DCL vs NCL Baltics

perthgirl

Hi - we are down to book with DCL if they announce the Baltic trip in July 2010 - but I'm guessing it will be expensive! My DD will be 13 and while we enjoyed Disney more than Carnival (we did Med last year) the big question for us will be is it worth the difference? eg I see NCL has a 2009 12 day Baltic which looks like the same itinerary rumoured for around $1200 USD (per person, inside cabin). I can't imagine Disney being anywhere close to that. Given it will also cost us over $2000 per person for airfares I am sure you understand the need for us to make the right decision!

Anyone travelled NCL and can give me an opinion (I know, it depends on what we want etc but your views still appreciated!)

You said the 2009 price on NCL is "rumored" to be $1200/pp? Go to NCL's site and get a definite price with taxes and fuel supplement. I've seen prices come down for some 2009 Europe cruises that haven't been selling well, so it's hard to tell what NCL's prices were when bookings first opened, or where they will start when 2010 itineraries are released.

DCL's prices for the MED in 2007 started at around $2400/pp. I have no idea what their prices will be for Baltic cruises, but you can be pretty sure they won't have the least expensive Baltic cruises in 2010! My personal feeling about Europe cruises is that they are very port intensive, and you don't have that much free time to enjoy the Disney features that you pay more for.

You said the 2009 price on NCL is "rumored" to be $1200/pp? Go to NCL's site and get a definite price with taxes and fuel supplement. I've seen prices come down for some 2009 Europe cruises that haven't been selling well, so it's hard to tell what NCL's prices were when bookings first opened, or where they will start when 2010 itineraries are released.

DCL's prices for the MED in 2007 started at around $2400/pp. I have no idea what their prices will be for Baltic cruises, but you can be pretty sure they won't have the least expensive Baltic cruises in 2010! My personal feeling about Europe cruises is that they are very port intensive, and you don't have that much free time to enjoy the Disney features that you pay more for.

The OP said the 'rumored Baltics cruiseds' for DCL, not that NCL's price is rumored to start at $1200.00. I had to reread the OP's post after reading your response.

We did a 12 day Baltics cruise with Carnival this past summer and enjoyed the ports very much. We would have liked to have been on a DCL ship once onboard since we got bored very quickly on Carnival. IMHO it would be worth the premium to go on DCL for the ship, we had 4 sea days and a couple of early onboard times from port. So while it was port extensive, it was also a lot of ship time to be bored.

I have the same dilemma as that will be our trip in 2010. I've been on 11 cruises, 4 on NCL with the last 3 on Pride of America in 2006 to Hawaii, Spirit in 2007 to Carib., and Gem to Meditteranean in 2008.

We went on DCL Wonder in 2007 and have Magic planned in Jan. 2009. Our kids will be 11 and 7 in 2010. They are generally pretty easy going and have enjoyed the kids clubs, pools, foods, etc. very much on both DCL and NCL.

The Freestyle is very nice as you can go to dinner at any time when the several free or specialty restaurants are open (generally like 5p-10:30p). This makes things much less hectic and not having to revolve your evening around a set dinner time.

DCL certainly takes better care of their ships, has (IMO) overall a better quality of food, and the service is (IMO) overall better. Disney also has a self serve laundry (not all NCL ships do) and this makes a difference on a longer cruise especially with kids. Disney also lets you bring your own alcohol on board.

A big part of the reason we are taking Magic in 2009 is due to these factors plus the DCL private island is (IMO) much better than any other cruise line private island I've ever seen.

For us it will come down to the pricing/value differential. The other thing to note is that NCL has had their newest ships in Europe this past summer. IMO, you will see a lot of trivial complaints on the NCL board, but most of these are statements of opinion. Overall (IMO) NCL offers a very good value for the price.

You always have the choice of doing a trial on NCL for a few nights in 2009!

The 2010 summer NCL Eurpoe schedules are not yet out, so it will be interesting to see what ships are going where. I theorize some of this is due to the fate of the F3 ship(s) and what will happen to them as far as either coming on-line or not.

Good luck.

Thanks for everyone's comments - in the end we are setting a budget and if the DCL is over that then we don't do it.

We enjoyed Carnival when we were on it around the Med last year somewhat but the service and quality just wasn't what we really wanted. I know you pay for what you get but..... Also as an 'adult' ship the entertainment was at times a little scary or offensive for my daughter (she isn't easily scared, but a man who is shouting rather than speaking, using suggestive language while juggling knives and electric saws from the seats is a little more than we had bargained for! While she is a little 'over' Disney (don't shoot me!) at least they have a reputation they fight to maintain.

So roll on Monday (when my TA tells me details are likely to be released)

The OP said the 'rumored Baltics cruiseds' for DCL, not that NCL's price is rumored to start at $1200.00. I had to reread the OP's post after reading your response.

You're correct - thanks! $1200/pp for an inside cabin on a Baltic cruise is a great price. My DH and I went on Jewel of the Seas in 2005, and we paid about $1700/pp for an inside cabin (July 2-14) - booked 14 months in advance.

You're correct - thanks! $1200/pp for an inside cabin on a Baltic cruise is a great price. My DH and I went on Jewel of the Seas in 2005, and we paid about $1700/pp for an inside cabin (July 2-14) - booked 14 months in advance.

How did you like having an inside cabin for a cruise that long? Just trying to figure out what kind of cabin we want to book if DCL does go to the Baltics in 2010.

How did you like having an inside cabin for a cruise that long? Just trying to figure out what kind of cabin we want to book if DCL does go to the Baltics in 2010.

i did dcls last two aug repo in 07 and 08 and i had a cat 11. im in my room to sleep and get ready in the morning of course and get ready before dinner. my first cruise was a short 7 night cruise cat 5. it was nice but the cruise was way too short. i will rather have an inside stateroom and a longer cruise than a short cruise with a verandah. some people can afford a long cruise and a verandah i cannot. i can only have one or the other and i much rather have a longer cruise.

Just saw Disney's prices - they want over $3600 per person in a cat 11! I can get a suite for that at Carnival (not that I would - Europe is so port intensive the only reason we were in our rooms was to either sleep or dress). While I know the quality is better - is it really 3x better? And when I add over $2000 per person for airfares plus accomodation in London before the trip I would be talking $20000 for 3 people. I guess Disney is confident they can get the passengers but unfortunately they won't be getting us - just too rich for our blood

Sorry - I could've sworn I answered this already! I don't mind an inside cabin, and ours for 12 nights on Jewel of the Seas was great. We were in cat. N on deck 4, which was just a few doors down the hallway from the centrum. I loved the location of the cabin relative to where it was on the ship.

Sorry - I could've sworn I answered this already! I don't mind an inside cabin, and ours for 12 nights on Jewel of the Seas was great. We were in cat. N on deck 4, which was just a few doors down the hallway from the centrum. I loved the location of the cabin relative to where it was on the ship.

Thanks for the answer.

I'm going to be looking at a cat. 10 for one of the European cruises.

Archived