Cave Tubing in Belize?

DEB010

just kind of wondering ....

regarding the tubing in Belize

if the river water is cold in September ...

whats it like in January ?

going to be in Belize ( Valor ) Jan 11 th ...

and looking for something to do ...

Go Michigan !!!

• 2 weeks later...

Scout and Jeff,

I did cave tubing with Reggies in September with our two girls, ages 5 and 10. We hired the extra guide. It was well worth it. The guide is solely dedicated to the kids, which gives you peace of mind since floating in the caves, it could be easy to lose track of where they might be at any given moment. Our guide's name was Sharema, a lovely Belizian college student. She hooked her feet under the kids tubes and was attached to them the entire trip. It was a lot of fun, the girls loved her and we had no worries. Hope this helps.

Susan

I've come across a Belize tour company website: www.cave-tubing.com sponsored by M&R tours that looks like a good outfit. Cave tubing is advertised at $40 pp and when clicking the "about us" link...pics of their vans (new with interior/exterior shots).

Wondering if anyone has any inside knowledge, or experience with them. Tour guide's name is Yhony Rosado.

and I was going to write more on this later. Yhony had gone ahead with a tour group and we went with Tim (who did a very good job) - but I would inquire about the following before booking....

- Ask how long you will have to wait for people from another ship (or your own ship) before leaving on the tour. We waited for over 25 minutes for a group that didn't show up and the bus operator seemed more concerned about them than he did us (and we were the ones who showed up!)

- Ask if the people you are going with don't show up - will he still take you in the van in the pictues?! (more on that later!)

It is a 37 mile drive out to the caves one way (and one person in another message board expressed concerned that if you broke down would someone else pick you up - I'm not so sure they would - they make it very clear if you are not on THEIR tour, too bad!) The last 5 miles are very, very bumpy and rocky so it certainly must destroy a lot of shocks and tires!

I enjoyed the cave tubing a lot but we only did one cave and the river part. I would ask to do the "extra cave" so you get in at least two caves and maybe skip lunch or wait and do lunch back in town. More info later on our tour.

Hike in was on a graded path. Old tennis sneakers or water teva style sandals are best for support. Aqua or water shoes do not give enought support and can slip off. It is shaded and depending on the temperature can be warm but the trek is not too steep or hard. The guides will stop for a breather. I am asmatic an really was concerned too about the walk. I keep gum in my mouth for moisture. The water temp was mild not cold and when in the caves of course it is much cooler. Paddling can be extensive due to water levels. Chaffing on the underarms can be less by wearing a t-shirt. Leave your clothes and valuables on the van.

I agree about having a guide assigned to young children. Reggie would not take children under 12 when we went a few years ago. I had to help one 12 year old who's parents were long gone floating down the river not even concerned about their little girl. Everyone will have a better time if the kids are safe and happy. They will look forward to jumping into the tubes and crossing the river.

Bon Voyage

Bon Voyage

We booked with X-Stream last year and Richard was great. There were only 10 in our group which we liked, we could all stay together with our guide.

If we do this again, we'll book with Richard again.

We did this tour with Wet n Wild in November. It was Thanksgiving week and there were alot of people doing the tour that day. Our group had 13 people, not a bad number, but a larger group in my opinion. Junior was our guide. He had a lot of good info during the drive there.

The walk to the caves is not strenuous but we had a drizzly day and there were areas that were more difficult to manage. I nice walk just the same, but bring the bug spray!

The river is great, the caves amazing, but not always easy to navigate. We also linked feet under the tube infront which helps. Another tip, wear an OLD tee shirt. The tubes permanently stained the ones we wore. It also prevents the rubbing and chaffing.

I found it hard to hear Junior in the caves, many others there, and our chain ran long. Asking about the size of the group is important.

Wet n Wild answered my questions prior to the trip (via email) and were prompt for the tour. Time can REALLY be an issue if you are not in port long.

It seems to me that there are many good companies that provide good service for this tour. It is also clear that some tours self promote in order to compete. Do your research. Check other posts by posters and see if the talk about anything else besides "the tour the took". Buyer beware. But this is a wonderful experience and a memory my family and I will have to enjoy for a long time.

Elaine

Archived