Group Cruise Dilemma Due to Economy

cyberfilly

I've been planning to coordinate a 7-night group "family and friends" cruise for Thanksgiving 2009. I've found a great TA offering great group prices, great service, and no cancellation or change fees at all (except the normal ones imposed by Princess... got it in writing!!). Everything's in order to promote it to my friends and family, but I feel guilty asking people to spend money, even though it's a year out and the TA is offering reduced deposits. The longer we wait, the higher the chance of group space not being available and of course prices will likely rise.

So my question is: promote the cruise to family and friends or not? Big dilemma! :confused:

I have been asked to organize a "family" get together for next year. Money be darned, some things are more important. While the outlook may be dim for some, what's the worst that can happen? they say no thanks...............................go for it.

Is there a minimum number of people that you need in order to get the group rate? If so, what happens if the number of people cruising falls below that number?

Princess considers a group to be 16 berths or more. Not sure about what happens to the cost.

I've been planning to coordinate a 7-night group "family and friends" cruise for Thanksgiving 2009. I've found a great TA offering great group prices, great service, and no cancellation or change fees at all (except the normal ones imposed by Princess... got it in writing!!). Everything's in order to promote it to my friends and family, but I feel guilty asking people to spend money, even though it's a year out and the TA is offering reduced deposits. The longer we wait, the higher the chance of group space not being available and of course prices will likely rise.

So my question is: promote the cruise to family and friends or not? Big dilemma! :confused:

Sure, let them decide...

Nita

Sure, let them decide...

You will need 8 cabins to constitute a group unless your TA is already holding gruop space or blocked space. That might be the situration.

Nita

It is one thing to present this to your family as something they might want to consider, but I think it would be a mistake to pressure them to go because you do not know what their individual economic situation is - or will be. Present the package to several more than the minimum you need to qualify for the group rate so you allow for some saying "no, thank you"

Princess considers a group to be 16 berths or more. Not sure about what happens to the cost.

16 berths== double capacity only- (8 cabins) the people putting 3 and 4 in a cabin those 3/4 dont count.

You really want to check about what happens to the price if you dont sell 8 cabins. You might be able to keep the price but lose the amenities. But this is a holiday sailing and when final payment comes you dont want to find that you owe a lot more then you figured on.

In 2007 we cruised to Alaska with 22 (4 to 80 years old) family & extended family members. I would mention it to all the people you feel would be interested. Some will say no immediately and some that you didn't think would go jump on the idea. Some people that went with us loved the idea of not having to cruise by themselves. (Especially 1st timers) My brother and I were thanked over and over again. They said all they had to do was show up.

It is great that you found a great TA, because the nice thing is you give your family your TA's phone # and let them do all of the arrangements for room choices and airlines. This takes pressure off you. Your job is to keep the excitement contagious. There was alot of talk about excursions as most of us wanted to do this together.

We are taking a 2nd Alaska cruise in 2009 and so far there are 20 friends

and family going. (This time it is all adults) We have done the same thing as before. We are extending invitations to all we feel would like to go.

If you are not able to take advantage of the group rate I would still consider going. Maybe it would be a change in room choice to make up the difference. Just remember your room does not make your cruise. It is the total picture. :)

I would say go for it. Just present it to the family and friends - is it possible to have them all together when you do this, at least a majority of them. Tell them they can opt out at anytime before final payment, I am not sure if there are any drop dead dates in between.

This way, they can sign up if they wish, and get their money back if the bottom falls out.:eek: Right now we have 2 future cruises booked and we have until August 2009 to cancel the first one.

Another thought is to mention this could be their Christmas present to each other for 2008. You didn't mention ship, where it leaves from, would there be airfare involved, plus many cruisers go to the Port a night ahead which is a hotel expense also. Just things to consider.

Have these people asked you to do the coordination for this. If so, they must be aware that you are working on it. Present the package, you may be surprised at the good outcome:)

We are sailing in 3 weeks with 8 friends and family. We had started this back in December 2006. Since they have never sailed before, and me and my DH sail every year, I was assigned the "cruise director", so to speak. I had set up a savings account, and everyone sent me monthly payments. That way, they could all enjoy the benefits of not having to come up with the money all at once. I had figured in everything, including cruise fare, airfare (I guessed on this one), overnight stay in FLL and even the money spent onboard, including tip. This worked out very well, as now, everything is paid for, and they have nothing to worry about except showing up at the airport on time. It was a lot of planning on my part, and I did use a land based TA (which I normally never do). But, I figured to let them do most of the work. Maybe this could work for you, if you're willing to take on the responsibility. It's not such a shock to have to come up with the money at one time.

We are sailing in 3 weeks with 8 friends and family. We had started this back in December 2006. Since they have never sailed before, and me and my DH sail every year, I was assigned the "cruise director", so to speak. I had set up a savings account, and everyone sent me monthly payments. .

No way would I want to be responsible for other peoples money. The agent should work with you to take the money on an individual cabins that are set up within the group. And yes, theyshould take weekly, monthly or any other kind of arrangements.

I

16 berths== double capacity only- (8 cabins) the people putting 3 and 4 in a cabin those 3/4 dont count.

You really want to check about what happens to the price if you dont sell 8 cabins. You might be able to keep the price but lose the amenities. But this is a holiday sailing and when final payment comes you dont want to find that you owe a lot more then you figured on.

Once group space is blocked even if only one cabin sell the price and amenities are honored by Princess.

Once group space is blocked even if only one cabin sell the price and amenities are honored by Princess.

Guess would depend on the agency- Both groups on princess I was told I would lose amenities but keep the price

Another thought is to mention this could be their Christmas present to each other for 2008. You didn't mention ship, where it leaves from, would there be airfare involved, plus many cruisers go to the Port a night ahead which is a hotel expense also. Just things to consider.

Have these people asked you to do the coordination for this. If so, they must be aware that you are working on it. Present the package, you may be surprised at the good outcome:)

Northender - Excellent suggestion on the "Christmas present" idea. BTW, it's for Thanksgiving 2009.

I only wish I had been asked to coordinate the cruise! That would make presenting and promoting the cruise EASY!

Once you have a group booked or being held, Princess will honor the rate no matter how few cabins are sold ...however there is a minimum of 5 cabins necessary for the Group Amenity Program. And there is a date by which the GAP points must be assigned, miss that date and they are gone....The date is typically the same as the final payment date .

Hope this helps. I say go with it, and let those that book and do nto have ot cancel come and have fun..And feel for them that book and have to cancel...it is a tough economy.

Most agents will work with you on this.

Archived