photo copyright

millet47

We just got back from our Alaskan cruise and want to tell you one of the best things I purchased. The copyright to the pictures we had made on board. We dressed up one night and the other we went casual. I bought one picture for $24 and I could buy the copyright of the same picture for $20. When I got home I went to Wal-mart and had copies made. I even made my Christmas Cards. In all I bought 3 pictures with the copyrights. You do have to ask about them because they do not tell you. You will recieve a disk with your picture or pictures. MAKE SURE you ask them for the letter with the copyright release on it. They had forgotten to give it to me and I had to go back and ask. I knew I couldn't just show up at Wal-mart and say print these pictures. Wal-mart put my copyright on file so I can make as many as I want. 8x10 is less than $3, 5x7 is 1.50, greeting cards are .40. Such a deal!!!!:D

we chipped in and bought the one photo for 24.00.. i took it to target and had 3 more printed up at 1.50 each..they did it right from the original..they all came out as good as the original. no.copyright or anything needed.. there was a time that the ship would tell you that the photos could not be reproduced.. not the case with all the digital equipment the photo departments in walgreens, cvs, target, walmart, etc. have ..

It depends on the store, and the person working. We've gone to make our own copies and had them hold the pic because we didn't have the release. Go somewhere else and they print it no problem. Of course, you can always use your own scanner and photo printer to print them yourself...

we chipped in and bought the one photo for 24.00.. i took it to target and had 3 more printed up at 1.50 each..they did it right from the original..they all came out as good as the original. no.copyright or anything needed.. there was a time that the ship would tell you that the photos could not be reproduced.. not the case with all the digital equipment the photo departments in walgreens, cvs, target, walmart, etc. have ..

They are supposed to ask to see a reprint/copyright release but they often don't. The copyright for photos that are taken and sold onboard cruise ships belong to the photographer. In the past, it has never really been a problem to receive permission to reprint the photos for free, so I am a bit surprised to hear that the OP had to pay extra for the reprint rights.

copyrights are important but does anyone really think that the copyright on the ship's made pictures has any real meaning? I just scan mine and send them to any on line photo printer or local drugstore(CVS, Walgreen's etc) and they never see the back of what I scan anyway.

copyrights are important but does anyone really think that the copyright on the ship's made pictures has any real meaning? I just scan mine and send them to any on line photo printer or local drugstore(CVS, Walgreen's etc) and they never see the back of what I scan anyway.

I'm surprised about this behavior, from a lawyer.

I work for a publisher...copyright is all we have. Just like you can't reverse-engineer, decompile, etc. a software program, nor can you make unauthorized copies of our output.

It doesn't matter whether you scan, transcribe, photocopy, reprint, etc. it's still a violation of copyright, until you've received reprint authorization.

Plus.... your scanner doesn't have the same resolution as the original photos, so you're losing quality doing it the illegal way.

I've also scanned mine and printed them out on my own printer but for 1.50 I let the stores do them most of the time.. I just checked the back of one of my photos (an original from the ship).. there is nothing on the back of it stating copyright.. there is a water mark of the type of paper they used ..

Just happened to stumble across this thread and am trying to understand this copyright thing. Many, many, (did I say many..?) years ago I was an aspiring photographer. Worked for a studio...went to a PPA school...blah, blah, blah....Question: When these photos are taken was it ever suggested that they might be used as an ad or promotion in any way?

The reason I ask is that there is a document (presumming it still exists) known as a Model Release. Your likeness cannot be used in any way shape or form without your express written consent to that fact. Without this signed written agreement your image belongs to you and you alone and cannot be reproduced for purposes other than those you so deem.

Bottom line is.....I'm trying to figure out this copyright thingee which, by the way, if memory serves correctly must be registered with the Library of Congress to be legal.

Nope not a lawyer here. Just a retired constuction worker. I could be all wrong as it has been 45 years since I was involved with Photography and I'm sure things have changed. Anyway....just my $.02 worth.

Just happened to stumble across this thread and am trying to understand this copyright thing. Many, many, (did I say many..?) years ago I was an aspiring photographer. Worked for a studio...went to a PPA school...blah, blah, blah....Question: When these photos are taken was it ever suggested that they might be used as an ad or promotion in any way?

The reason I ask is that there is a document (presumming it still exists) known as a Model Release. Your likeness cannot be used in any way shape or form without your express written consent to that fact. Without this signed written agreement your image belongs to you and you alone and cannot be reproduced for purposes other than those you so deem.

Bottom line is.....I'm trying to figure out this copyright thingee which, by the way, if memory serves correctly must be registered with the Library of Congress to be legal.

Nope not a lawyer here. Just a retired constuction worker. I could be all wrong as it has been 45 years since I was involved with Photography and I'm sure things have changed. Anyway....just my $.02 worth.

you "sign" a blanket release as part of the cruise contract. It says NCL can use your picture in their ads. There have been major changes in the copyright law that make some registration irrelevant. Registration is no longer needed to sue for the copyright but there does need to be some indication that the copyright has been retained(you know that circle c thingy). But no one cares if you make these pictures for your own non-commercial use. The fair use doctrine would allow one additional copy for your won use anyway and probably no one cares if its less than 10...

I'm surprised about this behavior, from a lawyer.

I work for a publisher...copyright is all we have. Just like you can't reverse-engineer, decompile, etc. a software program, nor can you make unauthorized copies of our output.

It doesn't matter whether you scan, transcribe, photocopy, reprint, etc. it's still a violation of copyright, until you've received reprint authorization.

Plus.... your scanner doesn't have the same resolution as the original photos, so you're losing quality doing it the illegal way.

with all due respect a single copy for my own personal use doesn't violate the copyright laws(fair use doctrine). My scanning is the same as the photo lab scanning. Also I actually haven't seen a copyright notice on the picture anyway.

I understand the work for hire rules and this is not a violation...

you "sign" a blanket release as part of the cruise contract. It says NCL can use your picture in their ads. There have been major changes in the copyright law that make some registration irrelevant. Registration is no longer needed to sue for the copyright but there does need to be some indication that the copyright has been retained(you know that circle c thingy). But no one cares if you make these pictures for your own non-commercial use. The fair use doctrine would allow one additional copy for your won use anyway and probably no one cares if its less than 10...

The blanket release statement was in the back of my mind. Thought that might be the case. I presume it's in the fine print no one bothers to read in their anxiety to hop on board and have that first cocktail.

Excellant response buy the way. Clarifies a lot.

But, this does not include using your likeness for advertising purposes. My wife and I have been asked to sign "model releases" for the purpose of using some of our photographs for advertising.

PE

We just got back from our Alaskan cruise and want to tell you one of the best things I purchased. The copyright to the pictures we had made on board. We dressed up one night and the other we went casual. I bought one picture for $24 and I could buy the copyright of the same picture for $20. When I got home I went to Wal-mart and had copies made. I even made my Christmas Cards. In all I bought 3 pictures with the copyrights. You do have to ask about them because they do not tell you. You will recieve a disk with your picture or pictures. MAKE SURE you ask them for the letter with the copyright release on it. They had forgotten to give it to me and I had to go back and ask. I knew I couldn't just show up at Wal-mart and say print these pictures. Wal-mart put my copyright on file so I can make as many as I want. 8x10 is less than $3, 5x7 is 1.50, greeting cards are .40. Such a deal!!!!:D

For the Jade & Sky

https://www.image.com/html/guest-postcruiseCopyrightReleaseForm.cfm

I would think you would be signing a copyright release form so they would be entitled to use your likeness for advertisements, etc.. I would never sign one of those..unless of course they paid me a handsome sum or provided free cruises :)..

I would think you would be signing a copyright release form so they would be entitled to use your likeness for advertisements, etc.. I would never sign one of those..unless of course they paid me a handsome sum or provided free cruises :)..

I think you're misinterpreting the copyright release form's purpose. Requesting the release from the cruise line gives the recipient the legal right to reproduce the photos. It has nothing to do with giving the the cruise line permission to use the photo for ads, etc. That would be a model release form, which might not even be required since smeyer has pointed out that the cruise contract has some fine print that apparently gives the cruise line permission to use your image.

"Use of Guest Likeness: The Guest consents to Carrier’s use and display of the Guest’s likeness in any video, photograph or other depiction for any purpose, commercial or otherwise,

without compensation or liability of any kind. The Guest’s consent extends to minors and other persons in the care and charge of the Guest."

this is from the NCL's contract. As I pointed out some contract clauses are unenforceable as against public policy(the cruise lines limitation on liability for physical injury caused by its negligence is an example-federal Law prohibits such a disclaimer). I don't know whether this clause is enforceable under Florida law(it probably isn't under NY law which requires a signed release) but the contract is governed by Florida State and US Federal law.

if the pictures are anything like the pictures we

received from a photography studio..the signature

of the photographer would indicate he own d the

copy rights to that picture..

no signature..no copy right..

no that's not right either. It needs something that indicates the copyright is reserved or claimed normally saying copyright retained or a c in a circle is enough with date and name is ok but the signature without more is it at best ambiguous and not a clear claim of copyright.

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ03.pdf

this describes it more and the requirement for the notice to be effective is described. Its more complicated than originally stated.

"Use of Guest Likeness: The Guest consents to Carrier’s use and display of the Guest’s likeness in any video, photograph or other depiction for any purpose, commercial or otherwise,

without compensation or liability of any kind. The Guest’s consent extends to minors and other persons in the care and charge of the Guest."

this is from the NCL's contract. As I pointed out some contract clauses are unenforceable as against public policy(the cruise lines limitation on liability for physical injury caused by its negligence is an example-federal Law prohibits such a disclaimer). I don't know whether this clause is enforceable under Florida law(it probably isn't under NY law which requires a signed release) but the contract is governed by Florida State and US Federal law.

All I can say is I would LOVE to see me on a NCL commercial without them compensating me. God as my witness I would spend every last dime I ever had sueing them and getting the best lawyer money could buy. I'm like you though.. I think this would be something hard for them to hold up in court.

with all due respect a single copy for my own personal use doesn't violate the copyright laws(fair use doctrine). My scanning is the same as the photo lab scanning. Also I actually haven't seen a copyright notice on the picture anyway.

I understand the work for hire rules and this is not a violation...

Sid, I don't disagree with you on the scanning part....what concerned me was the 2nd part of your original statement which was essentially that 'after scanning, you could email them to the local photo store & have them reprinted...because the store couldn't see the back of the photo'.

Anyway....I haven't seen copyright stamps on the backs of their photos either, though I believe there's a sign at the point-of-purchase stating that copyright remains with the photographer.

But' date=' this does not include using your likeness for advertising purposes. My wife and I have been asked to sign "model releases" for the purpose of using some of our photographs for advertising.

PE[/quote']

They never consider my photos for their advertising....I wonder if it has something to do with the way I look :eek:

Archived