What "rookie" mistakes did you learn from?

Catrin

I learned

1. To have all documents ready and waiting and in the proper order

2. You only need one pair of black silk slacks if you are a female

3. Not to buy tix to any Italian museum until you are within earshot of the port city....because the itins. change and you can't get a refund.

4. Not to expect any sympathy at all from the majority of posters, however, the ones that actually understand your issues will be very understanding.

5. Not to bother to argue with posters....they are complete strangers

I learned all this after my first Carnival cruise and before my second.

This is a great thread...I read it from start to finish. Thank you all for posting!

Our first cruise is coming up in April. Even though I discovered CC early enough (and spent way too much time at this website), I am sure we'll still make our share of mistakes...and I am OK with that (as long as everyone has a good time and stay healthy for the entire cruise.)

Cheers!

I learned

4. Not to expect any sympathy at all from the majority of posters, however, the ones that actually understand your issues will be very understanding.

5. Not to bother to argue with posters....they are complete strangers

These two statements should be committed to memory to all cruise critic members.

Cruise #2 is coming up in May... woohoo!

lessons learned from cruise #1:

1. After showering in the spa showers (with like 15 shower heads) - i will never, ever shower in the stateroom bathroom again!

2. Speaking of the spa - that steamroom sure does a great job of 'clearing the head' for the evening (after having a few drinks with lunch)

3. One more thing about the spa - apparently most men don't check it out, because the men's side was empty every time I used it. Very nice!

4. Bring more ginger pills. Ginger is the absolute BEST solution for sea-sickness. I don't know why it works, but I know that it works like a light switch - it just turns the nausea off. We brought enough for my wife and I, but ended up sharing them with some green-looking passengers. They loved em. I got the idea from a myth-busters episode - works way better than the wrist bands or even the antihistamines. It works!!

The multiple shower heads are awesome......BUT........they are not on all the ships. After discovering them on the Conquest, and then cruising again on the Conquest I was so excited for the Triumph and the Valor......but....nope....single head showers in the spa on both. I am hoping to rediscover them again on the Freedom!

The multiple shower heads are awesome......BUT........they are not on all the ships. After discovering them on the Conquest, and then cruising again on the Conquest I was so excited for the Triumph and the Valor......but....nope....single head showers in the spa on both. I am hoping to rediscover them again on the Freedom!

bummer! i'm booked for Triumph in May... was really looking forward to those showers... *sigh*

For someone REALLY prone to motion sickness, how often should you take the ginger pills? My upcoming cruise will be the first time I try ginger.

I suppose it would depend on the strength of the ginger pills.

Nice thing is, it's not bad for you to take a LOT of ginger. It's actually pretty good for you!

So, I think we took 2 or 3 pills when nausea became a problem - but it takes the ginger up to an hour to alleviate the nausea. You'll notice when it kicks in, though, because suddenly you aren't sick anymore... takes a while to work, but when it does, it DOES!

that being said, if you know you are prone to motion sickness, i would take 2 or 3 pills every 4 hours or so. Your mileage may vary. Bring more than you think you'll need; ginger is pretty cheap.

1. Don't forget something for that icky tummy. Bonine works wonders for sea sickness -- our first cruise out of Port Canaveral was the day they experienced record waves . . . o joy . .

2. The Little Woman packed CUTE high heels sandals (whatever they're called!!) to wear with her formal night outfit . . . big mistake. By the time we walked from our stateroom to the captains cocktail party, to the dining room, to the theatre, her feet were hamburger! She was miserable. SENSIBLE SHOES, girls -- you'll thank me later!!;)

Trying to do everything in the capers. Rushing from activity to activity. I was more tired when I got off the boat then I was when I got on. I never just relaxed

Our only other cruise was a Souther Caribbean on the Holiday in 01. We were on a different island everyday and I did not want to miss a thing. We did not do a lot on the ship during the day because we were exploring the islands. I think we spent at least $800 that week on excursions alone! I booked so much that I did duplicate a few...one catamaran and snorkeling adventure would have been enough in hindsite. We had the most awesome time, but I decided that on the next cruise we needed some days at sea.

Hugs,

Chelle

Don't buy any pictures until later in the cruise.

That way, you can look at them all together, compare them, and choose the best few. I used to buy the pictures all thru the week only to discover that I liked some taken later in the cruise better. I finally learned to just leave the pictures there (they won't take them away) and wait until the end of the week (usually the last sea day or last night) to compare them and only purchase the best of the best. It took me WAY too many cruises and way too much money and photos to figure that out!

They keep them til the end? I have this thing about having my pictures thrown away and as a result, I purchased $400 worth of photos. I might have bought them all! I will be more selective this time around!! Or maybe, I'll just dodge the photographer....but I am so cute!:)

Hugs,

Chelle

We used ginger pills on our last cruise and they worked great. It was the most motion I've ever felt on a cruise ship and I was okay. The vitamin store owner told me to begin taking them a day before we sailed to give them a chance to get in my system. I bought a huge bottle, about 500 of them, for about $12. It was the smallest size he had. He also mentioned that they were good for keeping your tummy calm after eating a lot of rich food (like we all do on cruise ships). We pack Immodium and Peptso Bismol for that reason, but didn't need either of them this trip. Two thumbs up for ginger tablets!

I've learned so much here! I don't cruise for a LONG time, but I look on these boards almost every day. :p

Someone mentioned that the pool is salt water. Is that true for all ships? I hate swimming in salt water. Blech.

Speaking of ginger...Just a little tid bit, when you're at home and have the stomach flu, buy an actual ginger root from the produce section of any grocery store, cut off the skin (like a carrot), cut it into cubes and boil it for about 5 minutes. Take out the cubes and drink the "tea". You'll feel better almost instantly. Like aloe, the real plant always works better.

I've learned so much here! I don't cruise for a LONG time, but I look on these boards almost every day. :p

Someone mentioned that the pool is salt water. Is that true for all ships? I hate swimming in salt water. Blech.

Speaking of ginger...Just a little tid bit, when you're at home and have the stomach flu, buy an actual ginger root from the produce section of any grocery store, cut off the skin (like a carrot), cut it into cubes and boil it for about 5 minutes. Take out the cubes and drink the "tea". You'll feel better almost instantly. Like aloe, the real plant always works better.

Thanks for the info Michelle. :)

For someone REALLY prone to motion sickness, how often should you take the ginger pills? My upcoming cruise will be the first time I try ginger.

I ended up taking 1 bonine with 2 ginger tabs in the morning and the same in the evening at dinner.

I learned from my first cruise to

-not to overpack. I had too many shoes and under garments.

-not to book anything less than a balcony room (as someone mentioned earlier). I was in my room a lot. I could help but sleep, sleep, sleep. I hated running up to the lido deck after cruising off from sail away and the ports. It was an inconvenience for me. I missed the sail away and watching the dolphins because I was trying to figure out how to get to the Lido deck after the dag blastic muster drill.

-eat more breakfast or lunch on the lido deck.

-on port days, get up earlier if I'm going to eat breakfast. The lines were a nightmare in the dining room.

-arrive earlier than what is stated. I felt so rushed getting to the ship at 1:30. I will be there no later than 10:30 from now on, even if I have to wait.

So you now fly into MCO, if it's cheaper and drive to Miami? We are talking about a fall cruise and were considering this. Sounded feasible but not sure if it was logical, timewise. Airfare is sky high, forgive the pun, right now, so I am looking at different plans to ease those costs. Thanks for your reply in advance.

Jenny

I don't know if your question has been answered but I would look into flying into Ft. Lauderdale. Not that much further from Miami and more airlines fly into it.

A piece of advice I was given by my SIL before our 1st cruise was to bring $$ in small denominations. She learned the hard way when she had to tip a porter with a $10 since that was the smallest bill they had. Yuck! On our 1st excursion in Freeport, the bartender guy actually ran out of change since so many people were paying for their drinks/food with twenties that he ended up giving us our drinks for free since we had small bills!!

Also, like someone else mentioned, start taking any motion sickness medicine BEFORE you leave and yeah, NEVER listen to the person who tells you "You won't ever be in your cabin so pick the cheapest one!" Nope, we were in our cabin A LOT and though we didn't have a balcony, having the picture window to look out was nice :D

• 2 weeks later...

Can you tell me how you worked the eloping in Grand Cayman? Looking to get married and didn't know this was a possibility. Is it legal? Please email me back at ginj74@yahoo.com. We we be cruising to Grand Cayman on the Carnival Conquest in April. Any info you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Giana

Never flush the toilet while seated, you will end up with a butt hickey and they will have to call the fire dept to get you unstuck :confused:

Fred

:Ddoes this apply no matter the size of the butt?

Archived