Is Wi-Fi Access Free on the Crown?

SnorkelMoose

Hey!

I will be crusing on the Crown Princess in two weeks, and I was planning to bring my Macbook with me to do homework for a grad school class. I have airport express, which allows me to tap into any wireless network. Has anyone used the Wi-fi offered by Princess, and is it free?

Thanks!

Hey!

I will be crusing on the Crown Princess in two weeks, and I was planning to bring my Macbook with me to do homework for a grad school class. I have airport express, which allows me to tap into any wireless network. Has anyone used the Wi-fi offered by Princess, and is it free?

Thanks!

No, it is not free as it is in places like airports. You must pay the going rate for internet access. And remember, the speed is very slow. Ships use a satellite feed for access, therefore it is charged for without question and you can't just log in without paying for it, it isn't possible.

No free access. Internet cannection costs 75 cents/minute for both wifi and in the internet cafe. Princess offers packages that bring down the cost per minute. On some ships, the packages are not yet available with wifi.

Hey!

Thanks!

I took my Mac on the Emerald in May and the charge was 55 cents a minute for wireless. It was 75 cents for their computers. The Satellite feed is slow, but works much faster on your own laptop than the ships computers.

It is my understanding that the internet is not free to those levels of Captain's Circle level of member ship but that you receive a certain amount of credit. What ever you spend above that credit, you pay for.

Are you charged per minute of using the computer, or just active time uploading/downloading internet? (I.E., can I check my email, write replies, and then batch send... or does the time reading and replying still cost?)

Also, can you use their computers to move media from your digital camera to a portable hard-drive? Or do they only allow you to use the internet and not plug anything in?

Thanks,

TWC

You are charged by the minute. Also, you are not allowed to open attachments and visit certain websites like Facebook unless you are using your own laptop in order to ward off any viruses infecting the ship's computers.

No, you are not permitted to download pictures on their computers. You can, however, bring your memory card to the ships photo dept. and they will burn a CD of your photos for you. I believe the fee is $9.95 for this process.

Pamela

Archived