Signature Express Baggage Service

ackieboy

Hi!

I am sailing on the 10/25 sailing of the M/S Eurodam and was wondering if anyone knows if Signature Express Baggage Service will be available in Ft. Lauderdale. I checked with Holland America, and they said they thought so, but on their website, the Eurodam is not one of the ships listed as offering the service. Any input would be greatly appreciated as I have a 7 pm flight home the day of disembarkation, and I was hoping to meet up with some friends for the day.

Regards,

Dean

Even if the service is available on the Eurodam in Fort Lauderdale, please do not assume that you are guaranteed participation simply because you sign up for Signature Express Baggage Service.

If I recall correctly, some of the parameters for the Carib itinieraries are: passengers must be U.S. citizens traveling on a passport, flights must be to domestic U.S destinations departing no earlier than noon (which wouldn't apply to the OP), not all airlines participate in the program. I believe all of the legacies do.

Most importantly, passengers may be denied participation for reasons unknown to and beyond the control of HAL. The final decision lies with Homeland Security. Our experience: we used the service in 2006 and were denied participation in 2007 ... the only difference between those two trips was that in '07, because of whatever airline schedule-change snafu, we had booked two one-way flights rather than the round-trip ticket of the previous year. The airline and flights were identical both years.

• 2 weeks later...
Even if the service is available on the Eurodam in Fort Lauderdale, please do not assume that you are guaranteed participation simply because you sign up for Signature Express Baggage Service.

If I recall correctly, some of the parameters for the Carib itinieraries are: passengers must be U.S. citizens traveling on a passport, flights must be to domestic U.S destinations departing no earlier than noon (which wouldn't apply to the OP), not all airlines participate in the program. I believe all of the legacies do.

Most importantly, passengers may be denied participation for reasons unknown to and beyond the control of HAL. The final decision lies with Homeland Security. Our experience: we used the service in 2006 and were denied participation in 2007 ... the only difference between those two trips was that in '07, because of whatever airline schedule-change snafu, we had booked two one-way flights rather than the round-trip ticket of the previous year. The airline and flights were identical both years.

How and when do you sign up for the program?

How and when do you sign up for the program?

After boarding - there will a form in the cabin.

Thanks!

So you will not know if you are denied until after you get onboard....On HAL's website they say that you can only check 2 bags. Is that per person or for the entire party? And is the price $16 per person or per cabin?

The price was per person, and the baggage limit was also per person - 4 between the 2 of you then. It's a wonderful service if you get accepted. We put our bags out in the hallway as instructed, and didn't see them again till Chicago. Way to go, HAL!

We will be using part 1 of this service Oct. 15th. So yes, It seems that this service is offered in Ft. Lauderdale. We are using the service both ways ie: From the airport to the ship & from the ship to the airport. Hope this helps.

Judy

At Fort Lauderdale airport you cannot check your bags until inside three hours of the flight so there you sit waiting at the airport babysitting your bags or making some arrangement for it. Interesting thing is that this service now makes the later flights (cheaper flights) far more attractive. Leave the ship, spend a few hours wandering around Fort Lauderdale without luggage and simply arrive at the airport a couple hours before your flight. Well worth the money.:)

Thanks!

So you will not know if you are denied until after you get onboard....On HAL's website they say that you can only check 2 bags. Is that per person or for the entire party? And is the price $16 per person or per cabin?

Actually, we were notified after dinner our last evening on board that we'd been denied participation.

A couple of days into the cruise, you will receive a form in your stateroom to complete if you would like to participate, asssuming you meet all the parameters. I see from other posts that your flight departure is too early ... but, perhaps on your next cruise, the service will be available to you.

We will be using part 1 of this service Oct. 15th. So yes, It seems that this service is offered in Ft. Lauderdale. We are using the service both ways ie: From the airport to the ship & from the ship to the airport. Hope this helps.

Judy

Sounds like you purchased HAL transfers airport/pier and pier/airport. The Express Baggage Service in this thread is available only at the end of your trip, and it involves a contractor checking you in for your flight, priinting your boarding pass, and placing bag checks on your luggage and taking it off your hands after you claim it in the terminal and go thru Customs and Immigration.

Archived