New to NCL baord

z-ski

We have sailed twice on the Carnival Valor ( balcony) and are looking to somewhat upscale. Considering the Pearl (mini suite) 10/2009 Eastern Caribbean, are we going in the right direction? I'm familiar with the Free Style concept but little else about NCL.

Thanks for your comments in advance!!

Welcome to NCL. We have sailed once on Carnival and have to say I enjoyed it the least of all of our cruises. With that said, I don't know if I could say that NCL is a step up, but just a step in a different direction. It is just a different experience in a way, than being on carnival. Freestyle dining is wonderful for us, but it is not for every one.

As far as the min-suites (and I am just being honest here), we have never stayed in one, we have only stayed in Penthouse suites (which is the one above a mini-suite). From what I have read on here, a mini is a glorified balcony cabin with very little extra's in comparison. Maybe others will be able to share more detail in that. Maybe what I have read is wrong. I would say to get more of the upscale feeling you might would have to get into a Penthouse or above.

I hope you choose to try NCL and I hope you love it as much as we do. I just want to make sure your expectations aren't wrong.

I tried a mini on the Dawn in April and Terry is right, it really is just a deluxe balcony. The word "suite" in its name is misleading.

I am trying a penthouse on the next cruise and think it will win me over.

We have sailed twice on the Carnival Valor ( balcony) and are looking to somewhat upscale. Considering the Pearl (mini suite) 10/2009 Eastern Caribbean, are we going in the right direction? I'm familiar with the Free Style concept but little else about NCL.

We've sailed in a balcony on the Valor and had a mini-suite for our last NCL cruise (Sun - Alaska repostioning).

The bathroom/walkin closet on NCL was the biggest difference. The NCL cabin and balcony was maybe a bit larger but nothing hugely noticable.

To each his own. You may find that the mini is a great improvement or you could be "ho-hum".

Here is a not-to-good pic of the mini. The bath would be behind me and included a walkin closet, sink, vanity, and bathtub. Yes, toilet too.

2881738055_1b5a9b759d.jpg

We like both lines and would consider it a lateral move from one to the other. IMHO you would be upscaling in the category of cabin only.

Charlie

Carnival is meant to be the worst in terms of food but I found the food on NCL very, very good. If you are an authority on bearnaise sauce and a lover of it and fine dining, you would love the star. The service and food was top notch. I am repeating this from another post but I do want to point out that some may not be used to more upscale food etc and may prefer steak and eggs and the like so therefore thay may not say the best things about NCL. I am married to a former chef who worked in the very finest of restaurants and he did comment that he was not confident the passengers really appreciated the food. To better explain, for those not in the know, the bearnaise sauce I refer to and rave about is known to be one of the finest sauces in the world. It is very expensive and fiddly to make and is made from clarified butter. It was invented to feed the king of France many moons ago and is therefore considered "the sauce of kings". You only get it in the best of restaurants and it was available all over the Star. That along with rack of lamb, port wine and peppercorn sauces, excellent steaks, oysters, escargot and more. To sum up- if you are a TGI Friday's, Claim Jumper, Chili's kind of person, NCL Star probably would not be for you. However, if you are like me and think Fleming's and Morton's steakhouses are the only way to dine, please DO try the Star as you would be very very happy.:) BEARNAISE SAUCE. MMMMMMMMMmmmmmmm. GOOD. And French champagne by the GLASS!!

Carnival is meant to be the worst in terms of food but I found the food on NCL very, very good. If you are an authority on bearnaise sauce and a lover of it and fine dining, you would love the star. The service and food was top notch. I am repeating this from another post but I do want to point out that some may not be used to more upscale food etc and may prefer steak and eggs and the like so therefore thay may not say the best things about NCL. I am married to a former chef who worked in the very finest of restaurants and he did comment that he was not confident the passengers really appreciated the food. To better explain, for those not in the know, the bearnaise sauce I refer to and rave about is known to be one of the finest sauces in the world. It is very expensive and fiddly to make and is made from clarified butter. It was invented to feed the king of France many moons ago and is therefore considered "the sauce of kings". You only get it in the best of restaurants and it was available all over the Star. That along with rack of lamb, port wine and peppercorn sauces, excellent steaks, oysters, escargot and more. To sum up- if you are a TGI Friday's, Claim Jumper, Chili's kind of person, NCL Star probably would not be for you. However, if you are like me and think Fleming's and Morton's steakhouses are the only way to dine, please DO try the Star as you would be very very happy.:) BEARNAISE SAUCE. MMMMMMMMMmmmmmmm. GOOD. And French champagne by the GLASS!!

I've made Bernaise Sauce for over 30 years and it is a piece of cake to make.. as is Hollondaise. It is not expensive either. The 3 major sauces use butter eggs and herbs. Good grief....all of the major sauces are quite easy!:)

Butter, eggs, lemon, herbs.........how easy is that?

Thanks for all your comments. We enjoy good food and variety but are by no means food snobs. I like the idea of having the option to dine alone or with a group. Just want to kick back and get away from high pressure job.

Getting back to you, the Pearl is a great ship. It is pretty, stylish, modern with a nice crew. We did the southern trip last spring. I thought the food was good, but miss the soups on Carnival.

The bowling is a hoot. There is rock climbing, a basketball court, and some of the coolest lounges I have ever seen on a ship.

Some people gripe and whine about nickle and diming, but I noticed no real difference between Carnival and NCL. Both lines are out to make money.

I would sail on the Pearl again in a second, it was the nicest cruise I have yet taken, but I would sail again on all of the the other ships I have been on, too. I may be pretty easy to please when I am on the water.

I like both Carnival and NCL, you probably will too.

I was on the Star in March 2005, back when they served filet mignon in the main dining room. Anyway, i think it was my first filet and they served it with the Bernaise sauce. I was skeptical about having it with this sauce, since i had never had this yet either.

I took my first bite and in heaven! It was all wonderful, so i back you up on the Star knowing how to make this sauce! Wow!

Terry -

I love Julia Childs too. I was actually working at the TV Food Network in Manhatten the day she joined the Network. I was on the "welcoming committee". Well she stepped off the elevator, with that hunched back way she walked so slow the doors closed on her. She just laughed it off...

Here I was just a lowly culinary student at the time and she talked to me like I was the most interesting person in the world. She was truly one in a million. I have one picture with her and it is one of my most prized possessions.

If Hollandaise sauce was so easy to make I wish somebody would show Carnival how to do it.:D

Actually, once you have clarified your butter you can make bearnaise or hollandaise easily. Once you learn to make it correctly, it is not that hard. But most people never learn, so those of us who do know have a "leg up".

Where these sauces are so precious are that they do not hold too long, they have to be kept at just the right temperature for food safety. Too cold they are not safe, too hot, they curdle. So typically restaurants have to re-make the sauces several times during service which is labor intensive.

I love Maltaise Sauce which is basically Hollandaise Sauce with Orange flavor added to it. YUM!!!!

Bon Appetit as Julia Child would say.

As has been said, welcome to NCL and the NCL board. MIni suites are larger than standard balcony cabins, other than that there isn't much difference, but yes, it is a slight upgrade and you will be happy with your choice.

everyone has an idea about what is better and which lines are better. Other than freestyle, I doubt you will find much differences in the two lines. NCL attracts a slightly older crowd (again this is statistically) and the night time activities are not quite as busy as Carnival. foodwise, this is just to subjective to say which is better.

I just hope you are happy with your choice, it is good to try different lines. Some people have no loyalty to any line and choose according to itinerary, pricing or use some other criteria, others find the brand that best suits them and will cruise that line over and over.

Nita

Nita

Sorry... I learned from the best: Childs and Beard.:)

And I stand by my original post. It is not difficult! It is not expensive and it does not take all day.;)

Amen

Also, the food on Carnival, is as good if not better than NCL, IMO.

Balcony stateroom on the Valor is 185 sf with a 35 sf balcony... the AF mini on the Pearl is 231 sf with a 54 sf balcony.

We recently returned to NCL and loved the experience. Most passengers tended to be of a middle-age to older demographic. No drunk teens riding the elevators, at least on our ship. ;) Our cabin was extremely small, but we'll correct that come next cruise. :)

Give it a whirl!

If Hollandaise sauce was so easy to make I wish somebody would show Carnival how to do it.:D

Actually, once you have clarified your butter you can make bearnaise or hollandaise easily. Once you learn to make it correctly, it is not that hard. But most people never learn, so those of us who do know have a "leg up".

Where these sauces are so precious are that they do not hold too long, they have to be kept at just the right temperature for food safety. Too cold they are not safe, too hot, they curdle. So typically restaurants have to re-make the sauces several times during service which is labor intensive.

I love Maltaise Sauce which is basically Hollandaise Sauce with Orange flavor added to it. YUM!!!!

Bon Appetit as Julia Child would say.

Exactly. And thanks for the head-up on Carnival. I spoke to many of the suite guests and people in Cagney's etc who swore they would never sail Carnival. It seems it's better if you like TGI Friday's etc but if you love fine dining, NCL is the way to go. Either way, whatever works. Happy Cruising!:)

We were pleasantly surprised by Carnival the last time we went with them. We looked at them for the cruise we are taking this month but we got such a great price from NCL, that we went with NCL. Find NCL's speciality dining options are great and the quality very high given cruise dining but the dining room experience on Carnival was better.

Less drunk teens on NCL which is a plus, too. I really want to try the supper club on Carnival sometime....Love the idea of dinner and dancing....not enough dancing on NCL.....Love the freestyle and tables for two anytime, though!

Can't go wrong either way IMHO.

I do have to say that the one thing that Carnival excels at IMHO is the piano bar.

If your a PB junkie it's the only line to cruise (at least of the 5 different ones we've sailed).

All other things that we normally encounter/use on a cruise have been pretty much equal.

Charlie

We were pleasantly surprised by Carnival the last time we went with them. We looked at them for the cruise we are taking this month but we got such a great price from NCL, that we went with NCL. Find NCL's speciality dining options are great and the quality very high given cruise dining but the dining room experience on Carnival was better.

Less drunk teens on NCL which is a plus, too. I really want to try the supper club on Carnival sometime....Love the idea of dinner and dancing....not enough dancing on NCL.....Love the freestyle and tables for two anytime, though!

Can't go wrong either way IMHO.

Could you elaborate more on your experiences regarding dancing? I missed that BAAAD on the Star.

we have found HAL the best of the cruise lines we have taken for dancing. They still have lounges with live music and couple dancing-some dancing very well, others just happy to be on the floor together (us). Have loved the trips where we can have a cocktail and a few dances before dinner (and after dinner). NCL doesn't seem to have that option offered as often and when they do, have not seen the couples flock to the floor.

For the club scene, Carnival and RCCL have roudy crowds which is also fun but later in the evening they can be very young and very intoxicated which gets old fast. Itinerary though defines the club scene more than the cruise line in my experience.

Archived