snorkeling from the beach

thatbloominplace

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
There is a really strong current there and it gets 8-10 feet deep within 20 feet of shore.

We took our kids there and it was hard to get back in.

We did not see many fish. I would not recommend it.

You had a rather unusual day, I'm sorry to say!

Holetown-324.jpg

You had a rather unusual day, I'm sorry to say!

Aplmac, could you please elaborate on this post? We have been to Barbados several times and have always done private tours to different areas, but have spent little time at the beach. This time I want to go to Folkstone. We have our own snorkel equipment, including fins. My husband is a strong swimmer, but I am not. I do have a floatation vest, which aids me in snorkeling. Is there much to see close to shore or is it necessary to go further out, and if so, how far? Would it be better/more enjoyable to take a boat snorkel trip?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Aplmac, could you please elaborate on this post? We have been to Barbados several times and have always done private tours to different areas, but have spent little time at the beach. This time I want to go to Folkstone. We have our own snorkel equipment, including fins. My husband is a strong swimmer, but I am not. I do have a floatation vest, which aids me in snorkeling. Is there much to see close to shore or is it necessary to go further out, and if so, how far? Would it be better/more enjoyable to take a boat snorkel trip?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Aplmac,

If you'd be so kind to answer my question also....

If we walk to the 'cheapside' bus stop and catch the bus to Folkstone, do we need B$ or will US$ work for the fare? If we need B$, is there someplace to exchange money near by?

Aplmac,

If we walk to the 'Cheapside' bus stop and catch the bus to Folkstone,

do we need B$ or will US$ work for the fare?

If we need B$, is there someplace to exchange money near by? ===> Local traders? shops?vendors?

No need to exchange your U.S.Dollars.

Most local folk, myself included are glad to receive US money(we stash it for later shopping trips to P.Rico,etc.!)

so just pay the bus guys U.S.$1 each and they'll be cool.

That's a bit over what's required,so they're happy!

Not sure about the big Blue Gov't. buses though...hmmm.

(I don't take the bus,okay?) I know tokens are in use

although can't say if tokens are mandatory or not.

Suspect your magic USD will work the trick, and you'll be facilitated.

Just ask before boarding, no problem!

The entrepreneurially-run ZR mini-vans will take USD that's fer sure.

These are white minivans with a maroon stripe around them, their registration plates are ZR

-------------------------

My comment re. an unusual day at Folkestone...

I suspect that person hit it on a surfy day

as happens sometimes during the winter months when North Swells come rolling down

(often overnight, and quite by surprise)

and this totally changes the characteristics of our normally placid West Coast beaches

even if it's a day or two after the swell has abated most of its strength.

It stirs up the water, strange currents happen, fish disappear,etc.

NOT a good time, but you're only here for The Day, not a whole week, so it's all about Lady Luck, huh?

-and ain't nuthin you nor I can about North Swells between Oct. and March!

Just a fact of life -that local surfers look fwd. to with great glee!!

The “ZR mini-vans” sound like a good way to travel to Folkestone. Where do you find them? Is the fare $1 US? How direct is the route and how long would it take to get to Folkestone? And then the part I always forget to plan for: how do we find them to get back to the ship?

The “ZR mini-vans” sound like a good way to travel to Folkestone. Where do you find them? Is the fare $1 US? How direct is the route and how long would it take to get to Folkestone? And then the part I always forget to plan for: how do we find them to get back to the ship?

Here's a thread that might help http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=705777&highlight=Folkstone

From what I understand, the ZR minivans stop at the same stops/places as the gvt buses. As Aplmac might would say just stick you hand out (it's the local custom), otherwise they won't stop. Think the fare is 1.50B$, thus why Aplmac is referring to the bit over the fare. 1 B$ = .50 US$

The “ZR mini-vans” sound like a good way to travel to Folkestone. ===> "Colorful"! :)

Where do you find them? ===>Everywhere?!

Is the fare $1 US? ===> US$ 0.75

How direct is the route and how long would it take to get to Folkestone? ===> 30-40 mins.? depends...

And then the part I always forget to plan for: how do we find them to get back to the ship? ===> Retrace your steps,basically!

Both the big blue Gov't.-run buses

and the maroon-striped ZR minivans start at a bus terminal in Cheapside

v.close to the Main Post Office, although the terminal is split into two sections..

one for the Gov't. operation, and the other for the ZR minivans.

There is one coastal road/"hiway"(don't laugh) going up the West Coast

it runs North/South, starting pretty much near the Port

and ending around Speightstown, our secondary township.

Catch any Holetown(halfway up the W.Coast) or Speightstown bus and you'll be OK.

The West Coast route is perhaps the easiest,most basic of our routes

because it goes up and down the coast,

with no off-routes until it gets beyond Speightstown,

which you aren't likely to take (do a taxi,if you're that adventurous!)

Catching the bus to come back.. is as simple as making your way back to the coastal road,

asking someone which way to Bridgetown(don't go the wrong way now!)

and waiting 2-5 mins. for the next bus or ZR mini-van to come along.

Travel in a small group and you'll have a ball! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Aplmac,

I'm the poster who thought Folkstone was rough. We were there in March 2003. Like I said, the strong current carried us to the right as you stand on the sand and look to the water. It was way over our heads and very hard to get back in. We have snorkeled many places and this was the most worried I have ever been. There was a guy in a rowboat or canoe keeping people away from the high reefs, but he did not help us. Like I said, it was compounded by the fact that the water got 8-10 feet deep very near the shore.

What is a typical day at Folkstone? Can you tell about types of fish, depth, calm or strong current? I would be willing to try again---this time with a life vest and fins!

Also, how far is is to swim out to the turtles or do you recommend going by boat?

Thank you so much for advising us about your beautiful island.

Aplmac,

I'm the poster who thought Folkstone was rough. We were there in March 2003.

Like I said, the strong current carried us to the right as you stand on the sand and look to the water.

It was way over our heads and very hard to get back in. We have snorkeled many places and this was the most worried I have ever been.

Like I said, it was compounded by the fact that the water got 8-10 feet deep very near the shore. ===> Most unusual!

What is a typical day at Folkstone? ===> Millpond conditions,almost!!

Can you tell about types of fish, depth, calm or strong current? I would be willing to try again---this time with a life vest and fins!

Also, how far is is to swim out to the turtles or do you recommend going by boat? ===> Boat is best, plus those guys know Where.

Sounds to me like you almost certainly had one of those rough days when a North Swell was rolling down,

and perhaps you shouldn't have been in the water at all, for your own safety!

I'm willing to bet underwater visibility was 2-3 ft. if that, due to sediment all stirred up by the wave action.

No wonder you "saw nothing"!

When the sea's like that, you stay ashore.

Oct to March(maybe April) is North Swell time of year

so you were certainly within the time-frame for these disruptive seas!

From June- September, the West Coast waters are usually warm and placid

with small waves gently lapping the shore.

There's usually a small step-down immediately beyond where the waves lap the shoreline

a step-down of no more than 1-2 ft. most days.

Guess you don't get to gauge sea-conditions much in Chattanooga, TN much, like how we know to 'read it' here

but you probably shouldn't have tried to snorkel there, that day.

Maybe next time.

Yes, use flippers..they help with propulsion, a lot.

Life vest un-necessary. :)

Alpmac, what about the end of April? After reading your posts on this beach we were thinking about trying it, but don't want to go if the surf is dangerous. What do you think?

Also, is there places to lay in the sun or even some shade? Also, any changing rooms or bars? From your pics, it looks very rocky on the beach.

Thanks so much. You are a wealth of knowledge on this port. I really appreciate it.

Oh!!! Thought of something else. I read that the this beach has a snorkeling trail, like at St John's. True?

Thanks!

Alpmac, what about the end of April? ===> Usually OK

After reading your posts on this beach we were thinking about trying it, but don't want to go if the surf is dangerous.

What do you think? ===> N.Atl. winter storms usually done by end April.

Also, are there places to lay in the sun or even some shade? ===> Shade yes,plenty -but beach is a bit small/narrow

Also, any changing rooms or bars? From your pics, it looks very rocky on the beach.

Thanks so much. You are a wealth of knowledge on this port. I really appreciate it. ===> U're very welcome

I read that the this beach has a snorkeling trail, like at St John's.

True? ===> Can't say with certainty..not sure, but think so.

North swells that affect sea conditions on the West Coast of Barbados

are generated by winter storms in the North Atlantic.

These storms are usually done and finished by end of March or so

and then our West Coast seas can rest in peace, with any suspended sediment settling out

and water clarity returning to its usual(Summer) conditions of 20-30 ft. visibility if not more.

This photo..

Holetown-324.jpg

...was taken at the end of May

and you can see those "small waves lapping gently at the shoreline"

(my description in a previous post).

There's lots of shade at Folkestone, but the beach can be a bit narrow at times

(more beach at Low Tide, less beach at High Tide).

Truth is...the darned North Swells eat away the beach during Winter months

and then it builds back gradually during the Summer months!

This is the nature of all beaches...they come and go at the whim of Nature's ocean cycles

refreshing the sand content as they do so.

And so I can't promise you a glorious beach at Folkestone, since it never did have a great one.

It's on a headland, and so we're lucky it has any beach at all,

because the general coastal pattern is Beachy Bays and Rocky Headlands.

Changing Rooms and Bars?

I haven't been in awhile, but I've seen posts from other cruisers to that effect... yes.

Bear in mind that Folkestone is a Gov't. run facility, and as such is geared more towards locals, not tourists,

and so the general infrastructure is not the greatest,

but cruisers do go there, have a good time and even survive the experience - LOL!

Snorkelling Trail? Another personal uncertainty:)

but I believe a snorkelling trail was laid down 20-30 years ago when the whole Marine Park thing was established.

Whether it has been maintained(we're not so good at that stuff) and the markers cleaned of moss

and/or replaced and attended to, I can't say..sorry.

I wouldn't depend on it.

If you see a Warden, I'd ask about it, so they get the idea that this feature is attractive to tourists

and maybe it should be kept attractive and easily visible.

We get little feedback on the Folkestone snorkelling thing

so when you get back, please let us know how you found it,

and whether there was a snorkelling trail, etc.

Promise?

• 4 weeks later...

We just went to Folkestone 3 weeks ago and had the same problem with the weather. It was just a bad day to try to snorkel. But the locals there all told us that normally this was the beach that offers the best snorkeling. There was even a security guard there and life guards. Bathrooms and showers available also. So if we ever get back - we'll definitely be going here again to try the snorkeling. My husband and his friend did go out 200 yards -(which worried me) - but they are both strong swimmers, they said they could see how wonderful it would have been to snorkel had the weather been cooperating. But I had swum out about 30 yards with my hubby and had a scary time trying to get back in with the current pulling me.

But if you are looking for a great beach, this is not it.

Man, you guys have the worst luck sea-conditions-wise!

Come back in Summer, when it's been flat for two months

when conditions are perfect..when the sea is clear and just lying there limp

no currents, no sudden drop-offs.

June, July, August.

Thanks anyway for your feedback.

• 3 weeks later...

we visited folkstone several years ago-one of the best days of my life. we sat on old plastic loungers after dealing with the current-tough that day but doable-and ate flying fish sandwiches from a lunch wagon. anyone know if that lunchwagon is still there? can't wait to do the day over again in april. after visiting many islands, barbados may pull us away from our favorite st john. thanks.

I've been to Folkstone twice, different years but both times in April & both times there was a stong current making it difficult to get back to shore. You have to go pretty far out to see anything. Barbados is not like the Caymans. The snorkelling (from the beach) is just ok in Barbados, not great.

Archived