Cruising from Galveston-need airport information

Hi, just booked the Voyager, leaving Galveston on Sunday April 5th. We are coming from Philadelphia and thought we would go one day earlier. Which airport would you suggest booking, George Bush airport or Hobby and any suggestions on hotels in either location. Should we go a day earlier or wait until day of? Any help offered is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Whichever one will give you the best flights. If you can get a non-stop into Hobby that would be my choice, otherwise I would opt for a non-stop into IAH even though it is 1.5 hours away from Galveston vs. Hobby being 45 minutes away from Galveston.

Definitely fly in the day before your cruise. I suggest you stay at a Galveston hotel such as Moody Gardens. I don't believe any hotel in Galveston is currently taking reservations, but Moody Gardens is open and will begin taking reservations Oct. 15 according to their website. For a less expensive hotel, you might try Best Western on Seawall Blvd. They are due to open again also on Oct. 15. You can schedule a shuttle ride from either airport to your Galveston hotel and back to the airport after your cruise with Galvestion Limo. We have used thier service and found them very reliable. Web site is galvestonlimousineservice.com/.

Always go a day early. It's just the smart thing to do. Having lived in Houston for a thankfully short time, I can tell you that previous posters are dead on, fly in to Hobby.

With luck Galveston will be well enough recovered from Ike by your travel date that you can spend a little time there.

Should we go a day earlier?

Definitely go a day ahead...there is lots to do in the Houston-Galveston area...also with flights these days and the distance to the port it is a safer bet all the way around.

Enjoy the cruise!!!

Hi, just booked the Voyager, leaving Galveston on Sunday April 5th. We are coming from Philadelphia and thought we would go one day earlier. Which airport would you suggest booking, George Bush airport or Hobby and any suggestions on hotels in either location. Should we go a day earlier or wait until day of? Any help offered is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Southwest flys into Hobby. All other airlines use IAH. The IAH terminals are much nicer than Hobby. If you can't find a hotel on the island due to hurricane Ike, look in the Clear Lake area near the space flight center. We drive of course and always stay in the Clear Lake area as it is cheaper and not infested with tourists. There are a lot of reasonable priced restaurants in the area.

Archived