Why bother with rum runners?

If it wee me and your taking ant alcohl in bags you have to check the bags not carry them thru x-ray they will check it fir sure. If you take a 12 pk of water or soda still in the shrink wrap just take your time and pull out a few bottles and then take the center ones and fill with what you want.

And then replace all of the bottles and make sure they are snug in the plastic. If not check it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey. I', not looking at bringing that much booze on my next cruise with Royal Caribbean. I was thinking to buy a small plastic bottle like 8 oz or so and put it in with my toiletries...

Will they be able to tell then?

anyone ever tried that?

I smuggle on booze every cruise. 20+ cruises and have never been caught. I just load down an entire suitcase with whatever I am bringing and have it all bubble-wrapped and hand it to the porter. This time it is 3 bottles of wine, a bottle of liquor, one mixer, two twelve packs of beer, and either 1-2 twelve packs of soda. Might need 2 suitcases for this amount of stuff.

HAHAHA YES!! you are my hero..! I love seeing the reactions to some of the people that are so uptight.. I say it is your cruise.. if you want to bring on 12 suit cases of alcohol then DO IT!!;)

As for me I have not decided yet but I think I will do rum runners..because I am not as awesome as you and I am a huge chicken

• 3 weeks later...
I always cruise in a group of 4. What we do is get the 1 liter monster energy drinks 4-packs. And we have mastered taking the cap off without braking the seal. We empty the liquid, fill them with whatever we want and put the cap back on. Since they are carbonated bevarages still sealed. They cant open it and each of us brings 2 of the 4packs so do the math of how many liters of alcohol and premade chocolate cake shots we end up with????

Sounds yummy-how do you make the chocolate cake shots?

From an experienced bartender...

Chocolate Cake shot recipe

Equal parts VANILLA Vodka (use Smirnoff), and Hazlenut Liquor (DeKuyper).

Chill and strain into a shot glass

Serve with a piece of lemon with sugar on top

Bite the "meat" from the lemon, chew, do the shot

Swallow it ALL at the same time.

Tastes just like a piece of Chocolate Cake.

CHEERS!

I always cruise in a group of 4. What we do is get the 1 liter monster energy drinks 4-packs. And we have mastered taking the cap off without braking the seal. We empty the liquid, fill them with whatever we want and put the cap back on. Since they are carbonated bevarages still sealed. They cant open it and each of us brings 2 of the 4packs so do the math of how many liters of alcohol and premade chocolate cake shots we end up with???? We bring the 4 packs in our carry on and pass it right thru their faces.......and a lot of it. PLENTY OF BOOZE FOR US AND THE LOVELY LADIES WE MEET ONBOARD.

By the way, we are in our mid 20's and we cruise with RCCL.

I'm also mid....oh wait...late 20's now, and will be using this idea. Genius!

I always cruise in a group of 4. What we do is get the 1 liter monster energy drinks 4-packs. And we have mastered taking the cap off without braking the seal. We empty the liquid, fill them with whatever we want and put the cap back on. Since they are carbonated bevarages still sealed. They cant open it and each of us brings 2 of the 4packs so do the math of how many liters of alcohol and premade chocolate cake shots we end up with???? We bring the 4 packs in our carry on and pass it right thru their faces.......and a lot of it. PLENTY OF BOOZE FOR US AND THE LOVELY LADIES WE MEET ONBOARD.

By the way, we are in our mid 20's and we cruise with RCCL.

Would you please give us all some directions on how you are able to fet the cap off without breaking the seal? What sort of instrument or procedure do you use? Going to Walmart tomorrow and pick some up to practice on. :eek:;):D

Just came back from a 10 day Panama canal cruise.

Packed 2 large bottles of vodka in our checked bags,

(wrapped in bubble wrap and plastic bags) This is my

4th cruise that I've byob'd and I've NEVER had a problem.

We also met lots of other people on the ship that brought

their own booze. So don't waste your money on the rum runners : )

Its no big deal.

Been bringing my own for the past three and intend on getting a little more rebelious on our fourth. We always put our liquor in older shampoo, mouthwash, or baby oil containers (rinsed out at least 25 times) It makes it look inconspicious and airplane bottles also work well. *PROTIP* If your going on a shore excursion that serves free beer/drinks etc..ask them to fill up your camelbak =) it may cost you a five spot to make them do it but mine holds about seven beers. It serves as a backpack to carry my stuff,keeps beer cold for a little over a hour, and you can walk on the ship with it no problem. Seems weird but you would be amazed how fast you can down it drinking through a straw.

• 1 month later...
Been bringing my own for the past three and intend on getting a little more rebelious on our fourth. We always put our liquor in older shampoo, mouthwash, or baby oil containers (rinsed out at least 25 times) It makes it look inconspicious and airplane bottles also work well. *PROTIP* If your going on a shore excursion that serves free beer/drinks etc..ask them to fill up your camelbak =) it may cost you a five spot to make them do it but mine holds about seven beers. It serves as a backpack to carry my stuff,keeps beer cold for a little over a hour, and you can walk on the ship with it no problem. Seems weird but you would be amazed how fast you can down it drinking through a straw.

i love this...as we always take our backpack/camelpak with us...so now i'll just have them fill up my pak with the fruity punch whatever drink it is that i love lol.

I have rum runners for use at the pool or out in port. But I have packed a ROLLING COOLER on RCCL and Carnival and both times got it delivered to room intact everytime! Our cooler is loaded with case of bottled beer, juice boxes for the kids, rum, water, limes (pre-cut and baggied) and 2 wine boxes with box removed to save on space. We just duct tape lid down (around entire cooler) a couple of times and slap a luggage tag on it and check it with porter. The cooler has always come to our room unopened and with its entire contents, no problem. I give room steward the first day an extra $20 and ask her to fill cooler daily. I can't tell you how many times we saw her that week rolling our cooler down the hall to her ice machine station to fill it keeping our goodies ICE COLD all week!

PS- I have done this for our springbreak cruises and the week before Christmas cruises so it doesn't seem to matter what time of year we do it. It just works!

Life is good!

Good Luck!

Just came back from a 10 day Panama canal cruise.

Packed 2 large bottles of vodka in our checked bags,

(wrapped in bubble wrap and plastic bags) This is my

4th cruise that I've byob'd and I've NEVER had a problem.

We also met lots of other people on the ship that brought

their own booze. So don't waste your money on the rum runners : )

Its no big deal.

Actually, it is a big deal. It depends on the time of year as well as length of the cruise as to how well they scan luggage. I still prefer to pack my rumrunners as they travel well. They are so cheap, the cost is negligible.

So, this is January and you just returned from a 10 day canal cruise? Yes, this one is off the booze demographic.....LOL! However, I wouldn't advise packing any bottles on a one week spring break cruise if you are in your 20's!

We will be on Princess for spring break. I usually put 2 12-pack Coronas, 12-pack Diet Coke, and bottle of rum in my bag that I wheel on with me. In the past, I have had no problems. Do you think the crackdown during spring break cruises will include 50+ year olds, or will they target the younger passengers?

I pack light with my smuggled booze in the checked luggage, I pack enough to get to the first port and reload my room stock from shops on shore. I always carry a backpack, I load what I want for the rest of the cruise in the back pack. I carry a bottle for the booze check in desk. They have never checked or said anything about whats in the back pack. Its a reverse bait and switch

I'm a rum drinker and like so many here just want to save a few bucks while I'm sitting by the pool. I fully intend to donate plenty of money to the ship bars as well. As others have said, they're entitle to make a bit, but I am going to try and save a bit too.

So my idea:

Buy a 12-pack of ginger-ale (since it's a similar color) in one of the cardboard "fridge packs" and open the box carefully. Empty (drink) at least 8 of them and leave at least 4 sealed. Refill the empty ones with rum. Put two bottles back in the box, then the rum bottles, and lastly the last 2 sealed bottles. Finally, use some cheap glue and glue the box back shut. Add to checked bag and grab a drink at the bar while your bag is being sent to your room.

End result: They probably wont even check the 12-pack. If they do, they will probably see the box is sealed and pass it by. If they do have the nerve to open the sealed box, they'll see sealed bottles and pass it on.

Is it overkill? Perhaps. But this is my first cruise and if I screw it up my wife will never let me live it down, so 10 minutes glueing a box is worth it for me.

So, friends, please poke holes in my plan so that I might better it.

I have tried the vodka in the mouthwash bottle. It made it on a Carnival Cruise, but it was undrinkable. I think we left the bottle on the boat. My last cruise, I took 2 plastic bottles of vodka and a boxed wine. All made it through. One bottle was placed in a ziplock bag and that bag was placed in a ziplock bag with my underwire-bras. Maybe all the wire/plastic threw the scanners off ;). This cruise, I am going to try the rum runner. Watch, I'll probably get caught.

Seems pretty good to me but work than necessary. I tried this and it worked:

-Buy large and medium listerine bottles (original flavor)

-Empty medium listerine bottle (or store someplace else)

-Fill rum in medium listerine bottle

-Take plastic seal from large bottle, carely place around medium bottle top, use hair dryer to "shrink warp"

-enjoy on ship

Alternatively, rum runners/platypus pouches filled and put into baggy cargo pants pockets works well.

I'm a rum drinker and like so many here just want to save a few bucks while I'm sitting by the pool. I fully intend to donate plenty of money to the ship bars as well. As others have said, they're entitle to make a bit, but I am going to try and save a bit too.

So my idea:

Buy a 12-pack of ginger-ale (since it's a similar color) in one of the cardboard "fridge packs" and open the box carefully. Empty (drink) at least 8 of them and leave at least 4 sealed. Refill the empty ones with rum. Put two bottles back in the box, then the rum bottles, and lastly the last 2 sealed bottles. Finally, use some cheap glue and glue the box back shut. Add to checked bag and grab a drink at the bar while your bag is being sent to your room.

End result: They probably wont even check the 12-pack. If they do, they will probably see the box is sealed and pass it by. If they do have the nerve to open the sealed box, they'll see sealed bottles and pass it on.

Is it overkill? Perhaps. But this is my first cruise and if I screw it up my wife will never let me live it down, so 10 minutes glueing a box is worth it for me.

So, friends, please poke holes in my plan so that I might better it.

You don't need to go to all the trouble on Princess!!!:eek: We usually take several bottles of wine, bottle of rum, case of beer, case of coke or pepsi, and a flat of water. Never had a problem in my 14 cruises on Princess. DH usually likes to try beer from different countries so will bring those on board after being in port.

You don't need to go to all the trouble on Princess!!!:eek: We usually take several bottles of wine, bottle of rum, case of beer, case of coke or pepsi, and a flat of water. Never had a problem in my 14 cruises on Princess. DH usually likes to try beer from different countries so will bring those on board after being in port.

Exactly what I want to hear! Going on my first cruise and it's on Princess, so should I bother with rum runners or just pack the bottle of gin and rye in my checked bag?

I've heard a lot of chatter about RCCL, Carnival, HAL, and Princess. Anyone know about Celebrity? I'm cruising the last week of Feb. so it's around spring break(bit b4 if im not mistaken), and out of fort lauderdale. Ideally I'd like to bring beer on board. If not I'll get some rumrunners and stock up on vodka in my checked bag. and Celebrity allows you to being 2 bottles of wine on too, so that will come with me carry-on. But is there any convenient way to get some cans of beer on with me without having it all confiscated?

I've heard a lot of chatter about RCCL, Carnival, HAL, and Princess. Anyone know about Celebrity? I'm cruising the last week of Feb. so it's around spring break(bit b4 if im not mistaken), and out of fort lauderdale. Ideally I'd like to bring beer on board. If not I'll get some rumrunners and stock up on vodka in my checked bag. and Celebrity allows you to being 2 bottles of wine on too, so that will come with me carry-on. But is there any convenient way to get some cans of beer on with me without having it all confiscated?

They're under RCCL's umbrella. We always use the rumrunners. They have worked on Carnival, NCL, Celebrity and RCCL. Rumrunners are like dirt cheap, why would you even fill a mouthwash bottle?

• 3 weeks later...

We have never had a problem taking what we want on the cruise. Our last cruise, we unpacked soda boxes and stuffed with beer and resealed, worked great. We are one of those that take lots of soda, water and juice boxes. The baggage guys said, let me help you. Thye unzipped out luggage and put all the goodies right in. He knew we had beer, etc. Have fun! Spring Break will be crazy with everyone checkingin, so I dont think we will hav a problem. This time we will take our rolling cooler to make it easier on the room stewards and not haev the soft sided coolers leak in the room. We too have has awesome experience with the room stewart keeping our goodies chilled, just tip them and they are good.

Archived