Barcelona Hotel

We are going to need a hotel room in Barcelona in May for our cruise on the Ruby Princess. We will need it for one night, a Sunday and it will be for two adults. We fly in mid day on Sunday. Where should we stay? Any suggestions or recommendations? What should we do on Sunday afternoon and Monday morning before we sail away? Also what would be the best way to get to the hotel from the airport and again the hotel to the docks? We would love to spend less the $200/night but more is do able if needed. :)

We just got back from Barcelona last week. Stayed at the Hotel Pulitzer.

180 euro with free breakfast and a bottle of champagne.

Go to Trip Advisor to see the reviews. Excellent location,very clean and modern. Beautifull roof top bar as well.

Try the Hotel Continental on Las Ramblas. Cost is about $160 including tax(at current exchange rate) per night for room with a small balcony(less without the balcony) and includes a 24 hr. buffet plus bottled water, soda and beer. This hotel is very popular with cruisers. It is not a luxury hotel, but is clean with an extremely helpful staff and a very convenient location. We have friends who have stayed there and we have it booked for 2 nights before our cruise next March.

They also have a sister hotel, the Continental Palacete which is a bit more expensive, but also spoken of very favorably here on these boards and offers the same amenities.

I'll put in a vote for the Continental Palacete.

http://www.hotelcontinental.com/

Its very pink, but the place is clean and the staff are very helpful. Free buffet is handy as are the free drinks (tea, coffee, water, soda, beer, wine). Only thing against it is that you have got to get up 11 steps (in 3 flights) to the lift, so could be a problem if you have mobility issues. There is a taxi rank right outside the door, which brings us to the other part of your question. If there are only 2 of you, taxi is the way to go. Airport to most hotels in BCN will be about €40 and taxi to the port from hotel should be less than €25 ( it was €20 for us from the Palacete to port in May).

Simon

We stayed at the Hotel Claris, because we saw it on TV. Samanth Brown stayed there from the Travel channel, and when we mentioned her name, we were upgraded to a suite. It was $170 a night on hotels.com. Very nice hotel in a good area, very centrally located. Highly reccommended!!

Heres their website: http://www.derbyhotels.es/page.php?id=466

I'd stay near Las Ramblas. Enough will be open there on Sunday. And certainly Monday. Maybe take a couple routes on the HOHO bus on Monday or hit a museum if that's what you like.

Check out tripadvisor.com and look for hotels in your price range. I have found the best prices by going to the specific hotel web site and emailing them. Some hotels include taxes and a breakfast. You can hold a room with very favorable cancellation policies at most hotels.

Easy to get to most of the Las Ramblas hotels by taking the airport bus to the city center. Much cheaper than a cab. Then I'd take a cab straight to the ship. Altho you could do that cheaper too.

This site will be a help to you.

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/hotels/hotelmaps/ramblas-hotel-barcelona.html

We are staying at the Hotel Lleo in 2009.

If you want to stay away from the Las Ramblas area, the Hilton Diagonal Mar was lovely and luxurious. Great view of the sea from our window and a wonderful mall with a supermarket and restaurants behind it. The mall is closed on sunday as are the restaurants, but on Monday, it would be a great place to pick up water/soda for the cruise plus interesting spanish goodies. The hotel restaurant is open on sunday and we had a lovely breakfast there, included in the room price. The hotel was a great place to recover from the looooong flights.

I practically live on Expedia for all of my reservations and all you have to do is go there and select Barcelona, hotel only...and choose a hotel on las ramblas....great location....close to port....barri gotic right there...nothing is missing for an amazing experience...the oldest market for food and wine is there, mercat boqueria,with art outside by Joan Miro on the sidewalk...the seaport museum...many buildings by Gaudi,the Corte Ingles...the largest Sephora in the world...

Since we newly only stay one night in Barcelona (first time was 6 nights before the cruise cause there is so much to see) we look at location and price...I think we paid 125usd this year for Hotel Espana...last time was Hotel Principal...then a fabulous view of las ramblas (street activity goes on thru the night and a beer outside sets you back 11usd!) it was next to the LICEU and I always forget what it is called.........great locations, great prices...

Could you possibly give me the room numbers of some good rooms at the Continental Placete. Just need a room for two for Nov. 2009.

Thanks,

Gypsealin

Assuming you are not staying in one of the two 'suites', I think ours was one of the biggest 'ordinary' rooms. No. 123, just beside the reception desk, but no noise from there. It looks out to the road junction in front of the hotel, but again not noisy. I believe some of the 'outside' rooms have the view of a brick wall painted to look like a view. I'd certainly recommend 123.

Simon

Archived