. That fee is just part of cruising, and if you try to delete it, you should find out first who you're hurting by doing so.

I dont see that $12 a day is an awful lot to pay bearing in mind all of the people that will be waiting, cooking, cleaning, washing and entertaining you whilst you are on your vacation.

You will probably encounter the services of 25 - 30 people per day minimum without even knowing it. Think of it that you are paying around 50c for each of these employees services for a whole day.

This form of tipping I understood was standard practice and has always been that way.

Here in the UK tipping is very much for good service. I nearly always pay something (usually 10 - 15%) when dining in a restaurant. However if service is particularly bad I wont tip. By bad I generally mean rude or argumentative or extremely slow service.

Whenever I visit the states I am expected to tip 20% no matter what. We were once shouted at in a chinese restaurant in New York when I left no tip due to inedible cold food that we waited over an hour for and extremely rude staff.

12$ per day is nothing. These people on these cruise ships are paid next to nothing.

With regard to this question:

My understanding is that the $12 pp will be added to my account daily & show up as part of my "final balance"......

However: Do you still get the "vouchers" or "envelopes" ??

And, who do you give it to for dining room staff if you're not there???

With regard to this question:

My understanding is that the $12 pp will be added to my account daily & show up as part of my "final balance"......

However: Do you still get the "vouchers" or "envelopes" ??

And, who do you give it to for dining room staff if you're not there???

o like to express my verbal thanks

Personally, I much prefer not having to exchange envelopes, vouchers and such.

I do like to express my thanks, with a handshake, hugs, and mostly verbal.

Let the money exchange happen behind the scenes.

JMO

12$ per day is nothing. These people on these cruise ships are paid next to nothing.

I´ve heard and read that they are quite alright paid. At least 1500 - 2000 usd per month. It might even be tax free, not sure. They also have food, healthcare and insurances included. That is not too bad, is it? Not even for a western country. But, on the other hand, they work almost all the time. I think they deserve all the tip they can get when they do a good work.

Sorry for the OT.

I have gotten lots of great feedback about this posting. I think it is time to do an updated one to help out newbies. Before I do, is there anything YOU would add to the list or change?

Or remove!

Gary

yes the spa pass info. and a list of the charge resturants with the fee listed

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I've been searching for this info on the ncl site but can't seem to find it (which is odd) so thought someone on here would probably know. Are all the cabins on Gem air condidioned? Also, are any of the drinks free onboard ie coffee, tea, pop?

This is a fab site, I love reading it.

Hello,

I've been searching for this info on the ncl site but can't seem to find it (which is odd) so thought someone on here would probably know. Are all the cabins on Gem air condidioned? Also, are any of the drinks free onboard ie coffee, tea, pop?

Yes all are air conditioned. The free drinks are coffee, hot tea, iced tea and water all day. During breakfast OJ, Apple juice

Soda you have to pay for

Archived