Tabyana Question - Please Help

luvmy2kids

It looks beautiful, but is there a lot of grass and plants in the water? I know you can snorkel from the beach but i was wondering how close to the shore the plants and rocks and coral start. I do not plan to snorkel and my kids and i hate to walk in plants and rocks when we go into the water.

Where we got in the water you could walk in and be on sand. A little farther out there was a lot of grass. It was deep enough that if you really hate walking on it, you could probably swim, but it's still shallow enough to stand - it was maybe only up to my waist and I'm about 5'8". After you go a little further is where the coral and rock formations are. You cannot stand in this water.

Tabyana was gorgeous and had the best snorkeling I have ever seen. I didn't want to leave and would love to go back. I highly recommend it!

I have a ton of pictures and you can see the sandy bottom and the grassy bottom and then farther out the coral/rock. (The order is kind of midway, then deep, then midway, then shallow - as I took pictures on the way out and on the way back in, if that helps show the different areas.)

http://ksquared.smugmug.com/gallery/5587081_TLRVQ#P-1-20

I hope that helps!

Thank you so much for sharing your pics, Irky! We have decided to go to Tabyana on our cruise (this month!!) and your photos just sealed the deal! :D What a beautiful island! Thank you:)

No problem! I'm glad you liked them. You'll love it. It was so gorgeous! I can't say enough about it! The pictures don't even do it justice.

Have fun on your cruise!

Hi, we really enjoyed your pictures, we were in Roatan 2005,2006 and your pictures brought back old memories.

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of camera did you use for all your photos? They were just great.

We are going again in November and think we need a new camera.

Another question, did they have guys in kayacks at Tabyana Beach? Keeping you from going too far out in the reefs?

mjb148 You Read My Mind

irky416 Wow! what amazing photos. I would also like to know what kind of camera did you use? Did you feel safe to leave your stuff (id,cash, credit card, ect.) on shore while you snorkeled? After seeing your photos we are sold on Tabyana.

luvmy2kids I hope you don't mind if I ask these questions on your thread.

I know I should search on the Belize board for the following questions. irky416 I have 3 questions about your Belize cave tubbing excursion. Did you book it with your cruiseline or on your own? How low were the ceiling in the caves? I'm a little claustriphobic. How long is the walk in the forrest before you reached the river? Did you write a review?

Thank you,

Debbie

Hi, we really enjoyed your pictures, we were in Roatan 2005,2006 and your pictures brought back old memories.

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of camera did you use for all your photos? They were just great.

We are going again in November and think we need a new camera.

Another question, did they have guys in kayacks at Tabyana Beach? Keeping you from going too far out in the reefs?

Thank you! We used the new waterproof Olympus camera. It's the Olympus Stylus 1030 SW. We weren't expecting much from the pictures, but when we got home and saw them on the computer screen we were really impressed with how they turned out. It was nice not having to worry about sand or water messing up the camera.

They did have people in kayaks at Tabyana. We (and others) went out way past them, though, so I didn't know what their purpose was.

gorgeous picures irky!! thanks so much for sharing! so i guess out to waist deep water the floor is not grassy, right? i think i've almost made up my mind that i want to go there on our cruise in two weeks!

Thank you! Yes, in this pictures you can see how the shade of the water changes. That's where the grass basically starts.

342734231_VfCvL-M.jpg

You can wade out in grass free water and then swim over the grass, so you shouldn't have to worry about it! You should definitely go. It was so gorgeous!

mjb148 You Read My Mind

irky416 Wow! what amazing photos. I would also like to know what kind of camera did you use? Did you feel safe to leave your stuff (id,cash, credit card, ect.) on shore while you snorkeled? After seeing your photos we are sold on Tabyana.

luvmy2kids I hope you don't mind if I ask these questions on your thread.

I know I should search on the Belize board for the following questions. irky416 I have 3 questions about your Belize cave tubbing excursion. Did you book it with your cruiseline or on your own? How low were the ceiling in the caves? I'm a little claustriphobic. How long is the walk in the forrest before you reached the river? Did you write a review?

Thank you,

Debbie

Thanks! We used the Olympus Stylus 1030 SW. It's waterproof and shockproof. As I posted above, we were really pleased with the way the pictures came out. All we left on the beach was our shoes, sunscreen, and towels. We have an aquapac that we put our Sail and Sign cards in and a bit of cash. My boyfriend then tied that to his shorts and we took it into the water with us. As far as we could tell, no one bothered our stuff, but I wouldn't leave that anything valuable out anywhere. Tabyana was a lot of fun!

Cavetubing we booked on our own. We went through cave-tubing . net. (Remove the spaces) Many people are put off by having to link your feet up with strangers, but after actually experiencing it, I wouldn't do it any other way. It would be scary to be floating along in the caves all by yourself. It's very dark!

The caves were huge and the ceilings were usually very high. I don't think you would feel claustrophobic in there.

We walked a little farther than the rest of the groups because we did two caves. It was maybe 35-40 minutes. It is a pretty easy walk though and mostly in the shade. I really enjoyed it and would do it again.

I did post a review on the carnival board. The Belize day review is in there somewhere. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=824306

I hop that helped!

We did Tabyana with our 7 year old in 2006 and it was perfect for us. DH and I could take turns playing in sand/staying in shallower water with her and going out further and snorkeling.

I would have to say the most gorgeous beach I have been to anywhere in the Caribbean. The only thing that comes even close is a cruise private island.

Because it is not a very developed port, it was only passengers from our ship that were there so yes, we felt very safe leaving our stuff. I think Irky's pics even show some security guys/police milling about.

We are going to Roatan next January on the Legend and were considering trying something different but after seeing these pictures, I'm not sure anything can compare!

Thanks Irky! You just sold me on going here for our excursion in 2010.. I was looking for a nice relaxing place to spend the day with a 1 year old. Beautiful! Looks like a place we will all enjoy! (The DH can snorkel while I babysit!) Please let me know if you think this would not be an appropriate place for a 1 year old for some reason, though!

Thanks Irky! You just sold me on going here for our excursion in 2010.. I was looking for a nice relaxing place to spend the day with a 1 year old. Beautiful! Looks like a place we will all enjoy! (The DH can snorkel while I babysit!) Please let me know if you think this would not be an appropriate place for a 1 year old for some reason, though!

Thanks! It definitely was relaxing. I don't see any reason why a one year old couldn't go there, although I don't have a one year old. We spent the whole time in the water, but I'm pretty certain they would have provided us with complimentary water and punch. There was a lot of shade back off the beach and a lot of chairs. The water at the edge would be perfect to just dip the babies toes because it's so calm and clear! I hope you enjoy it if you decide to go!

My DH and I really enjoyed our snorkeling in the water. There was a lot of sea life to see. My only problem with our day was the sand fleas. I had brought bug spray, but left it on the ship. Even though I laid on a lounger, I still noticed some bites on my legs. They weren't itchy, though, so even that wasn't too bad.

To Warm-Water

I recently went to Taybana Beach in Roatan (September 2008) and my BF and I went on our own. We actually where headed to find the yellow building where you can sign up to go to Fins and Flippers when a guy approached us and asked "Did we want to go to the beach"? We said yeah but had Fins in mind. He told us he would take us to the best beach on the island, do a tour, and take us shopping for $20 a piece. We couldn't pass it up. He radio'd his cousin and we got a personal guide (Oscar, age 12!!) plus all I mentioned. The tour operator gave us his card and told us to refer others to him. His name was Eric Bodden! His cousin picked us up in a Nissan Sentra and off we went. Oscar stayed with us the entire time and he is a lovely young man. I wanted to adopt him and bring him home with me. The beach was the Bomb!!! They had shops, a bar and a full restaurant/grill on the premises. Plus ladies were doing full body massages for $20 for 35 minutes. I mean you can't beat that!

I hope you go to Taybana Beach, you will NOT be disappointed!!!

Warm-Water - I just asked my BF if he kept Eric's Card and he said, He'd look for it. So if he runs across it, I'll be sure to let you know. According to these boards, there's been some upset in Roatan and a lot of ships are not going there due to this, so I hope you're one of the lucky ones and get to go there. The water at the beach is crystal clear and the beach is nice and clean. I definately want to go back!

is there shade on the beach?

I don't remember if there's shade on the beach itself, but back a bit from the main beach area there are a ton of trees where the shops are and it is very shady back there. If you need to get out of the sun, you can definitely do so!

Warm-Water, I went to my BF's Apartment to look for the card. He and I both looked but I guess he didn't keep the card, Sorry! The guy actually found us, while we were walking on the main drag looking for the house to go to Fins and Flippers. He seemed to speak to a lot of people and knew some folks by name so maybe he's popular and you can ask for him once you get to Roatan.

There is shade back a ways back from the beach area. Where the bar/grill and shops are located there's plenty of shade. But right up where the water is, it's no shade at all.

Where we got in the water you could walk in and be on sand. A little farther out there was a lot of grass. It was deep enough that if you really hate walking on it, you could probably swim, but it's still shallow enough to stand - it was maybe only up to my waist and I'm about 5'8". After you go a little further is where the coral and rock formations are. You cannot stand in this water.

Tabyana was gorgeous and had the best snorkeling I have ever seen. I didn't want to leave and would love to go back. I highly recommend it!

I have a ton of pictures and you can see the sandy bottom and the grassy bottom and then farther out the coral/rock. (The order is kind of midway, then deep, then midway, then shallow - as I took pictures on the way out and on the way back in, if that helps show the different areas.)

http://ksquared.smugmug.com/gallery/5587081_TLRVQ#P-1-20

I hope that helps!

Thank you so much for sharing. I bought my snorkle stuff last weekend and was worried that I wouldnt see much. I feel much better now and am really excited!

It looks kind of crowded (with chairs). Is it? Or can you stretch out a bit? We don't like to sit right on top of everyone. Thanks! :p

We spent all of our time in the water, but I think that there were some areas where there weren't so many chairs. The first picture with all the chairs is right where the main part is, like right where you come to the beach after being dropped off and walking past the building and stuff. We were off to the side and it seemed like there were less chairs there and way down at the other end. And when we put our stuff down one of the workers offered to move the chairs to a more open space, but we didn't care because we weren't going to be sitting there.

Someone else might be able to answer better because we didn't pay much attention to the beach except to drop our stuff off.

Archived