Why bother with rum runners?

I am late to the party joining this conversation, but have some questions for you all. OK, so I am also going on Adventure of the Seas Nov 20. I have only been on Princess Alaska before and we brought our own wine and paid corkage. So what are these rumrunner things? Sounds like a boto bag? Any info is appreciated!

I am almost convinced to try the rum runners. At least a couple so that if I get caught it won't be a great loss. But I thought about splitting them up between my dh and my luggage. I am nervous, not really about getting caught, but about embarrassing my dh if I get caught. He is a straight as an arrow guy and doesn't drink or smoke and I am, not straight as an arrow. lol. It is our 12th anniversary and I want to know if they make a big scene when they catch you or what. I would hate to start an anniversary cruise on the wrong foot. lol.

What is the difference in the Rumrunners and the Plastic liquor bottles that whiskey, vodka, etc. are now sold in? It seems they would scan the same?

Technically they would scan nearly the same. The plastic of the RR is not as thick so doesn't show the outline as well. Those thicker plastic bottles will look exactly like bottles. While they will both show the liquids, the outline of the bottle is a dead give away.

Snorkelman,

A cou[ple questions, please. First; was that a three day cruise you went on?

Second; You said you drive to the port. I'm curious. What kind of truck do you drive? Is it just a half ton or is it larger?

FWIW: I don't think my little four cylinder Tacoma could handle that kind of load!:)

dh & i walked right on to the ship with our small rum runners. one was in his pocket, and 2 in my backpack....no problems.

we own 2 cruise kits....we fill them with the exception of one or two so that we can fill those in port if we want. so smuggle away, we have never had a problem.

Okay. I am so excited I got my rumrunner spring break cruise kit in the mail. I was going to get a smaller kit, but figured I could spread them out between my dh's and my luggage so if any get caught maybe all of them won't. lol. I am curious though. My trip is not until Feb. should I just put them up until January and then prepare them with the hot water or should I go ahead and do it now? Anyone have some advice?

Okay. I am so excited I got my rumrunner spring break cruise kit in the mail. I was going to get a smaller kit, but figured I could spread them out between my dh's and my luggage so if any get caught maybe all of them won't. lol. I am curious though. My trip is not until Feb. should I just put them up until January and then prepare them with the hot water or should I go ahead and do it now? Anyone have some advice?

I say prepare them now with the hot water just to be absolutely certain you don't have a defective one and that they don't leak. Then you'll be ready to go. If you wait till the last minute and then have a problem........well not good for you!

Just got back from b2b on RCCL Rhapsody and used rumrunners multiple times successfully (I had 2 pint ones, zipped into side pockets of my purse--Homeland Security actually opened a side pocket w/ it in it and didn't see it--kind of scary!). Many had their booze confiscated using bottles and even mouth wash containers etc. We also brought 2 liter bottles of Coke onboard openly at each port. The Rum plus the Coke saved a ton of money of 28 days of cruising.

I always cruise in a group of 4. What we do is get the 1 liter monster energy drinks 4-packs. And we have mastered taking the cap off without braking the seal. We empty the liquid, fill them with whatever we want and put the cap back on. Since they are carbonated bevarages still sealed. They cant open it and each of us brings 2 of the 4packs so do the math of how many liters of alcohol and premade chocolate cake shots we end up with???? We bring the 4 packs in our carry on and pass it right thru their faces.......and a lot of it. PLENTY OF BOOZE FOR US AND THE LOVELY LADIES WE MEET ONBOARD.

By the way, we are in our mid 20's and we cruise with RCCL.

I always cruise in a group of 4. What we do is get the 1 liter monster energy drinks 4-packs. And we have mastered taking the cap off without braking the seal. We empty the liquid, fill them with whatever we want and put the cap back on. Since they are carbonated bevarages still sealed. They cant open it and each of us brings 2 of the 4packs so do the math of how many liters of alcohol and premade chocolate cake shots we end up with????

Sounds yummy-how do you make the chocolate cake shots?

Its easy, just put half vodka and half hazelnut liquour. Make sure you bring packets of sugar as you take the shot like it was tequila. The lemon slices you can find the in the buffet area by the ice tea. Also make sure you bring a small shaker cuz that way you just tell the cabin steward to keep ice in your room and you can use the ice with the shaker to chill the shots and there it is, you have a bar in ur room. lol

Hope this helps

I always cruise in a group of 4. What we do is get the 1 liter monster energy drinks 4-packs. And we have mastered taking the cap off without braking the seal. We empty the liquid, fill them with whatever we want and put the cap back on. Since they are carbonated bevarages still sealed. They cant open it and each of us brings 2 of the 4packs so do the math of how many liters of alcohol and premade chocolate cake shots we end up with???? We bring the 4 packs in our carry on and pass it right thru their faces.......and a lot of it. PLENTY OF BOOZE FOR US AND THE LOVELY LADIES WE MEET ONBOARD.

By the way, we are in our mid 20's and we cruise with RCCL.

Where do i get these 1 liter monster energy bottles? they are like plastic soda bottles?

I have cruised many times on Carnival, RCCL and Celebrity and have always taken booze onboard.....lots of it....and still my bar bill is high...so I don't feel guilty at all....there are many that go onboard and don't drink etc and so they are still making $$$ off me....

The only line I got "caught" on was NCL....it was comical actually....they put a note on my door telling me I had contraband in a case and I needed to go to a certain room to open my case......I got there and told them it was probably my wine...and they nodded vigoursly (they didn't speak good english) anyway all I had in there was a boxed wine and 2 bottle of champagne wrapped in a towl....so they started scratching their heads because they couldn't see the wine.......I explained it was in the box....and they charged me $15.00 and it was a deal because the box was 3 liters, and the 2 bottles of champers were all worth way more than that......and I got to keep them.....no worries mate.....good deal....so now I always take boxed wine onboard.....there are some really good ones available....you would never know they weren't from a bottle...

Oops got carried away....sorry...probably the wine....he he..

Lee

I never thought the RR were undectable by xray. I thought the purpose was to be able to carry them on your person and not be detected as there is no metal. That would be the difference of plastic bottles that still have metal lids. Glad CCL allows a bottle of wine each, and I will admit I've accidentally packed a bottle of my favorite beverage in my checked luggage once, it made it safe and sound.

I still pay for many DODs and they're worth every penny! Just not the wine, I enjoy good wine and it's way overpriced on the ship, imo

Jarell,

I got my booze taken away last time and it was a bummer. What type of bottle or energy drinks are you talking about? I went to the store and I only found cans. I was thinking of a 12 pk of water and fill 4-5 with Vodka and a 12 pk of the smaller plastic Coke bottle and do the same with whiskey.

any ideals would be appreciated. Are you on the Granduer in Dec.? We are!

Thanks for any ideals.

Okay, so what I'm understanding here is that RR work best in checked bags on the cruise ship. We live in Florida and are just driving down to our four day cruise and I had planned to take smaller suitcases that we could carryon. Now I'm reconsidering and thinking about checking the bag.

Any thoughts on this?

Archived